Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CADETSHIPS 2012

• 06-03-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Just said I'd start a thread that people can post on if they get/hear any info on cadetships in 2012. Numbers. Dates etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Do the Irish army accept cadets with laser eye surgery?
    I know that Cork Fire Brigade recently advertised and will allow laser surgery if its stable for 2 years.

If the Irish army don't accept the laser surgery, then why not??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

I know that Cork Fire Brigade recently advertised and will allow laser surgery if its stable for 2 years.

No,
    Because it doesn't always stay corrected. If you talk to any optician (or who ever they are that do it) there's a chance it won't work, or won't work permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's not quite true. Because of the nature of the surgery, in that it re-profiles the cornea and changes the shape, it can't revert. Now, your eyes will degrade naturally over time, and that won't change, but the surgery can't reverse itself. In any case, the policy's been under review for a long time and it's expected to change, so wait and see any published guidelines for this year. The surgery won't always achieve standard 6/6 vision, but that's an issue of people's expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

Simple answer no. But in reality so long as you don't tell anyone at the medical stage you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Is anyone else hoping to go for a cadetship(if a competition is run) this year for their first time? And does anyone know if many have been accepted in recent years on their first try?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Tybalt wrote: »
    Is anyone else hoping to go for a cadetship(if a competition is run) this year for their first time? And does anyone know if many have been accepted in recent years on their first try?

don't intend going for it but I have had 2 mates accepted first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Tybalt wrote: »
    Yep, im just finishing my leaving cert this year and will be applying whenever the competition commences:) does anyone know what they are like in regards to accepting 18/19 year olds? Are they reluctant to do so even if they have very good cvs and seem suitable for a cadetship or will my age play against me?

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Yep, im just finishing my leaving cert this year and will be applying whenever the competition commences:) does anyone know what they are like in regards to accepting 18/19 year olds? Are they reluctant to do so even if they have very good cvs and seem suitable for a cadetship or will my age play against me?

It won't be your age going against you so much as the fact that you're only just out of school. You'll be going up against people with degrees, some of which are already in the Army Reserve. So you're gonna wanna really stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Turbine wrote: »
    It won't be your age going against you so much as the fact that you're only just out of school. You'll be going up against people with degrees, some of which are already in the Army Reserve. So you're gonna wanna really stand out.

Although it sounds like it's true, a true leader will stand out regardless of his age or degree.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

discus wrote: »
    Although it sounds like it's true, a true leader will stand out regardless of his age or degree.

True, but you also get points added to your application for having a degree or for being in the RDF. So it makes a difference.

Thanks for the quick replys lads! Ive a fairly good cv that I think will stand out(school prefect/qualified lifeguard/bronze and silver gaisce medal/ qualified swimming instructor) so hopefully I'll have a fair chance! Just a bit worried about being so young!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Thanks for the quick replys lads! Ive a fairly good cv that I think will stand out(school prefect/qualified lifeguard/bronze and silver gaisce medal/ qualified swimming instructor) so hopefully I'll have a fair chance! Just a bit worried about being so young!

Your cv isn't great and its not your fault (I am the same age as you so I know that its very hard to have as much things on it that someone in their late 20's would have). But you should know that you are competing with Rdf nco's, uni grads (engineering especially would be looked for so if you are doing that in uni now,great job) and even inter county players which the army love getting a hold off. My advice to you is try and get into the rdf this will help you a lot also even if you dont get through you will atleast know what will be expected of you in future competitions (some officers have tried 4+ time before they got accepted). Also if you are willing to take a step down so to speak and go in through general enlistment then your age would in some cases be seen as an advantage as opposed to cadets where your lack of life experience would be seen as a disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I've met guys out of sandhurst who are not even 21 yet, so they certainly didn't have degrees or whatnot.

I wouldn't say his CV is bad either. Seems fairly well rounded. If I take it at face value, then it is better than the CV of aquaintances of mine who had far less than that, yet still got cadetships!

CIGANO wrote: »

Your cv isn't great and its not your fault (I am the same age as you so I know that its very hard to have as much things on it that someone in their late 20's would have). But you should know that you are competing with Rdf nco's, uni grads (engineering especially would be looked for so if you are doing that in uni now,great job) and even inter county players which the army love getting a hold off. My advice to you is try and get into the rdf this will help you a lot also even if you dont get through you will atleast know what will be expected of you in future competitions (some officers have tried 4+ time before they got accepted). Also if you are willing to take a step down so to speak and go in through general enlistment then your age would in some cases be seen as an advantage as opposed to cadets where your lack of life experience would be seen as a disadvantage.
    . Thanks for your opinion about my cv but I believe it is pretty good and I think it demonstrates leadership and responsibility in my character which any interview board for a cadetship would be looking for. There are not many people in their late 20's who have been awarded medals from the president, nor are there many who are qualified lifesavers and swimming instructors. But yes I will try to get into the rdf to gain some experience and further strengthen my cv. Thanks for the reply.

. Thanks for your opinion about my cv but I believe it is pretty good and I think it demonstrates leadership and responsibility in my character which any interview board for a cadetship would be looking for. There are not many people in their late 20's who have been awarded medals from the president, nor are there many who are qualified lifesavers and swimming instructors. But yes I will try to get into the rdf to gain some experience and further strengthen my cv. Thanks for the reply.

Quik tip; Your CV means jack. Its an interview. It would be very easy to have a terrible CV and make yourself look like a better potential leader of soldiers in an interview than someone with medals for civillian volunteering and having been a qualified swim instructor. Its an interview, not a CV comparison. Prepare for interview. Because that is what it is. Do not in anyway prepare to fall back on how good your CV is because thats not the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Pure mule. I'm not belittling your achievements, but at the interviews last year I was blown away by the calibre of the applicants, which was very high.

