Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

My family's reaction to my aunt going into hospital for depression... There's a reason I don't tell them things and that reason just punched me in the stomach :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Aoifums wrote: »
    My family's reaction to my aunt going into hospital for depression... There's a reason I don't tell them things and that reason just punched me in the stomach :(

Didn't react well? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Sh1t, I assume they didn't take it very well :( *hug*

That sort of thing really annoys me. If someone had to go into hospital because they broke a leg, people would be all over them wishing them a speedy recovery, bringing them in grapes and magazines and what not. But if someone goes into hospital for a mental health problem, it's treated totally different. I don't get it :/

cloud493 wrote: »
    Didn't react well? :(

Could be better. My mam could barely say the word 'depression'. Not as if half her family don't suffer from it :rolleyes: At least she acknowledged it this time. My aunt had a breakdown (or something) and I wasn't even told about it. :mad: You know, because depression is totally contagious!!

Sh1t, I assume they didn't take it very well :( *hug*

That sort of thing really annoys me. If someone had to go into hospital because they broke a leg, people would be all over them wishing them a speedy recovery, bringing them in grapes and magazines and what not. But if someone goes into hospital for a mental health problem, it's treated totally different. I don't get it :/

Sorry, didn't see this before I posted. Thanks :)

I know! It drives me up the wall!! It probably annoys just about everyone who posts here too.

• Advertisement

Could be better. My mam could barely say the word 'depression'. Not as if half her family don't suffer from it :rolleyes: At least she acknowledged it this time. My aunt had a breakdown (or something) and I wasn't even told about it. :mad: You know, because depression is totally contagious!!

That sucks :( ah well, least your aunts getting the help she needs, eventually the family will rally for her eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I think people genuinely don't understand mental problems and can react wrongly to them due to the sigma of such problems. Not condoning it at all - it's a well shitty situation to be in :(

Yeah I hope she gets help. From what the parents were saying when they didn't think I could hear ( :mad::mad::mad:) makes it sound like it's not her first time in hospital.

Yeah I hope she gets help. From what the parents were saying when they didn't think I could hear ( :mad::mad::mad:) makes it sound like it's not her first time in hospital.

Well, they should be more supportive(if you don't mind my saying so) but eventually, they'll come round to her :)

Well, they should be more supportive(if you don't mind my saying so) but eventually, they'll come round to her :)

Of course I don't mind. I really wanted to tell my mam to cop the f on. I didn't so I just posted here instead.

• Advertisement

I know, some people get funny when you insult their family though. Bloods thicker than water and all that :) Well, your family sound like they're not willing to accept the fact, that she really needs help. But the fact is, they love her. And, if they want the best for her, like family should(and do 99% of the time) they will do what's best for her, and be there for her. And you can be there for her too.

I know, some people get funny when you insult their family though. Bloods thicker than water and all that :) Well, your family sound like they're not willing to accept the fact, that she really needs help. But the fact is, they love her. And, if they want the best for her, like family should(and do 99% of the time) they will do what's best for her, and be there for her. And you can be there for her too.

I don't really understand it but I know some people who get like that. I think I'm mainly worried because it could be me in that situation some day. I don't think they're that supportive in general, or at least we're not on the same page in terms of support.

Well, I don't think you'd be in the same situation though. I think if your parents saw it was you, their own daughter, rather than an aunt even, they'd have to force themselves to try to understand. My own mother wasn't terribly receptive to the idea I needed some help, a few years ago. but she's come round now, and she's terribly supportive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Have my first appointment in months tomorrow with the Pysch clinic. Dreading it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

I'm barging back into this thread.

Does anyone else wish they were in prison? I told my psychiatrist that I wish I could just go to prison and she said "That's interesting. Why prison and not a hospital?", and I'm maybe just wallowing in the thought now because it's the one time she found me interesting :p

I told her I'd prefer prison because people would just leave me alone. In hospital, they'd be trying to treat me and ultimately release me. I want to go somewhere enclosed, where I have no more choices, and just surrender; just rest. I'm not suicidal, I'm just tired.

Anyone else?

Plumeria wrote: »
    I'm barging back into this thread.

Does anyone else wish they were in prison? I told my psychiatrist that I wish I could just go to prison and she said "That's interesting. Why prison and not a hospital?", and I'm maybe just wallowing in the thought now because it's the one time she found me interesting :p

I told her I'd prefer prison because people would just leave me alone. In hospital, they'd be trying to treat me and ultimately release me. I want to go somewhere enclosed, where I have no more choices, and just surrender; just rest. I'm not suicidal, I'm just tired.

