Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the bible original / unique

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd like to dump this into Christianity, but I think I'll spare them. :pac:

I have no idea about the originality of the bible, and I don't claim to be an expert. In fact, afaic, the exact origins of one particular book aren't a definitive factor of atheism in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Well, I think it does relate to athiesm. One of the claims of christianity / judaism etc is that the bible is the word of god. That it's contents were dictated to the writers by god etc. IE "How do we know there is a god? Cause the bible says so. How do we know the bible can be trusted? Cause god wrote it. How do we know he wrote it? Cause it says so."

Can it have been written by god if it's a blatent rip off of previous works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Important to remember is the bible is a collection of books. They are collected to create a cohesive whole. You could just as easily create a completely different bible by using different ancient works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

oeb wrote: »
    Well, I think it does relate to athiesm. One of the claims of christianity / judaism etc is that the bible is the word of god. That it's contents were dictated to the writers by god etc. IE "How do we know there is a god? Cause the bible says so. How do we know the bible can be trusted? Cause god wrote it. How do we know he wrote it? Cause it says so."
    I'm not saying it isn't a factor, but it's still only one of any number of holy writings. There's more to atheism than debunking Christianity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Dades wrote: »
    I'm not saying it isn't a factor, but it's still only one of any number of holy writings. There's more to atheism than debunking Christianity!

I do not argue about that fact =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Has Christianity been debunked? When? How? Where? and by whom? I wanna know and be done with it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Has Christianity been debunked? When? How? Where? and by whom? I wanna know and be done with it :eek:

Well we're atheists we don't care as long as we don't have to be subjected to any policy with a Christian/Muslim/insert religion here bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There are a great deal of sentences containing the words 'seems to' in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

'Since Genesis seems to borrow...'
    '...it seems to be derived from'
    '...sounds suspiciously like'
    '...seem to derive'
    '...seem less likely'

Every paragraph contains accusations backed-up with these limp-wristed qualifiers. The author should either back the claims up with evidence and drop the subjectivity or not make the claims in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

'Since Genesis seems to borrow...'
    Since nobody knows for sure that this has happened, it's dishonest to claim certainty where it does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Remember how agnostics don't like to deal in absolutes..

Advertisement