Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat D writeoff

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

johnos1984 wrote: »
    John I think the answer is in the long version of the name CAT D "category d insurance write off-uneconomical insurance repair"

Not every claim is a cat d as not every claim results in the car being written off. Where are you selling these cars you buy as I'd like to avoid it.
    wrong cat C is recorded as uneconmical to repair. cat D is cost of repair is less than value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

why would i care. maybe i should ask them if they want more money to.

Why would you care that there is probably a lot more damage to the cars that you are buying than the seller is letting on? Good man yourself... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

wrong cat C is recorded as uneconmical to repair. cat D is cost of repair is less than value of the car.

Are you actually referring to write-offs? Im not sure that you are...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Ebay is full of category D salvage cars.

Here is an example of a 2010 registerd VW Golf Cat D car

A 2008 BMW 3 series CAT D

If you look at even older CAT D cars they seem to have minor damage. like a small dent in bumper.

The older stuff 06 back seems OK, the 08 onwards seems like a fair bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They are all catagories of write off. If the car is not written off its not a cat anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Wrong spoofing as usual. If cat d is cost of repair is less than the value of the car then any repair costs would mean the car is cat d like you tried to say earlier:rolleyes:. Cat d write-off is when the value of repairs is over 60% of the market value of the car. You also probably didnt know that some cars that were stolen and found after a claim is paid out are also classed as cat d and probably the pristine ones that you are buying;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If the car needed a handful of parts after a small crash it may have been written off so the owner could get back on the road quicker. Don't forget that that car has front seat airbags so new seats would be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's totally incorrect to say that any claim results in a Cat ABC or D write-off . Any claim that results in a repair paid for by the Insurance Co. isn't a write off and doesn't come into any category.

A car purchased as a CAT D and repaired isn't the same as this and some of those repaired will have serious damage (the higher value ones mostly) and some of them will no doubt have been bodged together. I wouldn't take the word of any dealer seliing one, I'd want an independant inspection or ,more likely, I'd walk away quick

the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c
    cat D is the lowest recorded damage. if a car has damage that is not at least cat D. then it is unrecorded. thats one issue. second issue can a car with just slight damage be recorded as cat D. yes it can.

corktina wrote: »
    it's totally incorrect to say that any claim results in a Cat ABC or D write-off . Any claim that results in a repair paid for by the Insurance Co. isn't a write off and doesn't come into any category.

A car purchased as a CAT D and repaired isn't the same as this and some of those repaired will have serious damage (the higher value ones mostly) and some of them will no doubt have been bodged together. I wouldn't take the word of any dealer seliing one, I'd want an independant inspection or ,more likely, I'd walk away quick

i imagine very few of them or bodged together. and in my expierence an independent inspection would be nothing more than an expensive nct. ireland is full of cars that have no recorded damage on them and people are happiliy driving away in them. but they may have had extensive repairs. even cars bought of garages. but like most things what they dont know wont sicken them.

• Advertisement

Wrong spoofing as usual. If cat d is cost of repair is less than the value of the car then any repair costs would mean the car is cat d like you tried to say earlier:rolleyes:. Cat d write-off is when the value of repairs is over 60% of the market value of the car. You also probably didnt know that some cars that were stolen and found after a claim is paid out are also classed as cat d and probably the pristine ones that you are buying;)
    maybe on paper. in reality the story is very different. but dont take it from me, take it from somebody who has never bought one in their life

Mylow wrote: »
    Ebay is full of category D salvage cars.

Here is an example of a 2010 registerd VW Golf Cat D car

A 2008 BMW 3 series CAT D

If you look at even older CAT D cars they seem to have minor damage. like a small dent in bumper.

The older stuff 06 back seems OK, the 08 onwards seems like a fair bit of damage.
    anything on ebay is over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Lads thanks very much for all the replys. Didnt want to start any bitching between everyone. Looked at the car and it was very clean and no signs of damage. Car has 41k and hes looking for 9 grand. Going to get an AA inspection before i consider anything else. Also i dont all the hastle when im trying to sell in on again.

Thanks again.

maybe on paper. in reality the story is very different. but dont take it from me, take it from somebody who has never bought one in their life

Any proof to this? Please throw up a link to an ad for a cat d car that is new enough and only has a scrape on the paint just like the ones you buy.

Any proof to this? Please throw up a link to an ad for a cat d car that is new enough and only has a scrape on the paint just like the ones you buy.
    not too many people would agree to that. i had to find them so should you. do tesco tell you where to buy veg for next too nothing

not too many people would agree to that. i had to find them so should you. do tesco tell you where to buy veg for next too nothing

No but i have the internet to look at aldi/lidls offers with a click of a button and the junk mail and newspapers as well. Im not sure why you wont put it up. Sure according to you these cars are very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Or even one you have previously bought? No danger of anyone getting in on your action then.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

anything on ebay is over priced

You missed the point....we weren't disussing prices....we were discussing level of danage....I just provided some examples of CAT D cars to show level of damage.

No but i have the internet to look at aldi/lidls offers with a click of a button and the junk mail and newspapers as well. Im not sure why you wont put it up. Sure according to you these cars are very common.
    the internet would be a good start.

Mylow wrote: »
    You missed the point....we weren't disussing prices....we were discussing level of danage....I just provided some examples of CAT D cars to show level of damage.
    i was just making the point if naybody was interested in buying a damaged car ebay isnt the best place to look

• Advertisement
Advertisement