Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I like the job, but not the work environment

• 13-02-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Every Friday I leave the office and am so happy to leave. Every Sunday morning I wake up thinking all day that Ive to go back to work in a place am not happy working in.

I do like the job - its what I studied for - and I know how lucky I am to have this experience (ok I am 33 and actually I have worked hard to get the job). I knew after a few weeks that I did not feel comfortable there, but it was only a 6mth contract and said would stick it out. Now they are talking about making me more of a permanent fixture. But I dont like it there - I dont like where I sit, I dont get on at all with one of my colleagues (managers know about this), its very noisy in there...I am thinking if they do keep me on, in August I will have 1 years experience in the field, and might help me to move somewhere else. I should grit my teeth and get that experience. But right now I dont know why I am convincing myself to do this when I feel unhappy.

Can someone provide advice on what I should may be do? Am bit mixed up/torn in myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I dont like where I sit, I dont get on at all with one of my colleagues (managers know about this), its very noisy in there...

Hate to tell you this, but unless you're self-employed these are common annoyances in work.
    It's good there's only one colleague you don't get on with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi guys,
    Every Friday I leave the office and am so happy to leave. Every Sunday morning I wake up thinking all day that Ive to go back to work in a place am not happy working in.

I do like the job - its what I studied for - and I know how lucky I am to have this experience (ok I am 33 and actually I have worked hard to get the job). I knew after a few weeks that I did not feel comfortable there, but it was only a 6mth contract and said would stick it out. Now they are talking about making me more of a permanent fixture. But I dont like it there - I dont like where I sit, I dont get on at all with one of my colleagues (managers know about this), its very noisy in there...I am thinking if they do keep me on, in August I will have 1 years experience in the field, and might help me to move somewhere else. I should grit my teeth and get that experience. But right now I dont know why I am convincing myself to do this when I feel unhappy.

Can someone provide advice on what I should may be do? Am bit mixed up/torn in myself.

This is quite common. But you have to push for balance and try not to think about work when you're off.

Look on the positive, for some of this, you're in a good position, you do like the job, that's a major thing to consider.

If you don't like where you sit, look for a better desk space and ask for it. Always ask, what's the worse can happen?

If there's only one colleague you don't get on with, you're doing much better than most!

If it's noisy in there, bring in your iPod and invest in a good pair of noise cancelling earphones. Instead of the usual din, you'll have some soothing music to listen to.

Always try and make the best of the situation. You can always look around for the dream job, but don't let things get you down in your current one.

Boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're on a fixed term contract. You're free to look around for other jobs, there's no rule that says you need to serve out the whole term. If some other company offered you a permie role now, you'd be mad not to take it ... 'cos after all, right now you're not permanent.

So get busy looking. And if you can't find anything better, when the take-it-or-not question comes up, you can simply weigh up an unhappy workplace vs being poor at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Hate to tell you this, but unless you're self-employed these are common annoyances in work.
    It's good there's only one colleague you don't get on with.

agree,

don't want to belittle the OPs issue, but most of the complaints are relatively trivial. You can ask to move some where else to sit surely.
    Every employee will have a beef with at least one fellow employee about something, wait til you start to move up the ranks.
    you say you like the job, dont jack it in over any of this.

Advertisement