Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artic Tern? Roseate Tern?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Again, posted some pics on my blog of Terns I saw in Dunlaoghaire today - I know the Sandwich Tern - but unsure of these - any help much appreciated.
    Is this an Artic Tern? All red bill?

csc_0764.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a Common Tern? Black top at end of Bill.

csc_0767.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a juv Common Tern?

csc_0766.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a Roseate Tern below- all black bill?

csc_0773.jpg?w=500&h=375

Again, many thanks :rolleyes:

For full blog post click here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Again, posted some pics on my blog of Terns I saw in Dunlaoghaire today - I know the Sandwich Tern - but unsure of these - any help much appreciated.
    Is this an Artic Tern? All red bill?

csc_0764.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a Common Tern? Black top at end of Bill.

csc_0767.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a juv Common Tern?

csc_0766.jpg?w=500&h=375

Is this a Roseate Tern below- all black bill?

csc_0773.jpg?w=500&h=375

Again, many thanks :rolleyes:

For full blog post click here

First one looks like artic tern, bill all red. Bird in very bright light so it's bleaching out darker gray of artic. Tail streamers look a bit short for artic though:confused: But overall looks like artic.

Second one common tern

Third juv common tern: dark secondary bar (IMO)best id point to separate from artic, no scaly pattern on upperparts eliminates roseate.

Fourth sandwich tern, too "chunky" for roseate. also sandwich huge when compared to other three artic, roseate, common. Young sandwich has dark tip to bill (this could be one unless camera didn't pick up pale tip).

Separating common/artic is difficult in flight, easier when there on ground (difference in leg length and tail streamer length and in good light grayer colour of artic). Separating Forster's tern from common is another story!!!!,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Just checked your blog, fourth looks like roseate, sorry. Size is the big thing to separate juv Roseate from juv Sandwich. Did the fourth bird look huge compared to the artic/common??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Just checked your blog, fourth looks like roseate, sorry. Size is the big thing to separate juv Roseate from juv Sandwich. Did the fourth bird look huge compared to the artic/common??

Feargal - your knowledge is amazing.
    Thanks for all the i'ds - I'm just 'learning' Terns from obvious things first (like the bill colouring) so I honestly didn't notice the size of the Roseate in comparison to the sandwich terns - more exposure to them will allow more familiarity and soon I'm sure I'll notice the different sizes, greys, whites etc - in fairness, the species are Very similar to a novice.
    Great birds to watch though.
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement