Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange little bird in the garden

• 16-08-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I just saw the strangest bird in my back garden I've ever seen. I'm not a bird watcher or anything so I've no idea what it is. Maybe it's common enough, hopefully someone here could shed some light on it.

It was like a small fat robin, except it was green. Like proper green, like the irish rugby jersey. It had a deep red breast, not the normal orangey colour you'd see. It had some brown feathers just on its tail.

I went back inside to get the camera but it was gone when I returned. I'll keep an eye out for it again and try and post a pic. But I've never seen anything like it before. Any idea what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

not sure what that could have been.
    could it have been a kingfisher? it has a bluey/green back with a red breast.
    are you near a river?

other than that i cant think what it could be unless it is some exotic bird that escaped or was let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭uggy

Hmmmm, not really a king fisher. It had a small little beak (not as big as a king fisher judging by google images). I do live very close to the sea, less than 100 yards. But this little fella was at a pile of leaves on the ground. I'll keep an eye out again tomorrow and post a pic if I see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

trebor28 wrote: »
    it is some exotic bird that escaped or was let go.
    This is what my money would be on.

uggy, what part of country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭uggy

I'm down in waterford county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

How about a young male crossbill? Just getting his red colours and losing his green ones?
    Do you live near a wooded area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement