Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did the PDF ever use suppressed ("silenced") weapons?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I just picked up a re-production of a Delisle Carbine (a silenced 45 caliber mag fed Lee-Enfield)
    They were made to take out sentries/guard dogs etc quietly, invented during the second world war.
    Its very very quiet, most of the sound is the firing pin dropping.
    I got to wondering if there was ever an official suppressed firearm used by the PDF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All suppressed .45 weapons are very effective as the .45 round is subsonic so no ballistic crack from the round. A suppressed 9mm is louder than a .45 unless subsonic 9mm rounds are used that have a side effect of not cycling the action reliably due to the lower pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Regular PDF personnel do not use any suppressed weapons, the ARW use certain suppressed weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's a few pics of the ARW using suppressed rifles in a sniping role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockey01

PDF don't use suppressed weapons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Rockey01 wrote: »
    PDF don't use suppressed weapons..

somali_1104661t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Thats a pose picture... What do you expect?

Your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

How about this then? From the time of the Queen's visit.

416_cp24_queen_security_110517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

BTW here's my Delisle

8017486290_c48f4107bf_b.jpg
    Untitled by harmoniums, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockey01

amurph0 wrote: »
    somali_1104661t.jpg

Except for those of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

amurph0 wrote: »
    somali_1104661t.jpg
    Blay wrote: »
    How about this then? From the time of the Queen's visit.

416_cp24_queen_security_110517.jpg

They're ARW personnel, the heli pic is a pose picture, they commonly use H&K weapons like the 416 as an assault rifle and the 417 (seen in first pic), dunno what the weapon in the 2nd pic is but it ain't the AI the PDF use...

Cud be another 417 with a different sight and bi-pod legs...

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    They're ARW personnel, the heli pic is a pose picture, they commonly use H&K weapons like the 416 as an assault rifle and the 417 (seen in first pic), dunno what the weapon in the 2nd pic is but it ain't the AI the PDF use...

Cud be another 417 with a different sight and bi-pod legs...

Never said they were regular PDF..I stated in my previous post that the ARW use them in a sniping role.

It is a HK417, it has the same transparent mag as the other pic, same stock and rail system, the scope and the bipod are obvious situation specific changes.

Another posed pic with the same rifle setup as they used in the pic from the Queen's visit:

98542055.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Blay wrote: »
    Never said they were regular PDF..I stated in my previous post that the ARW use them in a sniping role.

It is a HK417, it has the same transparent mag as the other pic, same stock and rail system, the scope and the bipod are obvious situation specific changes.

Another posed pic with the same rifle setup as they used in the pic from the Queen's visit:

98542055.jpg

Oh rite sry, ur last post sounded like u were making a point agreeing with yer man that PDF were using them during the Queens visit...

Cheers for the info about the pic, cudn't make out the rifle but suspected it to be a H&K 417 alrite,

Advertisement