Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

• 30-04-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I've always wondered, whenever I've seen the Angelus before the news.

In the last few years the Angelus has changed. It used to be that whenever the bells would ring for the Angelus, that the person would stop what they were doing at once and look up at the sky or what have you.
    Now however, everybody just carries on what they're doing, and seem oblivous to it completely, what's that about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Cue Catholic Church bashing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Well if you don't know, then nobody will. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Well if you don't know, then nobody will. Damn.

Ninja edit makes a fool of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

The Angelus

The variety of threads here makes every Groundhog Day seem original.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Cause nobody gives a sh**e about the church anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Now however, everybody just carries on what they're doing, and seem oblivous to it completely, what's that about?

they probably arent saying the anglus, they just dont give a fúck like the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

This is something I've always wondered, whenever I've seen the Angelus before the news.

In the last few years the Angelus has changed. It used to be that whenever the bells would ring for the Angelus, that the person would stop what they were doing at once and look up at the sky or what have you.

We're in the middle of a recession, nobody has time to stop and reflect, time is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i haven't seen the angelus in years. is it still as exciting as i remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bong....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Cause nobody gives a sh**e about the church anymore!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FatherLen wrote: »
    i haven't seen the angelus in years. is it still as exciting as i remember?

They should invite guest film directors to put their own spin on the minute of piety.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    The variety of threads here makes every Groundhog Day seem original.

You've enlightened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Probably time it was scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

mike65 wrote: »
    They should invite guest film directors to put their own spin on the minute of piety.

michael bay.

bong

bong

*massive explosion*

bong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

We learned how to multitask, walking and acting normally whilst praying is second nature now.

Beats having to stop & look up into the sky just so other people will know you're praying and not burn you at stake like in olden times.

I always considered it to be setting a dangerous example... if you were doing something anyway half important, the notion of just stopping all of a sudden because of a bell seemed crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

true story, I asked to be quiet in someones house because the angelus was on, I wasnt even in the same room I was out in the kitchen nowhere near the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

eviltwin wrote: »
    Or at least upgraded to Beep's. Dings and dongs are so last year.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

krudler wrote: »
    true story, I asked to be quiet in someones house because the angelus was on, I wasnt even in the same room I was out in the kitchen nowhere near the tv.

Whenever I'm in the company of my Gran and she hears the Angelus, I'm forced to recite it out with her. I make sure I never visit approaching 12 O'Clock or 6 O'Clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It should be replaced by this only instead of emanuel goldstein oul bertie:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes_Hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Whenever I'm in the company of my Gran and she hears the Angelus, I'm forced to recite it out with her. I make sure I never visit approaching 12 O'Clock or 6 O'Clock.

recite it? "bong....bong.....bong....bonnnnnnnggggg"

least the lyrics are easy to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mike65 wrote: »

I'm sure Tarantino could squeeze in a 'washing of the feet' there somewhere.;)

It's gradually going that way anyway. It's amazing how one minute of the angelus manages to get people's noses more than three minutes of the most annoying shíte advertising you can possibly imagine and then three hours odd of soaps.

There's one thing as mind-numbing and repetitive as the angelus bells, and that's threads about the angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

prinz wrote: »
    I'm sure Tarantino could squeeze in a 'washing of the feet' there somewhere.;)

It's gradually going that way anyway. It's amazing how one minute of the angelus manages to get people's noses more than three minutes of the most annoying shíte advertising you can possibly imagine and then three hours odd of soaps.

There's one thing as mind-numbing and repetitive as the angelus bells, and that's threads about the angelus.

I don't find it offensive at all...if anything it reminds me its nearly time for the news. Its part of the furniture but I wonder how many people observe it. Am I right in thinking there are prayers to be said as its on? I just wonder if it serves a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Cue Catholic Church bashing...

lol to be honest they do deserve a good bashing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

They tried to change it up a few yrs ago but it was not allowed for some funny reason......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

RTE needs to get rid of it. Its an awful racket before the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AskJives

Basically,
    over the last few years RTE has subtly removed many religious aspects to the Angelus and introduced a more multi-cultured Ireland. So instead of religious imagery you see african people or asian people etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't find it offensive at all...if anything it reminds me its nearly time for the news. Its part of the furniture but I wonder how many people observe it. Am I right in thinking there are prayers to be said as its on? I just wonder if it serves a purpose.

Can't see many observing it tbh, perhaps older people, the last person I knew of actually adhering to it was my grandmother who is long dead. There is a standard Angelus prayer you can get it here..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus

Seems to me if I was actually trying to say the bells would be more of a hindrance than a help :pac: Anywho the angelus bells let me know it's time for Eggheads over on BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Hmmm, this thread rings a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

IM0 wrote: »
    bong....
    *drops shovel and looks forlornly at the sky*

Advertisement