Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

th_IMG_20120606_151343.jpg

Seems ok so far. Will let this run for 40mins or so then check some white pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did it work?

Can't wait to get mine back and test some of the new ROMs on xda. That and ICS official is only a matter of weeks away!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Did it work?

Can't wait to get mine back and test some of the new ROMs on xda. That and ICS official is only a matter of weeks away!

Seems so.

Yours is unlocked? I r jelly.

ED E wrote: »
    Seems so.

Yours is unlocked? I r jelly.

Nice one!

Yeah, it's unlocked alright, but there was fcuk all interesting to put on it before I sent it off, then the custom roms started to appear as soon as it was gone!

Wont be able to get an unlock code for another 5 months or so, fingers crossed they find an exploit long before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I finally got one of these on Vodafone through Carphone Warehouse. Bear in mind my last phone was a Samsung Wave so any droid is going to be a big step up. Liking it so far although I think the yellow fever may have cropped it's head already :( But I'm willing to fix rather then exchange. I'll concede that this sits under the likes of the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy SIII but this seems to be a comfortable place to be.
    One small problem I seem to be having is that I can't get my Vodafone email working. The STMP and POP settings seem to be wrong. Anyone know how to add it?

flazio wrote: »
    I can't get my Vodafone email working. The STMP and POP settings seem to be wrong. Anyone know how to add it?

First off, if you use vodaphone as your primary I'd move everything to gmail, they could at their slightest whim shut it down as o2 did, and thats a major pain in the hole to deal with. It also then runs right off the bat when you set up your phone and syncs perfectly across devices.

As to your mail settings:
    Incoming server:pop.vodafone.ie
    Outgoing server: mail.vodafone.ie
    Email address: yours
    password: the same as you'd use to log onto the website.

There's also this: http://www.vodafone.ie/email-on-your-phone/support/

Incoming server:pop.vodafone.ie

I laughed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

flazio wrote: »
    I finally got one of these on Vodafone through Carphone Warehouse. Bear in mind my last phone was a Samsung Wave so any droid is going to be a big step up. Liking it so far although I think the yellow fever may have cropped it's head already :( But I'm willing to fix rather then exchange. I'll concede that this sits under the likes of the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy SIII but this seems to be a comfortable place to be.
    One small problem I seem to be having is that I can't get my Vodafone email working. The STMP and POP settings seem to be wrong. Anyone know how to add it?

Ye my cousin only got hers over last bank holiday weekend and hers is gone yellow also.
    Abit lame to have such a defect on a new phone. She is getting her money back and getting the HTC One s instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Does Sony not just replace the Xperia S for the yellow tint? That was what was reported that Sony said recently.

I have to send mine in but if I have to wait four or so weeks I dont think I will bother!

• Advertisement

^^^
    Mine was finally fixed yesterday! Emailed fonfix and they said it had been fixed and was waiting to be dispatched back to me. They got my phone on Friday 4th May, so it was 5 weeks waiting.

The only reason that I was waiting so long is that they did not have the parts to fix the handset. This is the fault of Sony's logistics more than anything, as they probably wanted to put most of the new screen into newly manufactured units rather than send to repair centres.

Either way, I still don't actually have it back, but it should be during the week at some stage. If whoever you end up sending your phone to be fixed to, has the parts there to fix it, then it should only take 7 to 10 days in total I reckon.

They only had 2 screens when I was there last week.

Its not a logistics issue I suspect, but a production one, they werent expecting obviously to have to replace so many screens so early, thus the international parts drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi i'm looking for advice on being able to connect my Xperia S to my HDTV,

i've plugged the HDMI cable supplied with the phone into 1 of the 2 HDMI slots on my tv and when i connect it to the phone and select the appropiate HDMI slot it comes up after a few seconds "No video available" on the tv,

i've repeated it also with the 2nd HDMI slot and the same happens,

is it possible the cable is dodgy though its the cable that came supplied with the phone thats not even a week old?

Thanks

Very unlikely.

First off, is your TV FullHD(1080P) or just 720?

In any case, you'll want to access the service menu:
    Phone- Input *#*#7378423#*#* - Service Tests - HDMI Test(at the bottom) - HDMI settings:
    Then set it to 720P @50Hz and 2D, and if that doesnt work try upscaling to 1080, and both refresh rates for both.

