Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lorna Byrne - False Prophet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Based solely on her website I would say stay well clear.

Only one reference to christian and one reference to Jesus on the entire site. The focus seems to be all "Me! Me!"

She also states our life purpose as "The most important life purpose all of us have is to live each moment of our life to the full" - Doesnt really equate to my understanding of Life's purpose - to love the Lord God

No, definitely not a Christian message

While I wouldnt go so far as to call the woman a witch, anyone who diverts people from the path of righteousness is not exactly a saint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

underbadger your bible says 'suffer not a witch to live'

and also 'thou shallt not kill'

however as the new testament overides the older ones go ahead and assassinate her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PierreN14

hello,

Im 31 yrs old and have been living in a Benedictine monastery in north london since September 2006.

I first met Lorna Byrne in March 2006. I met her twice in that month and havent met her since.

I was talking to my friend in Cork regarding some big decisions I needed to make. She suggested going to meet her friend, Lorna. Needless to say I was sceptical. I went anyway.

Upon arrival at her house, I met a small, warm and sincere person. We sat down and I told her of my sense of being called to the church but not knowing where to go from there. To cut a long story short, she gave me a great big hand in finding my calling. Everything she said has come true. Okay, maybe shes just psychic! But she has directed me to the church, talked so much of Jesus's love for me and encouraged me that the church is good and strong.

though i did give her a little, she never asked for money. I sat with her for hours. I am a very sceptical person but she is the genuine article.

When she talks of us becoming the full person we are meant to be, she means a holy person, in union with the Trinity through Christ, Wholly alive.

My words are accountable to God, whom I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I like it! You say that the bible is the most heavily edited book ever - quite a claim - but provide no evidence to back it up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=475017379969914449 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Underbadger

PierreN14 wrote: »
    hello,

Im 31 yrs old and have been living in a Benedictine monastery in north london since September 2006.

I first met Lorna Byrne in March 2006. I met her twice in that month and havent met her since.

I was talking to my friend in Cork regarding some big decisions I needed to make. She suggested going to meet her friend, Lorna. Needless to say I was sceptical. I went anyway.

Upon arrival at her house, I met a small, warm and sincere person. We sat down and I told her of my sense of being called to the church but not knowing where to go from there. To cut a long story short, she gave me a great big hand in finding my calling. Everything she said has come true. Okay, maybe shes just psychic! But she has directed me to the church, talked so much of Jesus's love for me and encouraged me that the church is good and strong.

though i did give her a little, she never asked for money. I sat with her for hours. I am a very sceptical person but she is the genuine article.

When she talks of us becoming the full person we are meant to be, she means a holy person, in union with the Trinity through Christ, Wholly alive.

2 Kings

17:16 And they left all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made them molten images, even two calves, and made a grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served Baal.

17:17 And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

while you may have been a member of a Benedictine order, catholic heretics have long perverted the word of god in concert with the spirits of anti Christ Paul told us would infect the church in thessalonians.

READ THE BIBLE!

1 Corinthians 10

20. But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

Paul is telling us straight that other religions are of the devil and worship demons.

Discard all of the false lies the witch Lorna Byrne (knowing or unknowing) has fed you , embrace Christ through his word on this earth ( the bible) not some happy go lucky, quick fix, satanic, its aright, lie.

all the truths you don't want to face, but should, are in the bible.

pray to god, ask his forgiveness and your eyes shall be open!!!

• Advertisement

catholic heretics have long perverted the word of god in concert with the spirits of anti Christ

Aren't Catholics the very people who were in charge of compiling the NT?...Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Underbadger

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Aren't Catholics the very people who were in charge of compiling the NT?...Hmmmm...

no the holy spirit complied the new testament, the catholic church tried to suppress gods word and keep it from from the masses by keeping it only in latin and making it 'illegal' to own a bible.

no the holy spirit complied the new testament, the catholic church tried to suppress gods word and keep it from from the masses by keeping it only in latin and making it 'illegal' to own a bible.

But the NT wasn't compiled until the Catholic Church was in full swing in the late 300's? How is it you think these people were full of the Holy Spirit in one instance and yet so clearly not full of the Holy Spirit in another? Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

hello,

That's interesting Pierre, thanks for sharing. She talked to you about Jesus but I remember when she appeared on the Late Late Show, she never mentioned His name. Neither does her website.

The quote below is taken from her website:

"The earth is a living thing and controversial as this may sound, our planet has its own spirit, its own soul."

Where did she get that from!? I could be wrong and I hope I am, but it looks to me like she's speading a false gospel. Any message coming from God would emphasise Jesus and not angels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meathwhiskey

ukonline wrote: »
    She did say at the beginning of her interview, did she not, that she was diagnosed as 'retarded' as a child.

QED...
    People, in a search for lorna byrne to make contact i came across this tread/forum and i have to say i am disappointed. alot of people are saying mean stuff. have these people read the book????? i personally have grown up around spiritual people (not as connected as Lorna) and trust me they do exist. i was so sceptical when i first met these people but as time went on i opened my mind.

just read the book and make up your own INFORMED mind. then move on! in the book she talks alot about God and the Angels being messengers of his/her word. Lorna also says in the book that no matter what God accepts true forgiveness. that he/she wants people to live a happy joyous life that does not harm people.

Lorna also does not quote Jesus because Jesus belongs to Cathloics etc.... Lorna speaks about all religions looking towards the same god.

Anyhow. i did not mean to go but, some of you people are claiming that she is a false prophet or following a fallen angel. do not judge unless you are absolutely sure you are GOD him/herself.

okay, i'm done. :)

• Advertisement

hello,

Pierrre, i am glad to see someone with an open mind. i have a few questions that i need to ask so that i can help my family. could you pass on a way to contact Lorna?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

acts chapter 16 adds new testament reinforcement to what should be common sense to any Christian... don't engage with or pray to anything but the lord God, Jesus Christ and the holy spirit! That includes catholic false Idols such as Mary (who was a sinner) or some saint or statue.

Last time I heard something like that it was connected to mindless vandalism and destruction of statues (ballinspittle etc). I think you have more in common with the Taliban than most Christians tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Lorna also does not quote Jesus because Jesus belongs to Cathloics etc....
    While some Catholics belong to Jesus, I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't belong to Catholics.
    Lorna speaks about all religions looking towards the same god.
    And since different religions teach totally contradictory things about God, that in itself is reason enough for me to reject Lorna's teachings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Lorna also does not quote Jesus because Jesus belongs to Cathloics etc.... Lorna speaks about all religions looking towards the same god.

Jesus came for the whole world, not just for "Catholics"

There is only one God, but there are many gods. There is only one way to the father, through Jesus Christ. Anyone who talks like Lorna Byrne has got to be very suspect, and is not following Biblical teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What makes me most suspect is that Lorna is doing what she does IMO more for the financial rewards/book deals etc, and less for the betterment of her fellow humans.

Her basic message to me is rather harmless enough, however unorthodox it is, I have always had a lot of time for the role of guardian angels and angels in general, but I don't like the idea out of making a money-spinner preying on people's emotions, through visions, communication with other worldly beings, or prophecy.

It because of the very fact that Lorna doesn't mention Jesus, that I'm highly suspicious of her. Angels are of course important because they help and defend us but angels can't save our souls. Only Jesus can do that so I find it very strange that Lorna doesn't point us towards Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

Scripture says that a the devil can appear as an angel of light and also talks about wolves in sheep's clothing. I'm not saying that Lorna is evil but I think she is most probably being misled and doing the same to others. The spiritual life is a minefield and we need to be able to recognize the signs of false prophets.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

As far as I can tell from scriptures, angels, when they interact with us, are ONLY MESSENGERS from God (it's what the word means). As such they always point towards God or give messages from God but I get the impression from Lorna Byrne and other angel followers that God is an afterthought.
    Any "angel" acting autonomously or communicating their own messages is suspicious to me, regardless of what they are saying and how 'good' their message feels.

As to whether people like Lorna Byne are making stuff up, hallucinating or genuinely communicating with spirits - I don't know but my feeling is that if they are genuine spirits then they're not from God because they distract people from God. Possibly she does have a gift to see angels and demons (or whatever you call them) are manipulating this gift.

I know that Catholics pray to saints and angels but my understanding is that they are (or should be theologically) praying to the saints/angels only to act as intermediary to God not as powers in their own right.

