Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've just finished Season 2 for the first time

• 20-04-2015 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm very late to this party.
    Only started watching about 2 months ago, I nearly gave up during Season 1, didn't really grab me at first & of course the tech makes it dated but I stuck with it & got the pay off eventually.
    One thing I'm really missing is realtime social media commentary for the water cooler moments, I guess you all had that 12 years ago.
    I blasted through Season 2 in a fraction of the time, loved the Greek & Spiros, loved them putting the crew back together, only actor I didn't like was the guy who played Ziggy, he was crap but I could look beyond that.

I decided to google "rate the best seasons of The Wire" I managed to dodge spoilers.
    Looks like I'm in for a big treat as Season 4 was number 1 followed by Season 3 as number 2.
    Oh goody, getting to watch Season 2 in HD was a big treat too.
    I'll enjoy reading this forum once I'm done.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Have a look at http://www.alansepinwall.com/further-reading/ when you've finished.

Alan Sepinwall is a US TV critic who wrote recaps and analyses of loads of TV series - his stuff on The Wire is amazing. My tip is to read the veterans recaps when you've finished the complete series.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Seasons 3 and 4 are indeed the best ones.

The Wire is the best show ever in my opinion, and I already watched the other two that usually are mentioned... Breaking Bad and The Sopranos.

Enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Couldn't get past 3 episodes. Will give it another try now that Justified is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm on my second run through it, I'm using widescreen HD as an excuse to revisit. Season 2 is so much better the second time, I didn't really enjoy it the first watch. The show gets so much better after season 2, the next 2 seasons are absolutely outstanding, enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

I'm on my second run through it, I'm using widescreen HD as an excuse to revisit. Season 2 is so much better the second time, I didn't really enjoy it the first watch. The show gets so much better after season 2, the next 2 seasons are absolutely outstanding, enjoy.

I think it's the introduction of the new characters that's jarring at first, the Sobotka's & the whole docker union.
    The Barksdale story seems to get forgotten once the D'Angelo thing happens.
    Once Lester Freeman starts doing his thing the series grabs momentum & we're back on familiar turf.
    It's a great season that doesn't suffer from 2nd season syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ive watched it numerous times at this stage and Season 2 of probably my favourite now. It was nowhere near on my first watch.

Well last night I watched the final 2 episodes of Season 3, what a finale.
    Kinda knew that either Stringer or Avon were going to betray each other, that last scene on the balcony between them was striking, once Avon inquired about the time of his meeting the following day you knew the hit was in.
    Littlefinger plays a great conniving character in every role he plays.
    Surprised there wasn't more about Rohls in the gay bar but I suppose that's there for the future.
    McNulty character goes full circle, can't see that lasting.
    Season 4 being acquired as we speak.

Episode 3x11, Middle Ground, is by far the best of the series in my opinion.

The first scene, that dialogue between Omar and Mouzone is pure genius. Stinger and Avon at the balcony, the last scene in the empty building... amazing.

The binge continues, last night I finished the final episode of Season 4.
    Now I wouldn't rate that higher than Season 2 or 3.
    Losing both Stringer & Avon leaves big holes to fill & I'm not sure it does that.
    It lacks familiarity at the beginning due to the introduction of the schoolkids & I found the whole school angle a bit slow.
    Chris & Snoop start to become a bit pantomime with the killing as time goes on too.
    Seems they just top everyone on a whim, becomes a bit Tarantinoesque.
    Making McNulty a good guy & then losing him for half the season was a poor move.

2 things that struck me as poor writing.
    (1) Marlon Stanfield, the city's most dangerous drug lord, is able to conduct his affairs in a public place.
    Only once do they avail of lip reader & once they lose the camera that's the end of that.
    (2) Chris & Snoop are hauled in as the major suspects in a 20+ body count from the vacants.
    They even find their gun which surely could be matched to the bodies.
    After they give blood samples they are released back onto the streets to kill Brodie.
    These guys were worse than Bundy & Dhalmer & they get out pending trial, go figure.

Now that's the nitpicking over with, let focus on the good.
    Prop Joe - man just makes the show tick
    Omar - the man is gold, gotta love the swagger
    Carver - grew a heart this season
    Bunny - he really is the man with the plans
    Freeman/Bunk/Keema/Daniels - steady & dependable
    Bubbles - this was his finest season, outstanding acting

Tying Spiros/The Greek to Prop Joe at the end brought the seasons full circle, that was well done.
    The politics at the top of the police force was handled well, Burrel & Rawls make a good double act.
    Knowing that Major Crimes was being reformed & McNultys back on board gives you a real buzz for Season 5 which is being acquired as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

No mention of Senator Clay Davis yet? Sheeeeeeettttt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Watched all seasons and thought they could have made it in 4 seasons, or 3 with some room for extra episode per season.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I love season 2. The setting is ideal and characters fantastic.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I love season 2. The setting is ideal and characters fantastic.

I agree, bearing in mind I haven't seen Season 5 I'd rate them as follows:

(1) S2
    (2) S3
    (3) S4
    (4) S1

For me:

Season 3
    Season 4
    Season 1
    Season 2
    Season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hynes29

I've no clue why everybody hates S1, it was one of the best for me. That's the kind of setting the series is made for, drug dealing in the pits and just giving a general sense of what life is really like there, raw Baltimore. It was perfect for me, maybe a drag at times but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Watched S2 for the second time this month - it really is a lot better the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

TrueDub wrote: »
    Have a look at http://www.alansepinwall.com/further-reading/ when you've finished.

Alan Sepinwall is a US TV critic who wrote recaps and analyses of loads of TV series - his stuff on The Wire is amazing. My tip is to read the veterans recaps when you've finished the complete series.

TrueDub,

Thanks so much for this link! I've only finished watching all 5 seasons today and this has enhanced my viewing pleasure no end. I read Alan Sepinwall's synopsis after each episode and sometimes it explained little things that would have otherwise gone over my head.

I'm gutted I'm finished it now.:(:(:(

Advertisement