When everyone else you are up against is also:

An Hons Degree holder
    Captain of "X"
    Serving RDF NCO
    Examples of community involvement and leadership experience

These impressive skills become the norm and it becomes a very even playing field with hardly any differentiation between candidates bar their performance on the day.

Just for information, the DF have put up a post on military.ie today explaining that they are just waiting for sanction from the department of defence to begin the competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

feeney92 wrote: »
    Your Cv is just a tool to get you to the interview, after that its up to you!

Exactly

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, to be honest I thought the cv would have more to do with it than it actually does so thanks for setting me straight there. I guess it's just how I sell myself on the day! Thanks for all the replies anyway lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheBigLt

I applied last year straight out of school, got into the top 300 out of the 2000 or whatever applied. Did the physical was in the top 3 in my group of just over 80. Did the group exercise was pretty pleased with both my own plan and my teamwork with others in my group. The morning we were leaving the Curragh an army officer said if you're straight out of school do the interview in Irish, 1 out of the 6 or so of us school leavers said they would do the interview in Irish the rest of us weren't called back. My point is they won't send you forward to interview unless you have a degree, reserve or other military experience or a relative currently serving as an officer. Or if you show some extraordinary ability but it's hard for that to shine in the application process.

TheBigLt wrote: »
    I applied last year straight out of school, got into the top 300 out of the 2000 or whatever applied. Did the physical was in the top 3 in my group of just over 80. Did the group exercise was pretty pleased with both my own plan and my teamwork with others in my group. The morning we were leaving the Curragh an army officer said if you're straight out of school do the interview in Irish, 1 out of the 6 or so of us school leavers said they would do the interview in Irish the rest of us weren't called back. My point is they won't send you forward to interview unless you have a degree, reserve or other military experience or a relative currently serving as an officer. Or if you show some extraordinary ability but it's hard for that to shine in the application process.
    Im nearly fluent in Irish so I might chance that:p FairPlay though on getting that far! Will you be trying this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

I can confirm that there was 2 school leavers on my interview day me being one of them :rolleyes: one is now a cadet. we did the Irish interview too very similar to an oral but you must be quick and no stuttering.

That's not true. They don't pick who goes through to interview on credentials. You failed to go through to interview because you didn't score high enough in the group stage. Fitness test is pass/fail. You don't get points for doing better than others. The language you chose to do your interview in, whether your'e a reservist or not, or if you have a degree, all have literally 0% effect on whether you get an interview or not. They certainly effect how you will do in the interview because bonuses are awarded for Irish interview, having a degree, or being a reservist though. But at the stage in the competition that you got to, they mean nothing. Sorry to burst your bubble (and I dont mean that in a slagging/derogatory way at all), but you didn't get through because there were 100 people that did better than you in the group test.

Im nearly fluent in Irish so I might chance that:p FairPlay though on getting that far! Will you be trying this year?
    I'm not really sure to be honest, plagued with injury at the moment haven't been able to train for the last 4 months. But I might apply to show them i'm still interested. Even if you don't get in or even past the first or second stage it's a great experience. My advice find an officer who would be higher rank than lieutenant, who has experience with interviewing or the cadet process and get as much information as you can. Physical is easy until the run, your run time contrary to what people may think is taken into account at interview stage, well so two commandants and a captain told me. Good luck and never give up!

That's not true. They don't pick who goes through to interview on credentials. You failed to go through to interview because you didn't score high enough in the group stage. Fitness test is pass/fail. You don't get points for doing better than others. The language you chose to do your interview in, whether your'e a reservist or not, or if you have a degree, all have literally 0% effect on whether you get an interview or not. They certainly effect how you will do in the interview because bonuses are awarded for Irish interview, having a degree, or being a reservist though. But at the stage in the competition that you got to, they mean nothing. Sorry to burst your bubble (and I dont mean that in a slagging/derogatory way at all), but you didn't get through because there were 100 people that did better than you in the group test.
    Oh I'm not too worried at all, my first time out, young and willing to try something great. I know what you're saying and I do agree with it mostly. It's a serious competition, more doctors qualify each year than cadets. It's dog eat dog. The only point I'm trying to make is, the army have in recent years picked more college graduates than school leavers, one reason is probably so they don't have to pay to put them through college. For me, I can't join the reserves because since I turned 17 none of the reserve units in my local or greater area have taken anyone in. It's quite frustrating to be honest. So now I'm in college doing my level 8 hopefully to graduate and by then be a reservist and go back and blow them out of the water. (Well hope they will be a little more impressed anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

awarding extra points for irish is kind of retarded. how the hell does having irish make somebody a better soldier?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

paky wrote: »
    awarding extra points for irish is kind of retarded. how the hell does having irish make somebody a better soldier?

I think it's something to do with the Irish language in the pubic sector, I've read something about it in another thread. And it is not "r******d".

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not too worried at all, my first time out, young and willing to try something great. I know what you're saying and I do agree with it mostly. It's a serious competition, more doctors qualify each year than cadets. It's dog eat dog. The only point I'm trying to make is, the army have in recent years picked more college graduates than school leavers, one reason is probably so they don't have to pay to put them through college. For me, I can't join the reserves because since I turned 17 none of the reserve units in my local or greater area have taken anyone in. It's quite frustrating to be honest. So now I'm in college doing my level 8 hopefully to graduate and by then be a reservist and go back and blow them out of the water. (Well hope they will be a little more impressed anyway)

Yeah they do look for those kinds of peope more, but not at the stage that you got to.

The run times are taken into account but have no effect on your performance. Its pass/fail. I presume they're taken account of so when it boils down to it at the end, if two people had a similar score in the competition over all, it might matter. But generally, it doesn't matter.

Advertisement