Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

sure we will just have to deal with it for now like the common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

thank foook its raining!!!
    ah relief!

hey ! how come my nose is still blocked though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

blocked nose I can deal with,well kinda,1 bostril blocked,the other running away!sore itchy eyes and wheezy is woeful,plus I look like someone has beaten the crap out of me ,either thant or I look like I have been on a session for a week,and sad to say I havent!
    and the sun is shining,another day indoors :(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Its windy and it didnt rain enough! Cant breath through my nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 gpk

Honeygar (Honey + Apple Cider Vinegar) and Opticrom eye drops on a bad day.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

thank god it hasnt been too bad the last 2 weeks. i've found some relief in cetrine allergy until about 5pm then back on the piriton but i also found lorat. they are fantastic, but hard to get in alot of pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Try drinking a probiotic drink every day. I started drinking an Actimel about 2.5yrs ago and my hayfever has almost completely disappeared, after over 20yrs of suffering. All I get now is the odd fit of sneezing and occasional (handful of times over whole summer) itchy throat and I use absolutely no tablets, eyedrops or nasal spray like before. Obviously its not a guarantee and might'nt work for everyone, but as a scientist I genuinely believe it was the reason mine disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

I'll give that a try. What about berocca could I use that instead? Started drinking that about two weeks ago and no hayfever but the count has been low anyway so hard to judge. Didn't really link it to the lack of hayfever but who knows.

Jim

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Try drinking a probiotic drink every day. I started drinking an Actimel about 2.5yrs ago and my hayfever has almost completely disappeared, after over 20yrs of suffering. All I get now is the odd fit of sneezing and occasional (handful of times over whole summer) itchy throat and I use absolutely no tablets, eyedrops or nasal spray like before. Obviously its not a guarantee and might'nt work for everyone, but as a scientist I genuinely believe it was the reason mine disappeared.
    would natural yogurt be better than those gimmick actimel? i read that there full of sugar and artificial cultures unlike natural yogurt. the chinese hearbalist in the blanch centre told me that allergies can sometimes be caused by a low immuine system. is ther any truth in it?

• Advertisement

I think my cat is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I'll give that a try. What about berocca could I use that instead? Started drinking that about two weeks ago and no hayfever but the count has been low anyway so hard to judge. Didn't really link it to the lack of hayfever but who knows.

Jim

I'm sure Berocca will do no harm. The vitamins and minerals will probbaly boost the immune system. I think the thing about drinking probiotic drinks over a sustained period of time allows the beneficial bacteria in them to establish themselves in the gut and have a positive effect.
    noelo wrote: »
    would natural yogurt be better than those gimmick actimel? i read that there full of sugar and artificial cultures unlike natural yogurt. the chinese hearbalist in the blanch centre told me that allergies can sometimes be caused by a low immuine system. is ther any truth in it?

I don't think Actimel are gimmicks. Granted there are many such products on the market that are not of the desired quality nor do they contain the amounts and numbers of the stated bacteria. Fromwhat I've read Actimel and other big brands are generally good under any tests carried out.

The thing about probiotic drinks compared to natural yoghurt is the amount of bacteria in them. Probiotics will contain substantially more and thus more will reach and be able to survivre in the gut and possibly exert a beneficial effect. probiotic drinks may also contain bacteria that have been shown to positive health effects.

Allergies can absolutely be linked to the immune system. Indeed hayfever is one such condition, as well as eczema. the immune system can be over sensitive to foreign particles, such as pollen, coming into contact with the body. So this over reaction causes the production and release of inflammatory compounds that cause swelling and irritation in the nose throat and eyes, etc. Probiotics have been shown to have beneficial effects in reducing the amounts of these inflammatory compounds produced.

Again I must state it is my opinion that probiotics have helped my hayfever. But there have been some good scientific studies showing promising results for the use of probiotics in the treatment of a myriad of conditions. It may not work for everyone but why not give it a try :)

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    I'm sure Berocca will do no harm. The vitamins and minerals will probbaly boost the immune system. I think the thing about drinking probiotic drinks over a sustained period of time allows the beneficial bacteria in them to establish themselves in the gut and have a positive effect.

I don't think Actimel are gimmicks. Granted there are many such products on the market that are not of the desired quality nor do they contain the amounts and numbers of the stated bacteria. Fromwhat I've read Actimel and other big brands are generally good under any tests carried out.

The thing about probiotic drinks compared to natural yoghurt is the amount of bacteria in them. Probiotics will contain substantially more and thus more will reach and be able to survivre in the gut and possibly exert a beneficial effect. probiotic drinks may also contain bacteria that have been shown to positive health effects.

Allergies can absolutely be linked to the immune system. Indeed hayfever is one such condition, as well as eczema. the immune system can be over sensitive to foreign particles, such as pollen, coming into contact with the body. So this over reaction causes the production and release of inflammatory compounds that cause swelling and irritation in the nose throat and eyes, etc. Probiotics have been shown to have beneficial effects in reducing the amounts of these inflammatory compounds produced.

Again I must state it is my opinion that probiotics have helped my hayfever. But there have been some good scientific studies showing promising results for the use of probiotics in the treatment of a myriad of conditions. It may not work for everyone but why not give it a try :)
    cool ill try thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Is it possible to have hay fever this time of year?

Im feeling really hay feverish today- itchy eyes, scratchy throat, blocked nose and difficulty breathing- not sure if its hay fever or not tho!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SL10 wrote: »

Im feeling really hay feverish today- itchy eyes, scratchy throat, blocked nose and difficulty breathing- not sure if its hay fever or not tho!

There is lots of dust in the air- its probably related. I've been sneezing like a maniac all day......

SL10 wrote: »

The answer is yes..... but not really h.f but more a dust allergie. most of us who suffer from h.f suffer house dust allergie, so hoover like f00k ever second day, it works. if you wear gel in your hair wash it out before bed because it flakes on the pillow and you breath it all night and then again the next night,its a vicious circle. also change the pillow case and so on. also in the car open all your windows for an hour with the hot fan turned on. after the summer when the heating has not been used the dust builds up in there with pollen and what ever else. And then off coarse you breath it in. It only takes a very small amount and then your f00ked for the day..... hope i ve help man .... take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Thanks for the info guys! I think Im gonna give my house a big spring clean tomorrow to get rid of all the dust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Are anyone elses allergies acting up like a fecker the past few days? I'm on antihistamines and Avamys nose spray for the past fair while and have had no problems, and just the past few days I have been having such pains in my nose (like the sinus problems I used to have a few years ago) and pains above my eyes (almost in my eyebrows) and into my head :(
    Anyone have any advice or tips?

I know, I know... It's a bit early... But I'm getting a bit anxious now because my hayfever always kick in in April and that ain't too far away... tell me I'm not alone :D

Its more than likely just dust as there is no pollen around at this time of the year. I am the same, mine comes on around april-may when the tree and grass pollen is around, lasts for about six weeks then frizzels out. I get it bad, like the biggest cold that you can imagine multiplied by ten with a cherry on top. Really its areal killer. Was thinking about the JAB because it would be now that I would need to get it but I dont know if they even do it anymore. Some people on a rear occassions have went into anaphylactic shock in the doctors surgury so they lean away from giving it, what do you all think??.

• Advertisement

I get the injection every year and will certainly be getting it this year even though last year it didn't work for that 2-3 week block! Argh. I just dread going through that again! I'm just anxious about what summer is going to be like cause I've not heard any reports...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Urgh every year I forget about this and seeing this thread has just reminded me about it. I find that I have to swap between the different anti-histamines for the summer as if I use one continuously it wears off. The last couple of years I tried eating local honey for months in advance but to no avail. Last year seemed to be particularly bad-I ended up getting very bad pains in my eyes. No, I'm not looking forward to going through this again :(

Urgh every year I forget about this and seeing this thread has just reminded me about it. I find that I have to swap between the different anti-histamines for the summer as if I use one continuously it wears off. The last couple of years I tried eating local honey for months in advance but to no avail. Last year seemed to be particularly bad-I ended up getting very bad pains in my eyes. No, I'm not looking forward to going through this again :(
    Thank god I'm not alone! :D Last year even though I had the injection, I got to a point where I was taking a strip of piriton a day!! :eek: the effects soon wore off and I went onto Lorat (I think that's what they're called) and they worked an absolute godsend so I will be sticking to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Hi all, 'm a newly diagnosed allergy sufferer and am in my 40's and have developed asthma also in the last two years. I take nasacort, singulair and sometimes antihistamines if really necessary. Can I just ask about eye problems please? Mine don't run as such but the lids swell and get very itchy. I live in the country and today my eyes are in a right state as the farmers around here have been spreading slurry etc for the past two weeks. I'm allergic to the HDM, Grass Pollen, Cat and Dog hair and a mould called Cladosporium. I've also developed IBS or something similar which is aggrivated when the allergies are bad. Anyone experience something similar. I'd love to hear of the symptoms allergy sufferers have as I am only learning at the moment.

SlimCi wrote: »
    Hi all, 'm a newly diagnosed allergy sufferer and am in my 40's and have developed asthma also in the last two years. I take nasacort, singulair and sometimes antihistamines if really necessary. Can I just ask about eye problems please? Mine don't run as such but the lids swell and get very itchy. I live in the country and today my eyes are in a right state as the farmers around here have been spreading slurry etc for the past two weeks. I'm allergic to the HDM, Grass Pollen, Cat and Dog hair and a mould called Cladosporium. I've also developed IBS or something similar which is aggrivated when the allergies are bad. Anyone experience something similar. I'd love to hear of the symptoms allergy sufferers have as I am only learning at the moment.
    Nop nothing yet thank god, but wont be long now. I am braising myself for it, its grass and tree pollen that agrivates me. Sound like you have classic heyfever with the eyes and all, the country does not help either. Last year all my local parks decided to leave the grass long and not to cut it so as to introduce a medow for wild flower and ****, which I think was bo11ox because as soon as it was long enough they cut it to dry out and a week later 6 bailers came and bailed it all as hey, then the the trucks came . man I paid for it...........................

Probaby just because they're preparing the fields here for sewing! I'm dreading it.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SlimCi wrote: »

I've Crohn's Disease- and get similar problems with my eyes (its definitely not grass pollen, I'm really not sure what it is). To be honest- even when my eyes aren't swollen (and my eyes swell as well as the eyelids etc)- I have problems even with a mild breeze- or bright light :(

The only relief I get is from steroid shots- alongside ridiculous amounts of neoclarityn (I've found that the otc antihistamines simply don't cut it for me).

Something that I've found helpful- curiously- is actifed (not sudafed). Not sure why. Its effective- but it wears off ridiculously quickly.

I just haven't got the hang of this allergy thing yet...but I know that the eyelids swell on a regular basis even out of hayfever season. I also have a goitre and thyroid has been tested but showed within normal range. Wonder if it is something to do with that! Its definitely auto immune anyway I'd say. God I wish I had a decent doctor...

am I obsessing over this? but I'm convinced Im getting that niggeling hayfever feeling at the back of my nose.. arrgghh it's too early!! anyone else feeling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ChewChew wrote: »
    am I obsessing over this? but I'm convinced Im getting that niggeling hayfever feeling at the back of my nose.. arrgghh it's too early!! anyone else feeling it?

Yep - my eyes are melting :( and i've been taking flixonase since december (for a different prob) so it's definitely in my system for all the good it is!

Advertisement