Anyone else?

Yeah, sometimes. In a prison, you'd have some... peace, to use the word? but people wouldn't be that bothered in making you better, but you still couldn't hurt yourself. In a hospital, they'd try to force you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Very anxious most of the weekend. Mood was okish though. Win some, lose some.

Feeling fantastic today! :D Woke up feeling better than I've felt in the last month and a half. A couple of lovely things happened during the day too which has kept the mood up. I think just feeling better is making me happier. I don't care how it's happening, I really needed it. Fingers crossed it keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 belhaven fan

hi all on here,

I have been a long time lurker on here and have taken solace from knowing that others have similar experiences to myself. I have been to councelling for over a year and have been on lots of different meds. none of these have really helped with my anxiety or depression.

Most of the meds took edge off depression but increased anxiety to levels where i could not go to chemist. Am currently on prozac/fluoxetine.

The psychiatrist has suggested supplementing this with Lithium. I didnt think that they still used this. I am a little wary as he said there will have to be lots of check ups and blood tests for first few weeks.My anxiety makes it hard to get outside at the best of times. I have gone cold turkey on more than one drug due to anxiety of going first to doctor and then the pharmacy.

What i would like to now is if anybody on here has had experiences with this lithium, especially for anxiety

Ps I am not looking for medical advice but would like to hear of peoples experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm sorry. I don't really deserve to be posting here as I've no diagnosis of anything but this week is getting to me and it's only Tuesday. I can't believe it's only tuesday. Horrible sinking feeling. Lack of sleep last night. So tired and seem to need about 10 hours a night. I'm sorry, I know I'm invading this thread but I had to vent somewhere.

• Advertisement

Muddling through the day, lots of music and football manager is keeping me sane.

hi all on here,

I have been a long time lurker on here and have taken solace from knowing that others have similar experiences to myself. I have been to councelling for over a year and have been on lots of different meds. none of these have really helped with my anxiety or depression.

Most of the meds took edge off depression but increased anxiety to levels where i could not go to chemist. Am currently on prozac/fluoxetine.

The psychiatrist has suggested supplementing this with Lithium. I didnt think that they still used this. I am a little wary as he said there will have to be lots of check ups and blood tests for first few weeks.My anxiety makes it hard to get outside at the best of times. I have gone cold turkey on more than one drug due to anxiety of going first to doctor and then the pharmacy.

What i would like to now is if anybody on here has had experiences with this lithium, especially for anxiety

Ps I am not looking for medical advice but would like to hear of peoples experiences

Lithium is still used pretty widely in bipolar, quite a lot of people are on it. It's used in depression too when combined with other drugs if I recall correctly.

I'm sorry. I don't really deserve to be posting here as I've no diagnosis of anything but this week is getting to me and it's only Tuesday. I can't believe it's only tuesday. Horrible sinking feeling. Lack of sleep last night. So tired and seem to need about 10 hours a night. I'm sorry, I know I'm invading this thread but I had to vent somewhere.

Don't worry about needing a diagnosis. I don't have one either and I'm sure as hell posting here when I need to.

Damn akathisia has been back since the weekend. I had some blissful time there when it wasn't bothering me. Must be due to anxiety I think.

Today seems to be dragging on and on.

You're more than welcome to keep posting here. Regarding diagnosis, it would be a good idea to get talking to your doctor about you're feeling. Best to nip this in the bud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Temaz wrote: »
    Today seems to be dragging on and on.
    It really does. The past two hours have seemed like an eternity for some reason.

I'm feeling very lonely today for some reason... I don't know why. I've had chats (albeit on the phone) with two of my best friends, but I still can't shake this feeling. It's been like this a lot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Why are people such assholes ?

I'm feeling very lonely today for some reason... I don't know why. I've had chats (albeit on the phone) with two of my best friends, but I still can't shake this feeling. It's been like this a lot recently.

I'm the same the last while. Not nice at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Reading over the last couple of pages. Glad to hear some people are doing well and feeling a bit better.
    Things have not been great for me. They were going well but then I had a big slump and have become really paranoid and on edge in general. The anxiety is crippling. I could hardly speak to anyone today.
    Hope it passes soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement