Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research A Soldier

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Thanks R Dub i had the casualty link from CWGC already, very interesting about who he fought along side. im searching ebay for copies of the medals. would his name be put on the three medals originaly. if so then his medals are out there some where. Am i correct ? .

you have all the info on this next link http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/other-ranks/6000s/6000s.html but you might want to look over the site.

also had a look on WW1 "index to the wills of irish Soldiers who die 1914-1918" and could not find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

also had a look on WW1 "index to the wills of irish Soldiers who die 1914-1918" and could not find anything.

would you be able to do a will look up for Sapper Joseph Niland, number 95796, KIA 28th March 1917?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Nothing under Niland I'm afraid.

would you be able to do a will look up for Sapper Joseph Niland, number 95796, KIA 28th March 1917?

A44 beat me to it , but had a look , sorry nothing there.

thanks for looking chaps.

This family name has been contorted a couple of times to Neiland, Nyland, Neilan and even Miland on one occassion (one of Joe Niland's medal cards has him as Miland). Haven't been able to find his birth cert yet - the curse of Irish records ;-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This family name has been contorted a couple of times to Neiland, Nyland, Neilan and even Miland on one occassion (one of Joe Niland's medal cards has him as Miland). Haven't been able to find his birth cert yet - the curse of Irish records ;-(

Do you have a rough age for him? A name of a family member? An idea where in the country he was from?

i put all the above names in and nothing came up either .

spurious wrote: »
    Do you have a rough age for him? A name of a family member? An idea where in the country he was from?

I've put info and photos re Joe Niland and family in Findagrave at :

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=niland&GSfn=Joseph&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=12481935&

Born Dublin approx 1874; died March 1917, aged 43. A Sapper in 179th Tunnelling Co, Royal Engineers. Employed as a cooper at Guinness. Married to Jane Quinn. His father Hugh Niland was a cooper before him (having served in 2nd Bombay Regt of European Infantry in India, emigrated to Canada and then returned to Dublin). Brothers John and Hugh also coopers in Guinness.

I've not had access to the wills of WW1 Irish soldiers so was never sure if he'd left one or not.

i put all the above names in and nothing came up either .

thanks for doing that. Much appreciated.

I find the Wills cd rom very sparse with detail,if your lucky enough to find a name on it it only in most cases I've seen gives the bare minimum of details,nine thousand names are covered on it from the total that served with the British Army.

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I find the Wills cd rom very sparse with detail,if your lucky enough to find a name on it it only in most cases I've seen gives the bare minimum of details,nine thousand names are covered on it from the total that served with the British Army.

i agree with you. but i did find info on 3 or 4 people i was researching , and got 2 addresses of 2 lads from Belfast KIA 1 was in the Irish Fusiliers and the other in the Connaught Rangers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have come across 2 WWI medals for SPR. H Phillips R.E. 148080

R.E I'm guessing is Royal Engineers.

I'm on other stuff right now and don't have the time to do any research so if anyone else out there has some time to kill? :)

Ponster wrote: »
    I have come across 2 WWI medals for SPR. H Phillips R.E. 148080

R.E I'm guessing is Royal Engineers.

I'm on other stuff right now and don't have the time to do any research so if anyone else out there has some time to kill? :)

Medal card on Ancestry has him as Sapper Henry Phillips, Royal Engineers. VM & BWM. No service record, no pension record and no entry in CWGC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chalkie12

Hi, This is my first time posting anything so I hope Im doing it right!

Im trying to find out about two of my relations who both fought in WW1

The first is my Great Grandfather Michael McGuirk who was born in 1875 and fought in the in France with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. I know he was wounded in France but thats about all I know.

The other is my Grandfather Richard Basil Kelly who was born in 1890. I dont know much more than that about him.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be a great help

Hi chalkie12,welcome aboard,hopefully the lads here can turn up something.

chalkie12 wrote: »
    Hi, This is my first time posting anything so I hope Im doing it right!

Im trying to find out about two of my relations who both fought in WW1

The first is my Great Grandfather Michael McGuirk who was born in 1875 and fought in the in France with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. I know he was wounded in France but thats about all I know.

The other is my Grandfather Richard Basil Kelly who was born in 1890. I dont know much more than that about him.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be a great help

had a quick look at the medal index cards for the above names , there is dozens of richard kellys so not much help to you there. couldnt find a card to michael mcguirk / mcgurk in the irish fusiliers but did find michael mcguirk in the inniskilling fusiliers, irish rifles , dublin fusiliers , irish guards and 2 in the leinster regiment.

Do you know where they were born ?

Oh, and Welcome to Boards.ie :)

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Michael mcguirk was born in Dublin and Richard Kelly was born in Kildare. I found out that michael was a corporal and was taken prisoner in 1916 and that he was also wounded. Hope that's of some help.

Hi I just found out that michael mcguirk was initially in the royal Dublin fusiliers and then transfered to royal inniskilling fusiliers.

Hi I just found out that michael mcguirk was initially in the royal Dublin fusiliers and then transfered to royal inniskilling fusiliers.

michael landed in france on 3-5-1915 his number was 8681 and was entitled to the SWB. his medal index card also said he was discharged on 5-9-1916. it doesn't mention the inniskilling fusiliers.

• Advertisement

Thanks r dub, I appreciate your help.

Thanks r dub, I appreciate your help.

no bother , glad to help. i will try put up his medal index card when i get a chance unless someone else would like to do it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hi All

Was just wondering how I find information on my Great father - John Butler.
    He won the Military medal at the Battle of the Somme.

We have a letter the King wrote to him, but no one knows wher the medal is.

Wondering if I can search for information on him

Thanks

B

Merrilady wrote: »
    Hi All

Was just wondering how I find information on my Great father - John Butler.
    He won the Military medal at the Battle of the Somme.

We have a letter the King wrote to him, but no one knows wher the medal is.

Wondering if I can search for information on him

Thanks

B

Do you know when he was born or what reg. he served in ?

here is the medal index card for Michael McGuirk. if richard kelly was from Kildare there is a good chance he was in the Dublin fusiliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I'm not sure, he signed up here in Ireland, 7th or 8th battalion is ringing a bell, probabaly not enough information is it ?

He was from Dublin

Merrilady wrote: »
    I'm not sure, he signed up here in Ireland, 7th or 8th battalion is ringing a bell, probabaly not enough information is it ?

He was from Dublin

does the letter mention a rank, service number or any details of why he was awarded the MM?

Did he survive the war? Sadly, there's more information available for those that died than there is for those who survived.

7 John Butler medal cards for RDF

7th RDF were @ Gallipoli then Egypt/Palestine
    8th RDF were @ Hulluch, Somme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

<Deleted Link>

Hello - I am looking to find out more about the man above.
    My grand-uncle who served and died in France in 1916.
    Where he served etc.?
    How best can I find this please?

I have a relative buried in the same cemetery :

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=61346

from Ancestry :

Medal card has him as Michael Hynes. served in the Balkans entering the theatre 19/1/1915. 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal awarded.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW)and Ireland's Memorial Records has him as Martin Hynes. From SDGW :

Name:Martin Hynes
    Birth Place:Mountross, Co. Galway
    Residence:Headford, Co. Galway
    Death Date:1 Jul 1916
    Death Location:France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location:St. Helens, Lancs
    Rank Private
    Regiment:Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Battalion:1st Battalion
    Number:432
    Type of Casualty Died of wounds

based on the entry from SDGW and the memorial record from CWGC, this might be the family in 1901 :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Killeany/Mountross/1400202/

No service record for this Martin Hynes on Ancestry but there is one for an older Martin Hynes who served with the Connaught Rangers and was discharged in 1903. He gives his parents address as Gort but lists a brother Michael in Headford, Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I have a relative buried in the same cemetery :

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=61346

from Ancestry :

Medal card has him as Michael Hynes. served in the Balkans entering the theatre 19/1/1915. 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal awarded.

Johnny - Many thanks for this find - this means a lot to me.

Advertisement