Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Jim, is kenalog an injection?? the injection I have always received is called depo-medrone. but i've always been getting it for the last few years., even with the rain i suffer pretty badly, but i know that with the summer being so good so far is not helping at all. i do wish for rain though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

ChewChew wrote: »
    Jim, is kenalog an injection?? the injection I have always received is called depo-medrone. but i've always been getting it for the last few years., even with the rain i suffer pretty badly, but i know that with the summer being so good so far is not helping at all. i do wish for rain though!!!

Kenalog is an injection but it is not the same as Depo-medrone. They are from the same class of drugs though afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

living on clarytn,itchy nose, sneezing,wheezing,if i rub my eyes the inside of them come up to my pupils but the refief I get from rubbing them is great!!have to put ice cube on my eyes to bring down the swelling,
    I have tried beconase and different nasal sprays,I dont find any of the piriton or any antihistimines are giving me any relirf this summer,should I get the injection?or do I have to wait ofr the start of the hayfever season,(which started in April):(
    any advise would be great

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Kenalog is an injection but it is not the same as Depo-medrone. They are from the same class of drugs though afaik.
    I thought so much, thanks a mill for clarifying that.
    living on clarytn,itchy nose, sneezing,wheezing,if i rub my eyes the inside of them come up to my pupils but the refief I get from rubbing them is great!!have to put ice cube on my eyes to bring down the swelling,
    I have tried beconase and different nasal sprays,I dont find any of the piriton or any antihistimines are giving me any relirf this summer,should I get the injection?or do I have to wait ofr the start of the hayfever season,(which started in April):(
    well my GP only administers the injection in April (may at the latest) but if you've not had an injection before your GP might recommend a prescription medicine first... i fine that otrivine antistin eye drops are really good!! I am also using new era hayfever tablets and they are available in holland and barrets. they are good too!!

i have had the neoclarytin on perscription,didnt find them any good
    I do find the eyedrops good,but the second I opened the door this morning the sneezing started,tried the nasal sprays,never did any good,is there anything anyone can suggest that I dont have to go to the doctor for first(well it is 50 quid)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

(well it is 50 quid)!

Ours is €55 - went on Monday evening, suggested that I use over the counter nasal spray and for some strange reason since I've gone, hay fever has been fine. Thought I was going to die over the weekend from it! :confused::confused:

Best thing and cheapest is to go to your local chemist and answer them to recommend something. Wished I had done that and saved myself some money!

Ours is €55 - went on Monday evening, suggested that I use over the counter nasal spray and for some strange reason since I've gone, hay fever has been fine. Thought I was going to die over the weekend from it! :confused::confused:

Best thing and cheapest is to go to your local chemist and answer them to recommend something. Wished I had done that and saved myself some money!

i may do that so,
    Im in bits cant even leave the house and the amount of antihistimines Im taking is crazy!
    thanks will let ya know how I get on

I was told to put a wet towel over my face to help with the breathing and also a trip to the beach is also suppose to help. I haven't tried either but might be worth your time.

I presume you have all windows and vents close. Some up further on this thread was one was talking about some air machine they got from Argos I believe. Might be worth your while to look into that.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm really dying with it right now....got the kenelog jab last year and it helped greatly (I could even stay outside for prolonged periods on sunny days - unheard of for me!!), this year though I might as well not have bothered, no help at all. Taking antihistamines as well, useless. Gonna drive to the beach some day this week for some sea air, can't afford to do that everyday though! So bad this morning that I've just gone back to bed. Absolutely sick to death of being inside - cabin fever :mad:

Also, I was in europe last week and my symptoms were greatly reduced, so maybe Ireland has an extra high pollen count. Maybe thats what sufferers need - a holiday!

At this stage I'm wondering are there any home remedies/witches potions that people have come across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

I've had hayfever sice the age of 3 and I think that I've tried just about everything at this stage. I was given the Kenalog injection as a child and again a couple of times as an adult but the last time I got the kenalog injection I suffered with heart palpitations from it.

Staying in away from the pollen helps a bit, I just don't really go out when I don't have to.

Now my morning routine is:

1 Claritan
    4 Sprays of Flixonase
    Opticrom Eydrops

Evening:

1 Piriton
    4 Sprays of Flixonase
    A wet face cloth to rub my sore eyes and cool my face down

Can't wait till this Hayfever season is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

I assumed that I had grown out of hayfever. Reading back on this post and the weather over the past few summers had very low pollen counts. This year I was grand till may. Had take odd clariten here and there. I havent been able to breath through my nose for a good while now. My nose is raw from blowing it today. Lip balm is only thing that will stick to my nose. I got American clariten super strenght. They do bugger all! Whats a good nasel spray I need go out into the world tomorrow. Lucky I,m off work or i,d be off sick.

My eyes are ok.. Till I rub them. Then its like you,ve gone ten rounds with tyson! The only thing that has lessened the effects is heinken! Subdued If anything. Is that injection only available at start of spring/summer? Never got it when I was younger but I will next year if this keeps up. :mad:

PS : If you dont have hayfever and maybe live with somebody who has it. Beware: Dont piss us off. We will kill you! So be nice to us.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Otrivine is the bees knees in the Nasal Spray world!

I may have a nervous breakdown .... everyone in works keep asking if everything is ok cause I look like I've been crying for hours, my nose is duffy, my throat is itchy and my chest is heavy ....

I'm feeling very sorry for myself altogether

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Orlee wrote: »

I may have a nervous breakdown .... everyone in works keep asking if everything is ok cause I look like I've been crying for hours, my nose is duffy, my throat is itchy and my chest is heavy ....

Be careful with Otrivine it is only for short term relief and is not meant to be taken daily, it is mighty stuff and causes the blood vessels in the turbinate to contract shrinking the oversized turbinates allowing air to flow in through the nose again.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

Dudess wrote: »
    NASAL SPRAY!!! One of the best things ever invented! You can get them over the counter or (I think) stronger ones on prescription. Pay attention to the dosage, mind. You can't just use it whenever you start to feel itchy/stuffy/streamy. Use antihistamines in conjunction with it. I, and others, have found that using antihistamines on their own is a waste of time, money and energy. My GP agrees.
    There is also an injection. However, I wanted to get it one year but my mum, who's a nurse, advised against it because of the level of steroids it contains.
    This was before I started using the wondrous NASAL SPRAY!!
    In my experience (and it's not modest, if I may say so), nasal spray + antihistamines = winning combination!
    (Go for a non-drowsy antihistamine - I recommend Zirtek - and, again, don't pop them whenever the feeling takes you. Might seem obvious but it has to be said. Also, you don't want to be relying on them. But you shouldn't have to worry about that anyway because of the magnificent NASAL SPRAY!!)

I love you, Nasal Spray. You save my summers!
    Its seems like every i tryied does not work....... i ve got it bed and because i can do any thing about it ,it really get s me down. Like now! sore throut, itchy throut, ichy ears, runny stuffy head and nose, slow, tired, sluggish. Man its killing me not even the doctors stuff is helping....Help

Me to, ive it bad and nothing i take fixes it ,feel like iam going to die. not even the doctor helps

noelo wrote: »
    Me to, ive it bad and nothing i take fixes it ,feel like iam going to die. not even the doctor helps
    staying in the shower with the shower head on fine mist is the only relief but you/i cant do that all day yanno

Smileylynz wrote: »
    Piriton, , Hope I spelt that right, Excellent Tablets, Cheap too, Get them n any chemist! They dont make me drowsy, but nearly made the girl I work with fall asleep yesterday!!!
    thay make me crazy sleepy.seems nothing is working for me this year not even te doctor.

Don't pay for brand names! Go to your chemist and ask for generic cetirizine dihydrochloride - it's exactly the same stuff. Most effective treatment I've found, for less than a quid a box.
    thanks for that thats a great idea,they must sell generic stuff.i wonder can you get generic everything at the chemist?

I’ve always had really bad hayfever and have been through all the prescription and non-prescription drugs. For me the nasal sprays just exacerbated the situation. Zirtek seems to be the best for me. But what I figured out a few years ago was a link for me with milk and bad hayfever. I stopped taking milk from May to August and my heyfever is at least 50% less. If I were to drink a pint of milk this morning I would be in bits with heyfever this afternoon. A bit of milk in Tea/Coffee doesn’t bother me.
    that funny because i am drinking a lot of milk again because i have a bad tummy problem,and this year there is no cure for my hay fever........ really no cure not even the doc! and its the worst case iv ever had, feel like i am going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mine's extremely mild this year - even went to an outdoor gig last night which is usually dangerous for me in June. One year it was so bad as the result of me attending an outdoor gig that I was running a temperature that night, then had to start taking an antibiotic.

If you're miserable, Xyzal is a strong anti-histamine, but Jesus - not for everyone! :eek:
    My hayfever was bad last year - took one Xyzal - slept for 12 hours, had barely any energy when I got up and was all disorientated and achy, so went back to sleep for another three or four hours. Absolutely flattened by it.
    It wouldn't affect everyone that badly obviously - my dad takes it regularly enough and finds the sleep benefits great.

• Advertisement

Orlee wrote: »

me to!

Dudess wrote: »
    Mine's extremely mild this year - even went to an outdoor gig last night which is usually dangerous for me in June. One year it was so bad as the result of me attending an outdoor gig that I was running a temperature that night, then had to start taking an antibiotic.

If you're miserable, Xyzal is a strong anti-histamine, but Jesus - not for everyone! :eek:
    My hayfever was bad last year - took one Xyzal - slept for 12 hours, had barely any energy when I got up and was all disorientated and achy, so went back to sleep for another three or four hours. Absolutely flattened by it.
    It wouldn't affect everyone that badly obviously - my dad takes it regularly enough and finds the sleep benefits great.
    I have it and it only robs my energy. i still have runny nose , dry eyes, itch throat and it red raw and i am a ball of sweat , hot, and cant breath, what will i do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Nothing is working for me either this year - first year I couldn't get the injection. :mad:

I've also got Xyzal on prescription but, like Dudess, I might as well have taken a sleeping tablet. Couldn't possibly function while on them.

At the moment I'm on:

Neoclarityn
    Topped up with several Piriton
    Nasocort nasal spray
    Opticrom eye drops

I think the eye drops are helping but nothing is working for the sneezing and the general horrible feeling. The itchy throat is driving me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

yep I'm finding this year very bad too. Just using zirtek, a nasal spray and eye drops. I'm sooo tired too. Tried the vaseline around the nostrils - think it helped...

Nothing is working for me either this year - first year I couldn't get the injection. :mad:

I've also got Xyzal on prescription but, like Dudess, I might as well have taken a sleeping tablet. Couldn't possibly function while on them.

At the moment I'm on:

Neoclarityn
    Topped up with several Piriton
    Nasocort nasal spray
    Opticrom eye drops

I think the eye drops are helping but nothing is working for the sneezing and the general horrible feeling. The itchy throat is driving me nuts!
    yes my throat is actually red raw from pucking and scratching it with anything i get in my mouth. i also feel like ****e.i went the park today to play frisbe with the kid's , wrong thing to do i realised. it funny the doc would not give the sticker either,why is that?.anyway i am on xyzel or wat ever the name is, actifeed ,try it,it used to work for me, used to! eye drops piriton........ and i am as high as a kite. i cant take it any more.

Hi,

I think the nasal spray and the tablets are helping. Over the week I felt good except after I used the strimmers Sunday evening. I know if you have hay fever you shouldn't cut grass. Well unfortunately it's just not possible for me not to cut the grass. My eyes and nose are fine but I feel like some one is sitting on my chest. I've tried my wife's inhalers for relief but didn't help much.

I'm wondering if I used a mask when cutting the grass would that help? Has anyone tried this?

Jim

I should think it would help but this type would be more effective http://defender-mtt.com/gas_mask41.jpg seen as it covers the eys's aswell, but i recon it would look a bit crazy with the neighbors. it's funny what use hayfever sufferers will consider, and the lenghts we willl go to get relief , i sleept with a bandana over my mouth and it worked a treat the other night but mad hot and uncomfortable. i get it bad so i consider all methods, seams like nothing helps.

lol - I think the gas mask might be over the top a bit but I do hear you. Hay fever can really kill the summer.

I'm just wondering if a carpentry type mast would work. I already have face protection for the strimmer.

i recon give it a try, why not?. the last few days have been lovely but i was longing for the rain and plus its putting a strain on my relationship because sitting in a roasting hot house with all the windows closed and being grumpy does and will do that. for next year i am going to buy a portable air-con unit, its sucks in the air the air fiters it and cools it , i recon that would do the job! for in the house like.:cool:

• Advertisement

noelo wrote: »
    next year i am going to buy a portable air-con unit, its sucks in the air the air fiters it and cools it , i recon that would do the job! for in the house like.:cool:

I read something similar in an earlier post on this thread and it worked for them so it might be worth giving it a try.

Shame we can't get the kenalog injection but after what the GP told me I wouldn't be happy trying it. Shame they don't bring out a replacement - maybe something you have to get monthly to lessen the impact of all the drugs on your system.

Advertisement