Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism?

• 24-03-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm currently doing a fetac level 5 journalism course. I've got distinctions in all modules and hope to go to either DCU or DIT to study journalism next year..

I'm hoping to weigh up the pros and cons of both and decide which to put first on my CAO.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who could give me some advice regarding DIT Journalism?

I know that in DIT the course is a year longer but what are the facilities/campus like? Is the course enjoyable, would you recommend it? Is the teaching of a high quality or?

Thanks a lot for any information! Really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Tenks

Sup mate? I'm currently in the second year of Journalism in DIT, after I too did a FETAC in Rathmines. To be honest, the course is pretty laid-back, but if you're into media it's very enjoyable. Classes are small, which I feel is great and the facilities are pretty good, if not spectacular.

One thing I will say about the difference between DIT and DCU is the fact that we're in the city centre really does help. From what I've heard DCU Journalism students will rarely leave the campus when it comes to writing stories, doing vox-pops, getting sources, etc, whereas we're expected to get down to it and actually go out there. That's something I love and feel will hold to you in the long-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Tenks wrote: »
    Sup mate? I'm currently in the second year of Journalism in DIT, after I too did a FETAC in Rathmines. To be honest, the course is pretty laid-back, but if you're into media it's very enjoyable. Classes are small, which I feel is great and the facilities are pretty good, if not spectacular.

One thing I will say about the difference between DIT and DCU is the fact that we're in the city centre really does help. From what I've heard DCU Journalism students will rarely leave the campus when it comes to writing stories, doing vox-pops, getting sources, etc, whereas we're expected to get down to it and actually go out there. That's something I love and feel will hold to you in the long-run.

Thanks, I'm just a bus trip away from both so traveling isn't an issue. Of course it would be nice to be in the city centre, but it won't make my mind up totally for me.

I'm in Rathmines too, how did you do in modules? We're currently doing 13 modules and I have 13 distinctions. So I'm hoping to get in to DCU or DIT.

The only thing that worries me is I heard CAO is random selection, so it's kind of out of my hands.

Did you like Rathmines? Was DIT your first choice?

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

Advertisement