Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird feeder

• 31-07-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Do people leave the bird feeder out in their garden all day? or do you place it out say, twice a day at certain times?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We leave ours out all the time, the birds only seem to visit it at certain times.

Apart from the pigeons, we have a core group of 5 pigeons that sit under the feeder waiting for the small birds to drop food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Hi , the same happens here... The pigeons peck around under our feeder!

Its the sparrows who eat from it all the time, i've seen a starling on it once or twice but he gets fed up as hes a bit big for it.

I was just wondering if people time it , as the sparrows seem to be greedy lately, they have been around it alot during the day , ripping through its contents..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

We leave out our feeders all day every day! Don't bring them in as birds become dependent on their food supply.
    Generally it's busier in the morning and in the evening moreso in the Winter.
    For the last few weeks my Mum's feeders has been very busy with many sparrows visiting.

You can get special feeders which don't allow access to larger birds or squirrels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I got one of those special feeders...it didn't work. A big Rook grabbed the top of it and started shaking the seed out of it for all his buddies waiting below. I have to say though, I was so taken aback I just started laughing. Clever git. :D

I do leave it out all day now, in the last week or so a blue tit has started to visit also hes like a little acrobat hanging upside down in our hedge after he eats in the feeder, yeah the sparrows come in the morning and afternoon to get fed then disappear somewhere in between and I rarely see them after 5pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I don't feed birds during summer but leave it out 24/7 during winter.
    I have an example of how it is not the same birds one sees all the time.

I had birds ringed in my garden.
    On one occassion during 2 hours about 40 Great Tits were ringed. The most I ever saw at one time was 10. From this insight I think it likely that if feeder is removed some will miss out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I live in Dublin city centre and we have a range of food on the balcony - oats, fatballs, suet with insects/fruit, peanuts and dried ground insects and dried grubworms that I was told robins would like but they're only taking a few. We leave it out all the time and have loads of finches and bluetits and their fledglings, we had blackbirds and their fledglings but they seem to have moved on, sparrows and robins. And, of course pigeons.

I'm thinking of switching from peanuts to seeds(or maybe give them half of each) , I noticed today Tesco sell a 2.3kg bag of seeds for wild birds

here

Field Fayre Wild Bird Food All Seasons Mix (2.3Kg)

http://www.fieldfayre.co.uk/index.php?page=birdfeed

Its seems a good deal, only 4euro for a 2.3kg bag
    Does any one buy this brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Mothman wrote: »
    I don't feed birds during summer but leave it out 24/7 during winter.
    I have an example of how it is not the same birds one sees all the time.

I had birds ringed in my garden.
    On one occassion during 2 hours about 40 Great Tits were ringed. The most I ever saw at one time was 10. From this insight I think it likely that if feeder is removed some will miss out.

I would love to get involved with something like that, tea maker and general helper fine by me!

I don't have my feeder out at the moment as pigeons were landing on it and flapping their wings to steady themselves. This resulted in the feeder becoming the 'Leaning Tower of Pigeons' or falling over completely. I only filled it up to the base of the second perch from the bottom to make it harder for the grey raiders. I hope the pigeons have moved on now.

Advertisement