Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep watching or not.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've just started watching after years of being told to. I had the same problem, I'd watch 2 or 3 eps and fall asleep/get bored, this happened a number of times over the last couple of years. I gave it another go on Monday and managed to get to Ep 4 and it broke it for me. It's awesome!

I'm like a pig in shít. It just keeps getting better and better. Just watched ep 2 of season 2 before going to work. Now I'm addicted.

Me and the missus watched it 5 years ago. She struggled for four episodes and then we literally watch the 5 seasons in 5 weeks. I think it's long enough now for a rewatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I re watch the show probably once a year, or once every 18 months anyway.

I appreciate something new about it each time it seems, its in that special category for me along with The West Wing and The Sopranos but possibly trumps both.

My favorite show of all time, without a doubt though the other two come close, one I would recommend highly also, maybe even before watching The Wire for anyone not really watching yet, is The Corner. Great show, almost like a prequel to The Wire too I guess

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Just finished it after 2 or 3 false starts!
    It was worth it.
    I still have no idea what snoop was saying!
    Gotta get me some lake trout tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Snoop is a crackin character, she really does talk like that :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I've just started watching after years of being told to. I had the same problem, I'd watch 2 or 3 eps and fall asleep/get bored, this happened a number of times over the last couple of years. I gave it another go on Monday and managed to get to Ep 4 and it broke it for me. It's awesome!

I'm like a pig in shít. It just keeps getting better and better. Just watched ep 2 of season 2 before going to work. Now I'm addicted.

I'm glad to hear that. Proves that me (and others) aren't out of our minds when we say "stick with it, you have to be patient but it's amazing when you follow the whole thing through". It's so good it's nearly ruined all other TV shows for me. I enjoyed Breaking Bad, but I never expect to see anything as good as the Wire again. I think it's just the scale and depth of the storytelling that did it for me. So many characters over five seasons and nearly all of them held your attention. Everyone has their favourite Seasons, mine is Season 4, a wonderful piece of storytelling from beginning to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Said it before, but no TV show has ever come close to having the same effect on me as The Wire did. Its real life, yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus guys, I just spent/wasted my whole day watching season 2. I'm hopelessly addicted to this. Halfway through ep 10. Big spanner thrown in there. :D

Back on topic. Yes, you "need" to keep watching till it bites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Jesus guys, I just spent/wasted my whole day watching season 2. I'm hopelessly addicted to this. Halfway through ep 10. Big spanner thrown in there. :D

Back on topic. Yes, you "need" to keep watching till it bites!

You'll begin by trying to enjoy it to actually loving it to the stage it'll take over your soul. It's one of the only shows that not only lives up to the hype but, in my opinion, far surpasses it. If you only watch the series once you're missing out...

GerB40 wrote: »
    You'll begin by trying to enjoy it to actually loving it to the stage it'll take over your soul. It's one of the only shows that not only lives up to the hype but, in my opinion, far surpasses it. If you only watch the series once you're missing out...

I hear you. I've just finished season 3. Lots of "Oh Jaysus" moments :eek:.

So far my favourite season has been 2. Its usually one of the lowest rated/loved of the series but I thought it was exceptional and I'm itching to rewatch it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

So far my favourite season has been 2. Its usually one of the lowest rated/loved of the series but I thought it was exceptional and I'm itching to rewatch it already.

Wait till you catch season 4. Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Season 2 is utterly fantastic. Seems to get quite low ratings compared to 1, 3 and 4 but also seems to be a favourite season of a lot of die hard Wire fans.

4 is absolutely fantastic. If there was one show I wish I could re-watch for the first time, its definitely The Wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Last season is a shame, it's basically a rant against the media industry that feels a little tacked on.

1 to 4 are real gems but I feel it wasn't wrapped up particularly well in the last season.

I've just watched the last episode. I'm gutted its all over. I'll give no spoilers but to quote Senator Clay Davis....Sheeeeeiiiiit. :(

Season 5 was better than I expected, the second half of it anyways. Didn't really like season 4 up until the last few episodes. I found the kids irritating except for Dukie. Jesus my heart bled for him.

I'll give it a few weeks before I start over. Looking forward to it already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Last season is a shame, it's basically a rant against the media industry that feels a little tacked on.

1 to 4 are real gems but I feel it wasn't wrapped up particularly well in the last season.

Season 5 always felt rushed, which I always believed was as a result of the writers strike at the time, but apparently The Wire was unaffected by that particular dispute. Maybe it had just run its course, though the actual closing montage just about wrapped it up.

Advertisement