Seoid wrote: »
    I know that Catholics pray to saints and angels but my understanding is that they are (or should be theologically) praying to the saints/angels only to act as intermediary to God not as powers in their own right.
    Yes, absolutely. All power and good is from God. We ask Mary, the saints and angels to intercede for us. We believe that God never refuses the petitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary but she would never ask for something contrary to God's will.

yes this is true about jesus, he is for everyone. and everyone is entitled to their opinion - no problem. but is there harm in a person giving people some hope in terrible circumstances? it is not as if she is bating her ideas into everyone. she does not do what other mediums/psychics do or say e.g. your are going to come into alot of money or you're going to have a baby by next year! know what i mean?

anyhow, all the best people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kelly1 wrote: »
    The spiritual life is a minefield and we need to be able to recognize the signs of false prophets.
    How would you go about doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Have just finished reading Angels in my Hair. I was disappointed because I was really hoping to be blown away by it. I'm a great believer in guardian angels, psychics, and communication with those who have passed on, but I was left feeling a bit sceptical about Lorna. I'm not religious and cant quote the Bible, so this feeling is not based on whether what she says does or does not correspond with the Bible. I think what made me sceptical was how she could remember these countless encounters from childhood, what the Angels were wearing etc. At times i had to remind myself that this was not a non -fiction book I was reading. It just seemed a bit fantastical. Also, the angels names, i mean Traffikiss??? I actually found myself thinking if she really believes in all she is saying, maybe she has a mental problem of some kind. Did anyone else feel the same, or can anyone persuade me otherwise??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rosiemoore

hello,

Thanks Pierre, I have bought her book & seen all the interviews with her (on Youtube). She seems a very Godly person to me! I too noticed the lack of the name Jesus, and no talk of sin, salvation, Second Coming etc. BUT I believe that God has deliberately chosen to "keep it simple" so that EVERYONE will listen - Jews, Muslims, etc - not just Christians. If they can all believe that she experiences angels and souls, then they will be much more willing to listen to God. If God then wants them to learn more about Him, (either through Lorna or not), He will then teach them about Christ. A "Christian" would often be too quick to judge people and warn them of sin & its consequences, but God Himself knows how confused this world is now, with whole generations misunderstanding Him - therefore, in His love for mankind, He is still "Laying Aside His Majesty" so that ALL can have the chance to believe before He comes again........... Amen x ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

i have just finished her book...she seems like the real deal to me! very uplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

It surprises me how many people have suddenly realised they can speak to the angels. Lorna Byrne, Francesca Brown and Margaret Brazil being the three most notable. My bookshop sells dozens of their books daily.

I would have thought that somebody in tune with the etheral would be less interested in monetary gain in this life and more concerned with passing on the messages from beyond.

I believe in God. I do not believe any of these authors can communicate with him or his angels. If I had spoken wit an angel I would not spend hours sitting in a bookshop on weekends signing the inside of books and wishing people the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 StellaMaria

It's what she's not saying that concerns me. No mention of sin and the need for redemption and forgiveness. No mention of Jesus. If these angels were true angels, they would be urging us all to turn back to God, not the angels!
    "The earth is a living thing and controversial as this may sound, our planet has its own spirit, its own soul."

That right! In her book there is nothing spiritual. Bible and christian churches tell us about angels - not a big deal. God says in the Bible that "Ask me and I will help you". He will help us with or without His angels! We must turn to God, not to angels.

One of her videos Lorna B. says that after death we humans are not becoming angels. Contrary to this in her book she writes that Old Testament's prophets Elijah and Elisa are now angels in heaven. Uh! In her book she writes that aborted children in heaven love their parents and they wanted to be part of that family, although they knew they will be aborted. (As if there are souls in heaven waiting for human birth.)

It's ok, if those aborted children love their parents. But what Lorna B. implies is that the abortion is not so serious. It doesn't matter. She doesn't say that the abortion is a grave sin or that people shouldn't do it. Padre Pio didn't absolve a woman who did not "remember" that she had had an abortion. As I said there is nothing spiritual teaching in the book, no mention about Jesus, no catholic teaching. For me the book is simply a New Age stuff. Nothing more. Empty book.

