Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Howth Hill Climb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

cdaly_ wrote: »
    And knocked off another second this evening for 10m59...
    Were you wearing a boards jersey and if so did you do the climb around five? I did it around then (in yellow jacket) and did it roughly same pace as you so would give me good idea of my own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Was that you who hit the top just before me? There was no sign of anyone behind me at the bottom when I started up so I reckon you did it a good bit faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Think I saw you too, had you aerobars on? I waved at someone in a new Boards jersey anyway as they descended towards Sutton. I was in some French blue and white jersey on a red Felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

did 7.55 yesterday at full tilt. was fair wrecked after it. wind was kinda all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Good work. You flew up it the day we did it together also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

did 7.55 yesterday at full tilt. was fair wrecked after it. wind was kinda all over the place.

Is that twice under 8minutes for you this year? Impressive. Must give it a go myself some day. Although to be fair you make even me look fat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Was that you who hit the top just before me? There was no sign of anyone behind me at the bottom when I started up so I reckon you did it a good bit faster...
    Yeah that was me. I overtook you and then you overtook me and then I overtook you again. I started a bit behind you. You did flat/downhill section very quickly compared to me anyway as I had almost caught you at that bit only for you to go into distance before I caught you again near enough to the top.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Had a crack at the sutton side this afternoon: 11.21 on the mtb (although with city tyres)
    Went up a second time for ****s and giggles and got 12.09.

thereturn wrote: »
    Yeah that was me. I overtook you and then you overtook me and then I overtook you again. I started a bit behind you. You did flat/downhill section very quickly compared to me anyway as I had almost caught you at that bit only for you to go into distance before I caught you again near enough to the top.

I kinda have to. I reckon it's my only chance of getting anywhere near a decent time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

New PB 09:25 -can't beat having a gale behind you. Also set a new PB (the wrong kind) on the way back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

New PB tonight 11.03. Previous was 11.27. Might sound crap but first recorded time a few months back was a crap 13.55 so getting there. Took it handy til the golf club entrance and kicked on then. Made all the difference.

On way down went down Shielmartin Road and turned around and went back up it (just for giggles). Tis a nice ramp that. Anyone know how steep that gets?

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    New PB tonight 11.03. Previous was 11.27. Might sound crap but first recorded time a few months back was a crap 13.55 so getting there. Took it handy til the golf club entrance and kicked on then. Made all the difference.

I know the feeling. I get dead jealous hearing 7 or 8 minute times until I remember I'm racing only myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Did a few reps of the sutton side in the hail stones last night - serious amount of cyclists out and about on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Did 8:05 last night at nearly 11 pm. I risked looking like a tool sitting in full cycle attire at a meetiing in my kids' school in order to get out for a spin afterwards. Bloody thing went on until 10:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

kennyb3 wrote: »
    ... in the hail stones last night....
    .... sitting in full cycle attire at a meetiing in my kids' school in order to get out for a spin afterwards....

You Swords guys getting a bit obsessive about this climb:)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Did 8:05 last night at nearly 11 pm. I risked looking like a tool sitting in full cycle attire at a meetiing in my kids' school in order to get out for a spin afterwards. Bloody thing went on until 10:30.

Thats impressive dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Risked? Sounds like you went way beyond risking it! :D

Thats impressive dedication.

It was feckin freezing too.

In relation to the Swords/Howth obsession, I usually head out that way if I get out for a spin on a midweek evening but I rarely time myself - haven't done so since early April. As for kennyb3 and pprendiville, those guys are nutcases. ;)

However, I did a few repeats from both sides last night and I went right at the church on the last go. As I cycled in the dark looking down on Dublin Bay at midnight after the brutal climb up there, any sense of serenity was shattered by the knowledge that I probably needed mental help.

You sure that you "only" risked it!?! Must have been well dark by then?

Apologies - only saw the other "risked it" reply after I posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Did this in 9 mins flat this evening, that starting line is very faint.

defo can improve this as cycled up from fairview to do it an wasnt cycling to teh max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Hilarious. Did you sleep at all after exercising at that time though? I can't do anything after about 6ish without the heart rate keeping me up all night.

a148pro wrote: »
    I can't do anything after about 6ish without the heart rate keeping me up all night.

Relationship advice is a whole other forum;)

I slept fine after a long hot shower to restore the circulation and a few minutes with my head in a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

I've been following this thread for a while now but hadn't gotten out to give the TT a bash yet. Was finally out last night for the first time (timing) myself on it and got 8:29. I was very happy as I wouldn't consider myself one of the faster climbers. Is there a table somewhere to see the fastest 10 people's times? sorry if this is already put up somewhere but I didn't see it in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've been following this thread for a while now but hadn't gotten out to give the TT a bash yet. Was finally out last night for the first time (timing) myself on it and got 8:29. I was very happy as I wouldn't consider myself one of the faster climbers. Is there a table somewhere to see the fastest 10 people's times? sorry if this is already put up somewhere but I didn't see it in the thread.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9kjEwXA_hedEQ0ZEw1S3pMVHVIYkdYRG8yTzZjNFE&authkey=CJbI14kF&hl=en_GB#gid=0
    Is the details from the last TT. The times up Howth do very wildly due to the wind so keep that in mind. For instance my time on the TT was 7:32 but last night I did a PB on my own run from the traffic lights to the gate at the top, and covered the Boards TT in 7:50ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I did it yesterday, got 10.34 which is not quite as bad as I thought (first time out, so I guess it's a PB!), but plenty of scope for improvement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

We need another Boards TT :) On a Wednesday or Thursday evening!

Did this today in 3.27. Happened to be in the car at the time. I presume that still counts as a PB :rolleyes:

. Was finally out last night for the first time (timing) myself on it and got 8:29. I was very happy as I wouldn't consider myself one of the faster climbers.

That's a really good time. It's not an all-out hill climb by any means. The gradient is shallow enough after the first section and there's a downhill bit and some flattish parts. There's plenty there for the power guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

It was feckin freezing too.

In relation to the Swords/Howth obsession, I usually head out that way if I get out for a spin on a midweek evening but I rarely time myself - haven't done so since early April. As for kennyb3 and pprendiville, those guys are nutcases. ;)

However, I did a few repeats from both sides last night and I went right at the church on the last go. As I cycled in the dark looking down on Dublin Bay at midnight after the brutal climb up there, any sense of serenity was shattered by the knowledge that I probably needed mental help.

Have you thought of applying for the obsession advert for Calvin Klein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Ryaner wrote: »
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9kjEwXA_hedEQ0ZEw1S3pMVHVIYkdYRG8yTzZjNFE&authkey=CJbI14kF&hl=en_GB#gid=0
    Is the details from the last TT. The times up Howth do very wildly due to the wind so keep that in mind. For instance my time on the TT was 7:32 but last night I did a PB on my own run from the traffic lights to the gate at the top, and covered the Boards TT in 7:50ish.

Thanks, looking forward to the next TT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement