Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eswords

Very well done Mike, great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Poor week, less than half the planned sessions done. On the upside the sessions done were reasonably good quality and the weight is moving south again after going awol.

Weekly Summary
    Swimming 0.3hrs - 1km :(
    Biking 4 hours - 141km all turbo
    Running 3.3 hours - 45km
    Core 0.4 hours
    Total 8 hours

Friday: SS Interval Running
    I missed the club session so jogged up to the scene of the crime for my penance. 3*10 minutes at sweetspot effort with 3 minutes rest.
    10 mins at 3:45 pace, 2.66km
    10 mins at 3:38 pace, 2.75km
    10 mins at 3:39 pace, 2.73km
    The effort was good on the first rep but I lost the plot n the second and ran at threshold rather than sweetspot. I wasn't watching the clock, just running to RPE. I felt good for the first 5 minutes but it then descended into a bit of a slog. The 3rd rep was again too fast to begin with and I decided to just punish myself byholding the effort to the end. I was out on my feet with 2 minutes to go and doubled over panting like an animal under the hot sun by the end.
    Overall 15.41km at 4:08 pace

Saturday: Long turbo with HIM efforts
    My first poper long turbo since IM training last year. 3 hours including some HIM paced intervals with 10 minutes easy recovery.
    1 hour at 75% FTP
    20 mins at 80% FTP
    10 mins easy
    20 mins at 85% FTP
    10 mins easy
    20 mins at 85-90% FTP
    30 minutes easy
    The first 2 reps were good. Solid. The 3rd rep took some real effort. survived on 2 bottles of water and a powerbar, banana flavour, which is lovely. I watched the Mens Elite ITU race at Sydney to get me through most of it. Frustratingly the flash player was messing and the programme kept pausing. It was a crap day to be on the turbo with the sun shining outside, but thats just life. I was still wrecked after the 30 minute cool down. At least it was a quality session that flattened me.

Sunday: Long Aerobic Run.
    This was a simple long run at RPE6 keeping the efort under reins at all times. It was a long day of family stuff so I was rather weary geting out in the evening. Within 20 minutes I wanted to quit. I felt lifeless and heavy. However the watch was beeping at 4:30 pace so the pace wasn't reflective of the poor motivation and clumsy effort. I passed my house after 11km of the GLR Half Marathon orute and really really had to resist the urge to call it a day. I stopped just to take on some water as I was parched. I continued on to complete the route in 1:33 and the jog home happy to just get through it.
    Overall 25.68km at 4:25 pace

Squad Swim
    Given that I have a triathlon this weekend I thought it best to get back to the pool and do some swimming. Swimminhg had been going well up to the end of Feb but the last 5-6 weeks has been rubbish. My easy pace has fallen to near 2:00/100m and my IM split last year feels like it wasn't me swimming that, surely. I know, however that its not lost. Its a case of getting back in the water 3 times a week and suffering for a while until fitness returns. Thus back to the goup morning set.
    800m easy warm up -everyone doing drills but I just swam
    4*(200/150/100/50)
    8*50 easy breathing every 4
    200 various cool down
    Total 3,400m

I spent the warm up just swimming and trying to connect with my stroke again whicle everyone did drills. I focused on enough stuff to remind me that swimming is hard. The main set was pretty straightforward but tagged onto the back of the line for the first 3 sets. I just worked with the intention of not getting dropped. The pace was 130-1:35 range mostly and I felt like I was right on threshold most of the time. I just about made the wall on the RT at times. Other times I felt like I was sort of cruising, albeit burning a whole lot of energy. With 1.5k of the main set down I thought to myself that this is where the fitness is gained. I moved up the line to suffer behind the Tecnician and DaveR1 (who were both swimming aerobically). I was wrecked for a finish. Bring on the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I think I passed you out for your run Sunday by the Curragower, anyways, haven't been around the logs in a bit between masters, teaching classes and now boxing! G'luck with the next few goals

Short aerobic run
    I was mad to get out for a nice comfortable aerobic run yesteday but work just went on and on. A big project has shot my opportunities for lunchtime runs recently which just isn't cool with me. Surprisingly, given the forecasts, the heavens had not yet opened. However it was cool, windy and humid and dark clouds gathered above threateningly. I had blue running gear on over black and grey compression gear which drew a greeting from every other runner I passed. A few of us runners seemed to be looping the same estates criss crossing each other at various intersections. It reminded me of a childs game of 'tag' albeit less frantic. I had no technology with me so it was done entirely on feel. I ran a 10k loop at an aerobic tempo, approx 4:20 pace. I felt effortless with the wind on my back and sweaty workinto the wind. The route was rather hilly too. A fw heavy droplets landed on my face as I was fnishing up but I got home dry. Enjoyable run.

Half an hour of core and stretching afterwards and I felt great :)

Brick sesison
    An hour on the bike with some short VO2 intervals. Just 2 minute reps, thats all. Pedalling like crazy to hold 150% FTP for a minute then not letting it drop below 100% FTP for another minute. At 30 seconds it bites, at 40 seconds it hurts, at 45 seconds you want to stop, at 50 seconds you are selling your soul to make the pain stop. The output plummets like a rock from a cliff face on 60 seconds but you have to dig in and catch it before it falls below the threshold. The pain subsides over 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds are more aerobic and manageable. Full recoveries but it didn't stop me roaring at the wall on the last rep. Wobbly as hell.

Off the bike, dry top on. Look outside and its lashing, great. Psyche up to get out in it. Legs feel like lead, can barely lift the knees. The first of 20 strides is up a hill and into the wind. Bags are blowing past faster than I am running. Not sure if I'll get this bit done but catch a breath and cool down after stride 3. Must have 10 done before the turnaround. They are getting faster and breaking the run up. Turnaround approaches sooner than expected. Embracing the pain I guess. 10 done, turn around and the wind stops. The noise in my ears stops. The devil retreats. 10 more strides mostly downhill or flat with a tailwind, I reclaim my soul.

Chocolate recovery shake, 2 perfectly poached and seasoned eggs on toast, peanut butter and jam on toast and a nice hot cup of tea and its like it never happened :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nice turbo set..

Shows the real value of turbo sets vs road...
    Efficient, uninterrupted, and you can get away with screaming/cursing like a lunatic... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Branson Limited Greengrocer

Fazz wrote: »
    Nice turbo set..

Shows the real value of turbo sets vs road...
    Efficient, uninterrupted, and you can get away with screaming/cursing like a lunatic... ;)

+1 i miss my turbo and those pain cave sets from months ago.

Yeterday was a draining day. I covered some mileage in work but we put a big draining project live at last so it was worth it. It was a long day though and I was metally drained. It was a nice evening but I had zero interest in going for a run. I know I would have enjoyed it particularly to shake off the day but I fell asleep on the couch at 8. If I hadn't gone for a swim before work the day would have been an annoying blank. Diet was shocking too... partyfood and beer in work and bowls of cereal before I crashed.

Swim squad.
    I've lost my fins so I'm just about the only person at the pool without any form of toys :( The amount of fins, pull buoys and paddles on deck these days is something else. Still more or less the same people in the same positions in the same lanes though...
    600 easy warm up
    8*50 fast
    500 steady*
    2*250 at that same steady* pace
    8*100 off 1:45
    200 cool down
    3,000 Total

Steady* = Fish pace steady :rolleyes: For the rest of us its CSS or faster!

Last week I said to myself it would take 5-6 sessions to get a feel for the water again. This was session 2 ad with a triathlon on Saturday I just had to findsomething in the session to focus on for the swim section. Otherwise I know I'll just plough into it and spend useless energy thrashing the water. I did get something, although it came right down to the last few 100s.

The 50s had us nicely warmed up. The Fish bolted off for the steady* 500. I chased with my nemesis on my feet and worked my backside off just to hold on. My effort put maybe 10m on my nemesis which was nothing really but enough to ensure me that I was holding a decent pace. I faded on the second 250 fighting with the water in frustration. I was wrecked. The 100s started in much the same vein with me horsing into it to keep up. I had lost my feet and was swimming in no mans land. It was looking like another case of getting through it and waiting for fitness to return. With 3 to go I gave up chasing (I didn't have the energy), relaxed the catch and focused pushing out the last quarter of each stroke. Lo behold, I lost my nemesis again and reined in the feet I'd lost :)

I was still bloody wrecked after the set though. Focus for Saturday, swim hard and focus on the last quarter when I start to fade...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I faded on the second 250 fighting with the water in frustration. I was wrecked. The 100s started in much the same vein with me horsing into it to keep up. I had lost my feet and was swimming in no mans land. It was looking like another case of getting through it and waiting for fitness to return. With 3 to go I gave up chasing (I didn't have the energy), relaxed the catch and focused pushing out the last quarter of each stroke. Lo behold, I lost my nemesis again and reined in the feet I'd lost :)

I assume you learned something here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Am I right in saying Mike - 3 from 3 podiums this year thus far? If so what a start! Great result today man, look forward to your report as always.

• Advertisement

Echo that great start to the season!

Reckon you were very close to the win by looks of it too...

Next up...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congrats Mike a nice start to the season

Am I right in saying Mike - 3 from 3 podiums this year thus far? If so what a start! Great result today man, look forward to your report as always.
    Emm not really El D. 4th and 1st in the 2ARs and 3rd at the Tri. In fairness, not sure about the ARs but the Tri wasn't exacly a deep field. It will be a different kettle of fish when NS points are at stake.
    Fazz wrote: »
    Echo that great start to the season!

Reckon you were very close to the win by looks of it too...

Next up...?
    I knew I needed to swim really really well to be in with any chance. That didn't happen. However I was closer than I thought I would be at the end so happy enough.

Next up on the Tri list for me is Valentia Island National Sprint Champs... now that event will have some depth at it so I can see where I really stand :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on the podium Mike. :cool:

Portlaois Sprint Triathlon Report
    Nothing like a pool based sprint triathlon to dust off the triathlon cobwebs eh. It’s a decent way to gauge if you had an effective winter and how much of a gap you have to work on for the key summer races. As it was a sprint I knew I could give it a lash but also knew it would pinch somewhere due to the lack of consistency in training. The objective was to swim hard, bike hard and run hard. Realistically I knew the swim would be a struggle and I wasn’t sure if I could hit the target 3:55 pace off a hard bike.

Tune up
    The previous day I put down an hour or on the bike with some TT effort. It felt wretched. I must get my set up checked as I wasn’t entirely comfortable. I struggled to hit 36kmh for short efforts which was depressing since I held it for 5 hours last summer, albeit on nice roads. I parked the bike and drove up to the club run session for a half hour of fartlek. I enjoyed it just to distinguish the gulf between easy and hard pace, something I need to embed. I started the session feeling as wooden as I had on the bike. However after the half hour of work I had a spring in my step and a smile on my face.

We registered at 8am but were not off until wave 8 at approximately 1pm. Great, lots of useless hanging around :rolleyes: I met chatted with fellow boardies, Mloc, Macrani and Ceepo, the latter of which was an interesting discussion on running. I met Macrani after his race too and he had a good one. The condition seemed to get progressively worse as we warmed up for the race. We had a short burst of hail which was a sign of things to come.

The Swim
    We sorted ourselves into lanes and I was satisfied that DC, the eventual winner was leading out our lane. I knew he was the one to beat. I figured if I could hang onto his feet for a few lengths and get out on the bike with him in sight I’d have a chance. Although it would involve an unlikely 5k PB off the bike. Just before we set off he was moved to another lane leaving me to lead ours. Not ideal. I set off hard, too hard. Within 100m I had a 10m gap on the rest. I wasn’t going to sustain this pace. The second guy had said he would swim 11:30 and he gradually closed the gap. By 400m I was suffering and caught behind traffic. He caught up and I let him through for the last 250m. As soon as I did so I coasted on his feet and got off the red line. I knew though that the faster swimmers in the other lanes were now pulling away and gave out to myself for missing so many damn swim sessions. I hopped out in 11:52, about right for my current fitness but way below what I wanted.

T1
    Transitions were long but I had an efficient one leaving a few behind me as I trotted up the little hill with my bike. Hopped on and got the feet in straight away so all good.

The Bike
    We had the 4 seasons on the bike including a stinging hail shower! The wind had really picked up though and it was very hard to get some momentum going. I passed one within a km and then the road was empty ahead. I just plugged away as I do trying to keep the cadence fresh. There were a few drags and hills to negotiate and I didn’t do a great job of them. I was mashing too high a gear and losing speed on longer drags. There were a few turns on the course so it was 8km before I caught sight of lead pair. I hadn’t been sure of my position and had a motorbike behind me on and off for 10 minutes a sure signs that I had company on my tail. I figured it was the lead pair a long way up the road as they had a lead motorbike. I pushed on into the wind to bridge the gap but was making painfully slow progress.

The hail shower hit just after 10km and the crosswind blew it straight into the side of our faces. I met one lad in the changing rooms afterwards who looked like he had measles up and down his arms the hail shower had left such a mark! At about 15km my calves started to give trouble and cramp. I had to back off significantly and spin them out on a lower gear. I lost 2 places in quick succession as a result. The first guy looked very strong and indeed caught the lead by T2. The second guy with a Wexford top had a disc wheel and I dropped 15m behind him until my calves eased off again. I used the noise of the disc to keep me focused. I passed him again on the next drag before a tight left hander. I had no sooner passed him by the turn when my bike wobbled and took off on a sideways skid. He later told me he saw me just about hold on and he backed off in time.

Thankfully I just kept in between the ditches. I felt blessed and made hay with the tailwind back to town. I closed the gap completely on 3rd place by the end of the bike and passed him running through T2. Transition itself was efficient until I started to run. Both my calves locked up in cramp. I stopped at the exit to stretch them out. The announced roared something to get me going. I honestly though my day was done.

The Run
    I basically ran on my heels up the little hill onto the road and for the first 500m of the run course. I was in 3rd but I had 4th breathing right down my neck. I relaxed as much as I possibly could until my calves again eased and allowed me to get back on my midfoot and pick up the cadence. The lead pair was some 300m up the road and I focused on them for the next 2km. I pushed as hard as I could go and even started to close the gap inch by inch. As I approached the turnaround however, both of them took a look at me and visibly upped the ante. DC in particular shot off down the road to secure the win. I had a gap of about 50m back to 4th. I was hurting but knew that if I backed off ne bit I’d lose out on the podium. 2nd was just 100m ahead but I couldn’t get any closer. The run was slightly long at 5.18km and I held a 3:54 pace average which was the best part of the race for me, especially with the slow first km. I crossed the line in 3rd in 1:06:47 about a minute behind the winner. The slower times indicative of the conditions. I was pleased with that :)

The cake afterwards was lovely and I have to compliment the trilogy Club for the post race setup. Massage, recovery drink, sandwiches, tea etc... All very good value. My only gripe was that there were no prizes for 2nd and 3rd overall which I just thought was a bit odd. This was a good race and I’d have it on a par with the Nenagh sprint as an option for an season opener. It seemed to cater particularly for rookies and I’d recommend it to anyone doing their first triathlon.

DOMS from HELL
    My calves hurt. Possibly the worst DOMS I've had on them. When I said my calves locked up in cramp in T2 at the weekend I wasn't kidding. I really thought I wasn't going to be able to run a step let alone a half decent run. I even got through a 3 hour bike on Sunday with minimal effects from the race. However yesterday BANG! It felt like someone shot an arrow through both calves. Having to sit at meetings all day on the verge of cramping only compounded the problem and I could barely walk after work. They were sore to touch. I soaked my legs in a hot bath with epsom salts and massaged them gently before getting the compression socks on them. There was free massage on offer post race and I really should have hopped on the table... muppet :rolleyes:

Swimming Numbers
    The 910XT gots its first outing at the weekend but it got the swim all wrong for some reason. As such I was interested in the metrics yesterday morning during the group set. Firstly, it recorded the data and laps etc... accurately which was good. Secondly it broke the data down to pace and efficiency per lap per interval whch I like. Now I have some data on the swim sets rather than just jumping in and following what is going on. I'm most looking forward to tracking how it performs OW though.

The main set in yesterdays session was 4 sets of 2*100/200/2*100. It was a good long 2.4k min going off the wall at 1:45 for the 100s and 3:30 for the 200s
    Set 1 - 1:33, 1:33, 3:09, 1:30, 1:32
    Set 2 - 1:33, 1:36, 3:06, 1:31, 1:31
    Set 3 - 1:28, 1:32, 3:06, 1:30, 1:31
    Set 4 - 1:31, 1:32, 3:09, 1:32, 1:34

Right the first positive is that it was a reasonably solid set. On the 3rd set I dug in but focused on maintaining length. The last 200 was harder work

Some new metrics I have to use now are...
    Pace - The Garmin breaks a longer set down to the pace per length which is good. Interested to see how pace works in OW.
    # of strokes. The Garmin calculates a stroke as a full cycle with one arm. You get total stroks, avg, per interval etc...
    SWOLF - Ive seen this mentioned in a few logs. It basically scores the time in seconds plus the strokes you take fora length. The lower the better.
    Efficiency -Its calculated by your total time plus stokes nomalised to 25m. It will be handy to compare the pool swimming to OW. Again the lower the score the better

The data of course is all relative to how its used. What I learnd from this session is that I took an average of 20.4 strokes to cover a length(counting left and right in a stroke cycle) at an average of 1:34 pace which would equate to 1,560 strokes for an hour IM swim :)

Also according to the average SWOLF and Efficiency scores, I was swimming more efficiently for the 200s which is good I think :confused:

Swim Squad
    I had a day off and was very tempted to sleep in and do a lone swim later. I'm glad I got up as I just need to suffer in the water to get my fitness back. I wouldn't have pushed as push on my own thats for sure...
    300 easy
    300/200/100 in on 4:32/2:58/1:27
    100/200/300 in on 1:30/3:02/4:36
    300/200/100 in on 4:41/3:08/1:33
    3*200 easy avoiding sprints
    1000 steady

3,800m Total, efficiency 34.5, swolf 73, avg 20.2 strokes per length

The main set was 1.8k of solid work in hurtsville. I chased the fish on the first set. A swimmer joined us and did a medley for the 200 in front of me and was almost as quick for all 4 strokes with me flogging it behind her feet :eek: I burned a few too many matches doing so and faded a bit towards the end of the set, particularly after the back to back 300s. I didn't have to rush off to work and extended the swim down to a steady km. The Garmin is telling me that I swam more efficiently than Monday but it doesn't realise I was working harder too!

Short Aerobic Run
    Today was supposed to be my key run session for the week but I decided to do an easy run first to suss out the calves. The held up well except for running up a hill into a stiff wind so it was a sound decision. The key run can wait until tomorrow. I ran to feel but had a HRM in for the first time in weeks. It was a miserably grey day to be running. Cold, wet and very windy. I put down 45 minutes at an average 142 HR and felt good and fresh for a finish. Ready to train again :)

Shotgun you're rekindling my thoughts of a 910xt.....!

Absolutely not a need at all, have the 310xt.
    But the indoor swim interests me.
    I have the Swimovate Poolmate Pro which died a while ago, must seek out if it's just a battery replacement or what.

I was almost sold, then I saw a post of the Quick Release kitted 910xt, and it's basically the same size as the 310xt when on the mount so I figured not much difference when racing then at all (currently use quick release for racing).

I'll be following this though to see how you get on.
    I'm finally following the stop clock in the pool though so coach would not approve... ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Good report, young man,

Hope the legs have free'd out a bit.

Didnt get a chance to talk to after the race, just to say well done,

Did they really not have any Prizes for 2nd and 3rd, Jaysus thats hard to believe, dont know if the Vet's got one, Didnt wait around for to long as i felt i was there long enough ha ha,
    Its a Good race and would like to think i would go back but the fact that would not give prizes to the top 3 would put me off from support any race, maybe i am been narrow minded but it wouldn't have cost them much, and just shows a bit of respect ot the Athlete's, IMO

RANT OVER

Well done again and best of luck on the rest of you season

@Ceepo, good result yourself Chief, was good to met youand best of luck in IMAT.

Turns out I'm around for Joey, but no entry and I have an entry for Valentia Island that I now can't use :mad: My secondary plan for the year sees to have gone to pot also so I need to have a rethink about that. Challenge Barcelona is still on for now though...

Aerobic Tempo brick session
    90 mins turbo at 80-85% FTP
    45 mins run at 140-150 HR
    Solid session. The turbo started poorly though as my legs took an age to fire. It took 40 minutes to find a groove. It was a strong steady effort that required focus. I've done an hour at this effort plenty of times but 90 mins was a big jump and felt just that. I took a relaxed few minutes to transition before hitting the road. Again my legs felt wooden for a few minutes before I found a stride. I cruised at a steady state for an average 147 HR, a bit higher than I'd like. I finished the session hungry but feeling good physically. It felt like a start to the IM journey again and a bit of dread as to what is to come over the next few months.

Squad Swim
    First week putting down 3 swims since February and its improving...
    900 warm up easy at 1:45 pace
    10*50 with 25 hard 25 easy in on 40-41 for them all
    4*150 in on 2:12/2:16/2:15/2:20
    4*200 in on 3:03/3:03/3:03/3:01
    4*100 in on 1:28/1:32/1:30/1:31
    Total 3,200m avg swolf 68, avg efficieny 33:48, avg strokes/length 20

Really liked the 1.8k main set of work. I purposely swam a long warm up straight to get some sort of feel for the water. The 150s were faster than CSS pace and hard work so I was sort of dreading the 200s. I followed 2 fish but couldn't hang on and swam the whole set in no mans land. I really focused on what I was doing for the 200s though and was very pleased with the consistency. We were off the wall at 1:45 RT pace as usual. I felt the pinch on the 100s though and they were a bit dogged. Getting there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

@Ceepo, good result yourself Chief, was good to met youand best of luck in IMAT.

Turns out I'm around for Joey, but no entry and I have an entry for Valentia Island that I now can't use :mad: My secondary plan for the year sees to have gone to pot also so I need to have a rethink about that. Challenge Barcelona is still on for now though...

Aerobic Tempo brick session
    90 mins turbo at 80-85% FTP
    45 mins run at 140-150 HR
    Solid session. The turbo started poorly though as my legs took an age to fire. It took 40 minutes to find a groove. It was a strong steady effort that required focus. I've done an hour at this effort plenty of times but 90 mins was a big jump and felt just that. I took a relaxed few minutes to transition before hitting the road. Again my legs felt wooden for a few minutes before I found a stride. I cruised at a steady state for an average 147 HR, a bit higher than I'd like. I finished the session hungry but feeling good physically. It felt like a start to the IM journey again and a bit of dread as to what is to come over the next few months.

Squad Swim
    First week putting down 3 swims since February and its improving...
    900 warm up easy at 1:45 pace
    10*50 with 25 hard 25 easy in on 40-41 for them all
    4*150 in on 2:12/2:16/2:15/2:20
    4*200 in on 3:03/3:03/3:03/3:01
    4*100 in on 1:28/1:32/1:30/1:31
    Total 3,200m avg swolf 68, avg efficieny 33:48, avg strokes/length 20

Really liked the 1.8k main set of work. I purposely swam a long warm up straight to get some sort of feel for the water. The 150s were faster than CSS pace and hard work so I was sort of dreading the 200s. I followed 2 fish but couldn't hang on and swam the whole set in no mans land. I really focused on what I was doing for the 200s though and was very pleased with the consistency. We were off the wall at 1:45 RT pace as usual. I felt the pinch on the 100s though and they were a bit dogged. Getting there...

That's some solid swimming chief... keep up the good work...

So Mike what's happening re your goals for the year? I'm just referring to the goal posts moving comment and has it anything to do with not being able to do Valentia in two weeks which I am very sorry to hear dude, correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we matched up was in Budapest 2010?

Decisions decisions decisions...

Nada done this weekend, zip, niente, rien, sweet f a...
    I had great intentions of a quality run and a long bike. A combination of a social life and my demon's own brand of sloth and gluttony vetoed those intentions with aplomb. It wasn't all bad, fun was had and lots of it :) Amidst the distractions came the reality that recent Life situations would make this year's race wishlist unrealistic. I began with a grand old list and all... most of it fun. Some of it had a 2013 focused purpose.

The main targets
    Kilkee Hell of the West - I was really looking forward to this and missing out on Joey and Valentia Island now has me looking forward to it even more. I've only done it once on my Rookie Year so can't wait to do it again!
    Challenge Barcelona. I've been in a kind of a Tunniesque state of mind lately. So much so that Caz gave m a sort of Glenda take on it! The bottom line is that its still the key goal for this year. Priority #1 is getting into shape to have a go at the sub10 again.

The Fun stuff
    Do an adventure race - tick :)
    Do a 10 miler - tick :)
    Run up some hills in the dark - tick :)
    Do an IMRA race - to do
    Throw a Javelin! - to do
    MTB the Ballyhouras trails - to do
    10k swim (fun :confused:) - very unlikely

The 2013 focused stuff
    I had my eye on the ITU World Long Distance Champs in France which is why I lined up a few NS races. I had picked 5 races to get a top 10 AG NS slot but that plan has come undone. Most of the races were early summer so as not to impinge on quality weekend IM training. I've no intention nor will Life allow me to stuff a handful of race into July and August so that plan is out the window. Another approach would be to get a top 10 AG at the Kenmare Lost Sheep race but that is 2.5 weeks out from Barcelona and just madness. Actually its the reason I took on a coach, to rein me back from myself! Part of me thinks that I can do Kenmare and get a top 10AG off an IM paced effort using it as a solid training sesson leading into taper :rolleyes: Its hard not to think about next year when you think about going long. Particularly if you want to do an M Dot race you have to enter it a year in advance and with the popularity of Challenge Races on the rise you can't be too complacent about those either. I just know I'll have pin something so that I don't fall off the wagon after Barcelona a miss a winter's training. I have some other bits in mind for next year anyway if this ceases to be a realistic target.

Next Races
    Great Limerick Run Half Marathon this weekend. This means something to me after the DNF last year. Given the inconsistent training so far I'll be delighted to PB. Hopefully --amadeus-- shows up and paces me to the point were I just have to suck it up and hang on. Looking forward to it.
    TryAthy Double Olympic. This was basically to kick start the IM training if it hadn't already kick started. Plus it was one of the early NS races I had lined up. Plus getting geared up for a 5 hour race will get me in shape to give Kilkee a lash. Not looking forward to it.

@El D-- Yep, Budapest I think. Have a pic of you, me and Bambaata under the tricolour on my fridge.

I heard all the cool kids are thinking of IM Frankfurt next year;)

I will see you at the start line in TriAthy Double Oly. Are you treating it as a race or IM paced training day? I am wavering on Barca myself will see how i come out of Roth.

Swim Squad
    I like getting the Monday morning swim done as it sets the tone for the week. Just a skeleton crew down from the usualbusy group. I susect most were enjoying a lie in after the Joey Hannon yesterday. As there were no fish about , I lead out the middle lane gang for a 2.2k main set.
    4*200 off 3:40
    4*100 off 1:50
    4*50 off 0:55
    4*200 off 3:40
    Total 3,200m includng warm up and swim down.

Solid set. I maintained a strong cruise throughout focusing on catch and high elbow after it. The extra 5 seconds on the RTs and not chasing fish made a lot of difference. For a change, I wasn't breathless hopping out after the session.

I heard all the cool kids are thinking of IM Frankfurt next year;)

I will see you at the start line in TriAthy Double Oly. Are you treating it as a race or IM paced training day? I am wavering on Barca myself will see how i come out of Roth.

I'll keep that in mind. Start of Kona quest for you no doubt. Eh... I'm aiming to survive TryAthy. I've done nothing resembling an IM type session yet let alone IM paced!

@El D-- Yep, Budapest I think. Have a pic of you, me and Bambaata under the tricolour on my fridge.

Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I wouldnt rule out the LD champs next year MCOS. TI don't fill half their spots and im sure you could talk to them. Id be surprised if they didnt let you go.

Steady Run with HM bits
    Gluts and hammers are a bit stiff today. I spent a few minuts doing flick kicks and lunges waiting for the Garmin to find signal last night. Its a good way to warm up the legs actually and I will do it more often so the Glutes don't give out to me for foreign activity the next day. The run itself was 54 minutes being blown about by a gusty wind. It included 10 mins, 5 mins and 5*1 mins segments at a sweet spot type of clip. The segments of work were more of an effort than Id like which wasn't a good sign ahead of the weekend. My legs were crying out for stretching when I finished and my half hearted attempt while cooking a thai green curry just didn't do. I was going to get for a swim this morning but my calves were twitching during the night and I decided against it. I really have to spend some quality time on the mat after this evenings session.
    Total 12.66km

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule out the LD champs next year MCOS. TI don't fill half their spots and im sure you could talk to them. Id be surprised if they didnt let you go.

+1, sure if i can get in.......

Advertisement