I think Lorna Byrne is going to publish books that will be anticatholic. False teaching which aim to ignore the teaching of catholic church and other christian churches. Let's pray for Lorna B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 StellaMaria

rosiemoore wrote: »
    I believe that God has deliberately chosen to "keep it simple" so that EVERYONE will listen - Jews, Muslims, etc - not just Christians. If they can all believe that she experiences angels and souls, then they will be much more willing to listen to God. If God then wants them to learn more about Him, (either through Lorna or not), He will then teach them about Christ.

That's what I also first thought that God will prepare people to accept the REAL message. I have changed my mind. The apostles preached about Jesus & that is enough even today! He is our Life and everything! Of course there is angels... good and bad tells the Bible. Let's love Jesus and we will be in safe.

ScumLord wrote: »
    How would you go about doing that?

Basically anything which contradicts the teachings of the Catholic Church is false. Call me arrogant, but that's what I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Basically anything which contradicts the teachings of the Catholic Church is false. Call me arrogant, but that's what I believe.

What makes you believe that the Catholic Church is never wrong about anything? What makes them infalible?

If you say that the keys of the kingdom were given to Peter by Jesus and that Peter was the first Pope and hence only through the Catholic Church can anybody be saved, then how do you know that Jesus did this? You know it from scripture, meaning that even if your interpretation of what Jesus said to Peter was correct, and that is open to much debate, but let us assume for argument sake that your interpretation is correct, then that means that the Catholic Church's authority is grounded in scripture, which means that the scripture is the real authority. Make sense?

What makes you believe that the Catholic Church is never wrong about anything?
    It's important to understand that the Church isn't infallible about everything but only when it declares a teaching dogmatic i.e "ex cathedra".
    What makes them infalible?
    The Holy Spirit.
    If you say that the keys of the kingdom were given to Peter by Jesus and that Peter was the first Pope and hence only through the Catholic Church can anybody be saved, then how do you know that Jesus did this? You know it from scripture, meaning that even if your interpretation of what Jesus said to Peter was correct, and that is open to much debate, but let us assume for argument sake that your interpretation is correct, then that means that the Catholic Church's authority is grounded in scripture, which means that the scripture is the real authority. Make sense?
    If it's true that Jesus gave the keys to Peter, it means authority lies with him and his successors, not a book. The Church produced the NT, not the other way round.

He're an article about infallibility well worth reading:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

It's important to understand that the Church isn't infallible about everything but only when it declares a teaching dogmatic i.e "ex cathedra".

Yeah but from whence comes this infallibility? What if I stood up in a room and announce to all in sundry that the next sentence out of my mouth was incontestable truth and anyone who even tries to challenge it is with out question a heretic?
    The Holy Spirit.

If it's the Holy Spirit that makes what they say infallible then that means that the scripture must also be infallible. Because according to scripture itself every word of it is God breathed.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16

I actually believe that the Pope can speak infallibly, as long as he does not contradict the foundation of scripture already laid down by God through his mouthpieces the prophets, Jesus and the apostles. But that also goes for anyone who speaks under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit not just the Pope.

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."2 Timothy 2:15
    If it's true that Jesus gave the keys to Peter, it means authority lies with him and his successors, not a book. The Church produced the NT, not the other way round.

Well no actually it is the other way around. Jesus said to Peter: "I will build MY church ('Eclesia' - out-called-ones) and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

It is ALL His work. It wasn't the Church that produced the New Testament, it was God's spirit working through certain individuals within the Church that produced it. The words that are written therein were God breathed and written for the express purpose of our instruction. They are as valid today as they ever were. We don't need a council of men tellings that what they say 'ex cathedra' is God's Word. We already have God's Word. We only need people to rightly divide the already laid down Word of God and stick to that and no departing from it - Ever!!!

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Hebrews 13:8

The reason there was a reformation was because for over 1500 years the Church departed from the Word of God and needed to be put back on track. It is forever falling off the track and God is always raising up men to refocus it back onto the Word, not traditions which even Jesus said make void the the Word of God when they are put before it.

"...Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition." Matthew 15:6

Even John recognizes that the Word is the final authority.

"But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:" 1 John 2:5

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God." Revelation 19:11-13

God's Word is supreme. Always was and always will be.

"For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Psalm 119:89

Advertisement