Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dsl speeds - how fast should my line be?

• 07-04-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

First off I should commend the community that is Ireland Offline - I have been reading the boards for many months and it is apparent that the hard work done here has benefited Irish broadband users.

Now to my question:

I have a (now) 2mb line with 24:1 contention. The best speed I have seen thusfar has been c. 140KB and any speed check I have tried gives me around 1400 kbs (including estimated overhead).

My ISP says this speed is quite normal for a 2mb line with this contention - does anyone have any thoughts / experience they could share?

On an unrelated matter - the recent OECD exercise was a great idea. I was slightly surprised when I saw the table on the website. Would it be an idea to present this info in more human (and in particular Media people) -friendly fashion e.g. downloadable pdf document with graphs etc. or downloadable graphics (something akin to media packs that are available on some sites)? Not trying to criticise the good work but I reckon that pictures and images have a far greater impact on readers than words and numbers presented in a table. Just my $0.02 which I hope is not considered critical.

Keep up the good work.

Best rgds

vito

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Vito, I think there are a lot of issues with the recent broadband upgrades. There are dozens of threads in the Broadband Forum about this. I'd say wait a while and you may get the full potential from your line.

I agree with the PDF or graphs idea. For our next report we'll try and do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

*bump*

Perhaps setup a sub-committee to deal with these types of broadband querys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Blitz wrote:

Perhaps setup a sub-committee to deal with these types of broadband querys ?

Hmmm. Sub-committee is an idea that could be workable. (more on that in a future thread though.)

One of the things I've always liked the most about the IrelandOffline forum is the way a newbie can come in here and ask questions and request information and 9 out of 10 times it is not a committee member that answers the question but one of the other informed posters.

The fun thing is a lot of the current posters who dole out advice were themselves innocent, less knowledgeable and possibly less cynical when they first visited this forum. The regular users on the forum are the experts and they train in the new people. The knowledge sharing and the learning that happens in this forum is really impressive and cuts down an awful lot of work the committee would have to deal with.

It would be good though that when our Wiki on the website is put live *glares at Bealtaine* that the answers to all the various questions would be posted on the wiki.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Take Damien as an example. When he joined he knew absolutely nothing about comms, now he knows twice as much!

heh

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

damien.m wrote:
    *glares at Bealtaine*

Yeah!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement