Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated phrases

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I have a few

totes....its totes cool like...**** off
    kid....dont you ever call me kid again
    yeah buddy....really?
    biatch....usually screamed by drunken young ones doing their duck face pose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When someone in an arguement on boards writes "Now run along.." followed by this smiley,:rolleyes: As if they are arguing with a child. You sound like a child yourself if you do this. It's like writing something and then at the end type in 'FACT' because you cant stand the fact that someone has a different opinion to you. Whoever does this, you know who you are. And I hate you.

Anyway..

Occasionally compounded by adding "the adults are talking :rolleyes:" after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Milana Rotten Redcoat

Happy out
    Happy days
    In the heel of the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

The one that does my head in, and I mostly hear it in soaps or the like, is when they use the word before instead of earlier. eg "Sorry about what I said before".

All I can think is "Before what you retard", before someone jumps in and kicks your head in, before you said something else, before you died, before you closed the door, before what???????

I don't even care if it is correct to say before, it is retarded, sounds wrong and drives me demented.
    Of course I should just leave the room when the wife is watching soaps, but even so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You approach the barman and it's something I spent many years doing

"Pint of bud, bud" as you congratulate yourself at your clever wordplay

Wow, Oscar Wilde is alive and well. I couldn't go a few days without someone saying this.
    And I'm not your bud

Barman drops a glass or a maybe a hot glass from the glasswasher shatters as you were stacking them. Hey no big deal, we get the glasses for free and every barman that ever lived has broken a few glasses
    "Wahheeyy" shout the smartarses and you get a bualadh bos.
    "Do ya want a hammer?" shouts the amateur wit

If I was owner I'd bar ye all :mad:
    And everyone thinks they are so original. Sure every bar and pub I've worked in Galway and Tipp had this.
    Zero originality means ye are not funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

"You know what I mean" at the end of EVERY sentence :mad:

Constant uses of the phrases "Essentially" "Basically" "Fundamentally"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

being told by bouncers i've had too much to drink when i haven't had any drink.

Award winning restaurant has its grand opening this Saturday
    Please come and try our bla bla bla

I read the trade journals and I'd be often looking at job ads for the hospitality area

So tell me, how did you win an award when the restaurant hasn't even opened yet :confused:

Now it could be explained by award winning chef but they didn't put that in the ad

In summary, all ads are lies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Austerity measures: They're not austerity measures,they are just another way of gouging money out of us. STOP USING THAT BLOODY PHRASE!!!

Death to staycation. Some morketing [yes morketing] clown on a Fáilte Ireland salary and too much time on their hands

Death to Ireland Inc.
    I did like the Sinn Féin jokes about Ireland Ink though, that was clever :)

Death to free delivery on pizza company ads. It's not free delivery, it's built into the price, sure you have carryout special so I can see the difference. Yiz are like airlines, hiding and bundling fees

Death to smart arse colleagues who say "oh half day for you so" as you get up to go home.
    No you clown, I'm leaving on time but unlike you I don't work for free. No overtime means no late evenings.
    And I didn't take tea breaks and smoke breaks so I got my **** done.
    And you're not great for staying late, in fact people who stay late are inefficent and take nine hours for what I do in eight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Poker - When an opposing player says "I'll put you all-in". This means he is betting more chips than I have in total. If I want to call his bet I have to bet all my chips to call (all-in).

No you are not "putting me all-in". You bet an amount, and it is my decision what I do with my chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

"As a mother..."

"If you had kids yourself you'd understand."

It's almost worse when you're pregnant with a prominent belly. All you hear is "It's all ahead of ya!"
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Death to smart arse colleagues who say "oh half day for you so" as you get up to go home.
    No you clown, I'm leaving on time but unlike you I don't work for free. No overtime means no late evenings.

Yeah I really hate this too. The other that gets my goat is "Nice for some!", if said in a particularly snide way, it just makes you feel like sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Please God, God bless, Ronan Keating, fair play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

As this thread has moved on to single words rather than phrases I'll say how much I hate the word 'overrated'. Why can't people just say they don't like something?

Hardly anyone uses the word correctly. For instance a few months ago there was a thread about overrated musicians. Someone said that Steve Vai is overrated. Actually he's not. I don't like his style, but that's not the point. He's rated as being a virtuoso guitarist, which is exactly what he is. Someone else, or maybe it was the same person, said that Bob Marley is overrated and that all reggae is crap. The fact that this person hates reggae means he can't judge if a reggae musician is overrated or not. If you don't like an art form you can hardly say that a practitioner of said art form is overrated.

Then there are the people that say Two And A Half Men is overrated. No it's not. Most people that watch it know it's not groundbreaking television that's going to change the world or anything. They just find it funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

"The only game in town" used endlessly by maFFia spin doctors in 2009 when talking about the setting up of Nama. Heard it used twice on the radio last week. Wish theyd fluck off with their trite americanisms especially when debating something so serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

"You either love it or you hate it".

No, I'm actually fúcking indifferent to it, OK?
    :mad:

Actually, to add to this. What's worse than saying "You either love it or you hate it" is saying "you either love me or you hate me." My my, what an inflated sense of self-importance you have. Everyone has people that like them, people that hate them and a vast, vast majority who have no particular strong feelings on them either way. You're no different!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

"top of the morning to ya"

never heard anyone say that except brits taking the píss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

"Simples!"

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

"Going forward"

I don't care if it's already been done, it deserves to go in again. Worst. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

My mate said to me in a bar "Beggars cant be choosers", I nearly broke his dicky off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

alot
    MP3 (in regards to the actual player)
    GPS System
    ATM Machine

Advertisement