Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Orlee wrote: »
    got myself the Seche Vite quick dry top coat - been lusting after it forever but now that I have it I'm a little scared! It works really well but on the side it says

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm"

That can't be good!

oh no seriously? sh*t mine says nothing like that but when you google it it's explained. I must check the leaflet mine came with. cant really be taking birth defect chances even though other forums say don't over react they'r trace amounts, you would need to overdose stil.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Essie - Watermelon

6208984997_acea275001_m.jpg

Cuticles are in bits, sorry :o

got myself the Seche Vite quick dry top coat - been lusting after it forever but now that I have it I'm a little scared! It works really well but on the side it says

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm"

That can't be good!
    oh no seriously? sh*t mine says nothing like that but when you google it it's explained. I must check the leaflet mine came with. cant really be taking birth defect chances even though other forums say don't over react they'r trace amounts, you would need to overdose stil.......

That's very worrying.

I'm trying to move away from products that contain known carcinogens, formaldehyde etc. I don't have this top coat but don't think I will get it at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

I haven't tried it but Inglot have a quick dry topcoat and all their polishes are nasty stuff free (formaldehyde and a couple of other things). Elf polishes are also nasty free and only £1.80 but they don't have a quick dry topcoat. I love the idea of seche vite too but that warning about birth defects is a little scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Hi ladies,
    Thought this would be the place to ask! I'm looking for advice on what nail colour to wear with this dress! I'm wearing black shoes with it, I was thinking of a pale pink but might be too boring??

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2646547&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=Closet&pageSize=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

SarahJ wrote: »
    Hi ladies,
    Thought this would be the place to ask! I'm looking for advice on what nail colour to wear with this dress! I'm wearing black shoes with it, I was thinking of a pale pink but might be too boring??

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2646547&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=Closet&pageSize=20

I think something contrasting like teal would be lovely

OPI - Ski Teal We Drop
    ski+teal3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Girlies, €1.29 dupe for Deborah Lippmann's 'Across the Universe' - Essence Colour & Go 'Blue Addicted' (apologies for size of pic!):

Just picked this up. Does it need a few coats? Mine doesn't look as good as yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Just picked this up. Does it need a few coats? Mine doesn't look as good as yours.
    I'd say you'd probably need about 3 coats for it. It's nice; I like the big pieces of glitter! I've only swatched it one nail so far so the 3 coats is only an assumption :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Had to take the nail polish off today as it chipped on a few nails.

Am starting to think it's my nails that's causing the chipping and not the nail polishes themselves tbh.

Any nail polish I've had on me lately has chipped within hours/a day of being applied.

Can anyone recommend any products to make my nails stronger please? Those new OPI products aren't an option, I refuse to pay €20+ for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

That can't be good!

Was worried when I saw this because I just ordered this so I searched on google and found this thread on a forum in the US

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/44544-warning-label-seche-vite-topcoat.html

• Advertisement

Am starting to think it's my nails that's causing the chipping and not the nail polishes themselves tbh.

Any nail polish I've had on me lately has chipped within hours/a day of being applied.

Can anyone recommend any products to make my nails stronger please? Those new OPI products aren't an option, I refuse to pay €20+ for them.

The sally hansen stuff in a pearly purple bottle is great for strenghtening the nails. Folic acid is doing the job for me but I'd love to try biotin supplements!

It could be that the natural oils are coming back into your nails and causing the polish to lift/chip. Try getting a primer to fully dehydrate the nails before applying your base coat. I've been using an EZ Flow primer for the past few weeks and am getting over a week out of normal polishes before they start to chip.

The sally hansen stuff in a pearly purple bottle is great for strenghtening the nails. Folic acid is doing the job for me but I'd love to try biotin supplements!
    Do you mean this stuff?

41bguGguZIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    It could be that the natural oils are coming back into your nails and causing the polish to lift/chip. Try getting a primer to fully dehydrate the nails before applying your base coat. I've been using an EZ Flow primer for the past few weeks and am getting over a week out of normal polishes before they start to chip.
    I never thought of that, I'll have a look for that ez flow primer, thanks for suggesting it!
    :)

This is the one( sorry can't work out how to post just pic)

http://sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-care/miracle-nail-thickener

I use this too as a top coat sometimes

http://sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-care/triple-strong

That primer idea is a great one!!!

Thank you for that, will look for them now, hopefully can get them for a reasonable price, that purple bottle is around €15 in Boots (I think it's that one).

I never thought of that, I'll have a look for that ez flow primer, thanks for suggesting it!
    :)

You're welcome! :)

I don't know how much mine was because I got it in a kit when I did a nail course.

Just be warned it has acid in it so don't get it on your cuticles, it will sting! Also the tiniest drop on the brush will do all the nails on one hand so use it sparingly and it will last ages too!

Sugarbomb wrote: »
    Was worried when I saw this because I just ordered this so I searched on google and found this thread on a forum in the US

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/44544-warning-label-seche-vite-topcoat.html

The term 3free makes much more sense now - see it on all the blogs

It's out with the seche vite so - just wouldn't feel right! If anyone wants my bottle I'll post it for free :) Only used twice!

Thank you for that, will look for them now, hopefully can get them for a reasonable price, that purple bottle is around €15 in Boots (I think it's that one).

I got mine in tesco both are about 8or9 euro me thinks. And with the primer my nail set says if you apply too much and find it hurts your nails just gently tap them on a hard surface and the pain will shift in a few seconds but tis easy to not put loads on coz its like water not gloopy like polish.

Good post here about what brands are free from what chemicals.

From www.alllacqueredup.com
    Celebrate Earth Day – Check Your Ingredients
    Posted on April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day kids!

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not the “greenest” person when it comes to my daily life. I do drive a gas guzzling SUV so I can get through rough Cleveland winters, I’m not great at turning out lights when I leave a room and I do use paper towels religiously. But what I love about Earth Day is that it’s a way to check yourself. A reminder to look at your lifestyle and find ways to improve it that helps the planet.

Last year I made a commitment to waste less paper. I was terrible about writing stupid notes on full sheets of paper only to toss them later. So I dedicated myself to utilize my PDA and laptop for all my random scribblings. It’s not huge but it’s a good step. This year I want to focus more on recycling. We have a great recycling program in my neighborhood and I’m going to be more tenacious in my efforts. I would also like to break my paper towel habit.

So what will you do? What small change will you make for a greener globe? If you’re thinking of greening up your manicure routine by switching to less toxic polish, look no further for I have your ultimate shopping guide. You may remember last year that I published a pretty comprehensive list of polishes based on ingredients, well I’ve updated and made it even more thorough. Check it out!

For quick refresher on the ingredients we’re talking about, check out, The Big 3 (toxic chemical that is).

Formaldehyde and DBP Free polishes – Carolyn New York, CND (Creative Nail Design) and NYX

Big 3 Free polishes – butter London, Calvin Klein, China Glaze (black label), Color Club, Essie, Finger Paints, Hard Candy, Illamasqua, Maybelline Express Finish, Maybelline Salon Expert, Nicole, OPI (green label) and Sally Hansen Salon

Big 3 Free, No Formaldehyde Resin – MAC, Milani, N.Y.C. Long Wearing, Nailtini (except Vodka), NARS, Nocti, Orly, PeaceKeeper, Pop Beauty Nail Glam, Rescue Beauty Lounge, SpaRitual and Wet n’ Wild

Big 3 Free, No Formaldehyde Resin, No Camphor – Chanel, Dashing Diva, Dior, Estee Lauder, Givenchy, Lancome, Lippmann, L’oreal, No-Miss, Nubar, NYC In A New York Color Minute, Revlon, Rimmel London 60 Seconds, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, Sante, Shades by Barielle, Shu Uemura, Sinful Colors and Zoya

Water based, Big 3 Free, No Formaldehyde Resin, No Camphor, No Ethyl Acetate – Acquarella, Honeybee Gardens, Sula and Suncoat
    Note: Some brands have changed their formulas over the past few years so bottles of their old formulas may still be on shelves. Please check labels before purchasing.

Some additional ways you can green up your manicure include switching to a reusable glass nail file like the ones mentioned in Let’s Talk Files, using natural nail polish removers and replacing your orange sticks with a metal cuticle pusher.

What are you doing today to green up your lifestyle?

If anyone knows of any other bad chemical free brands be sure to share!

A Can anyone recommend any products for skin around the nails (hands) that's dry and broken please? I use hand cream every day, I apply it every time I was my hands, at the moment I am using the Lacura nourishing hand cream.

• Advertisement

Got both these in health food store. I can only use this hand cream(big one) as I've tried everything and tis i amazing. the small one is the cuticle care and it's fab. Both are hard to touch (like coconut oil is) but when you rub it in they turn to oil/liquid.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/176855.JPG

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/176856.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

The term 3free makes much more sense now - see it on all the blogs

It's out with the seche vite so - just wouldn't feel right! If anyone wants my bottle I'll post it for free :) Only used twice!

Of the offer still stands I'd love to try this! I'm feeling brave! :p

Will paypal you for it though :)

Moyglish wrote: »
    Of the offer still stands I'd love to try this! I'm feeling brave! :p

Will paypal you for it though :)

Hey Moyglish - I'm gonna go with first come first served and I got a PM before you posted.

Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Good post here about what brands are free from what chemicals.

From www.alllacqueredup.com

If anyone knows of any other bad chemical free brands be sure to share!
    One brand that I know for definite is not 3/4 Free is Model's Own. You can get an idea from smelling polishes (I know that sounds weird :o) - if they have a similar smell to Seche Vite etc, then they probably use similar chemicals. It's only a very rough way to guess, but I've found it works for me :P Although I do own a few non-3/4 Free polish actually, but that's because I didn't know at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Girlies, €1.29 dupe for Deborah Lippmann's 'Across the Universe' - Essence Colour & Go 'Blue Addicted' (apologies for size of pic!):

I'm wearing this today - two coats over one coat of Essence Rock Rebel. <3<3<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Heya, you'd probably need 3 or 4 coats to build up a proper colour, but I used a navy as a base coat ands just did two coats of the essence on top of it. I know it's not meant to be a top coat but I honestly hadn't the patience to wait for 3 or 4 coats to dry!

Scary stuff about the Seche Vite, I haven't used it in a long time, not since I got the Sally Hansen. Essence Colour & Go polish is 4-free, they have a .pdf of all their ingredients on their site. Can't find any info about Catrice, have asked them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

rain on wrote: »
    I'm wearing this today - two coats over one coat of Essence Rock Rebel. <3<3<3

And here's a pictiúr :)

3012DE2F520A4ADD86007FE51790F6AC-0000346855-0002575722-00640L-A3628AC615B7443FA3639F34447A5183.jpg

Anyone know where to get both of these for a cheap-ish price please?

The purple bottle in Boots is around €14 :eek:

I've found them online but they working out expensive (or maybe I am too used to cheap/inexpensive things :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Did you try tesco? they are8-9 euro there I certainly didnt spend 15 or anything like that!

• Advertisement

Sorry the above post about trying tesco is me!!! My husbands account was signed in lol

Advertisement