Hi ED E, the tv is only 720p, i'll do that test there and reply back,

cheers

Just tried it there at 720p @ 60hz as i dont have the option for 720p @ 50hz and again "no video available

Actually never looked at my options on this FW(.76 TW). I'm 90% my options on .67UK were different and had 50hz options.

screenshot_2012-06-11_1514.png

If you arent running the latest FW it might be worth a shot, you may be able to get .73 via PC Companion or .75UK/.76TW from XDA Developers.

I'm running 6.0.A.3.75 which i got from PC Companion early last week, before that the phone came running the .73FW straight out of the box brand new,

i have the same resolutions as you posted there with no option for 720p@50hz

If you're using a desktop right now and it has a HD panel, try that, or any other one you can get your hands on just to test it works(im sure it does).

Obv you'll want to use it with your TV, for that its worth waiting for ICS to see what options come with it. Its due to drop within the month.

Hi ED E i have a Full HD monitor but it has no HDMI or USB ports to connect the phone to unless i can connect it to my PC motherboards HDMI port :o getting confused at this stage

• Advertisement

Nah, it would require you to have HDMI input on the monitor. Most that have DVI-D in have HDMI too(sometimes it can be well hidden).

Just wait for ICS.

Just posted this on XDA so I might as well mirror it here for boardsies:

Tested a few devices just now:

Connects:
    USB Key - Kingston
    USB Key - PQI
    USB Key - Unknown
    Fuji S2950
    Fuji S100
    Logitech 3d extreme joystick
    Wacom Drawing Tablet
    Novation Nocturn [If somebody wrote a DAW to work with this it would be so awesome]
    Numark Total Control[Same as above]
    Xbox360 Webcam
    Tevion Wireless Keyboard Receiver
    Xbox360 Wifi Receiver Cline
    iPod Touch Gen2 - Actually charges!
    Trust Travel Mouse(wireless)
    Bluetooth dongle
    WLAN Dongle
    10 Port USB Hub, Generic
    HT820 Motorola BT headset (Charges only)
    Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse
    Wingman Cordless Gamepad(Tested with CS1.6, inputs but bad mapping)

Connects but power issue:
    PS3 Controller
    Creative Zen Stone
    Lexar Card Reader(MicroSD)

Does not connect/Incompatible
    Numark DJIO (So soundcards out)
    HT820 Motorola BT headset (Charges only)

Of the three cables I bought, 2 Clones one legit nokia, 1 clone and the original work, the other appears DOA.

ED E, you said you were on the .76TW f/w?

Would you recommend it?

Having a bug with calls that may or may not be related.

I'd say try UK .75 tbh

Thanks, I'll try .75 so.
    Might have to go to .76 anyway as most of the CFW's are based on it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Had an issue like this at first. I launched the youtube app with the phone cable in and it started outputting no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anybody noticing any differences with the .75/.76 firmware?
    Seems a fairly needless update from what i have read

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Anybody noticing any differences with the .75/.76 firmware?
    Seems a fairly needless update from what i have read

Yeah, ICS is the focus. Safe to assume it was just a minor bug fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭batistuta9

marcbrophy wrote: »
    PM sent!

Try this:

Open the phone dialler and type the following:
    *#*#7378423#*#*
    This should bring up the service menu.

In the service menu, click on Service info, the on SIM lock.

You should see a bunch of bunch of [] beside things like Network and Service provider.
    If any of these contain an X like so: [X], then it is sim locked.
    If they are all blank like so: [], then it is not sim locked.

Hope that helps! :)

mines reads like this so it's locked, right?

[x] network 5
    [] network subset 0
    [] service provider 0
    [] corporate 0
    [] SIM 0

but do you know what the rest of it means?

Will do, with a video....eventually. The fact that I dont have root is causing a bit of a hiccup :/ And I cant get it cause of sim+boot -lock :(

i'm new enough to using android phones so looking for some info

I'm with three - as i think you are - & it's says the following in the services menu >> service info >> Configuration. Rooting status: Bootloader unlock allowed: No

what exactly does this mean? are you not able to root the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭batistuta9

when i connected the phone to my laptop & installed Sony PC Companion it says new software is available - 6.0.A.3.75

i currently have .62 on the phone & i'am with 3, but from reading this thread i gathered 3 weren't going to release these (or whatever you call it) & just wait for ICS, so if i install the .75 firmware will the phone stop working or anything like that?

also from here: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-s/ it's says there's the latest android software from sony is available, would that be the .75 firmware as well or ICS & again can i/should i install it?

though on the phone in the update Center it says "your phone already has the latest available system updates"

Advertisement