Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2700s being withdrawn, possibly sold off?

• 08-02-2012 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

This thread is probably going to descend into anarchy, but this is an issue worth talking about.

Recent rumbings on IRN indicate IE seem to be planning to withdraw the 2700 series DMUs from service. When the new 22000s come on stream, that will free 29000s from long distance work which will allow them to displace 2800s on commuter work. The 2800s will then be sent out of the Dublin area to operate Limerick, WRC, South Tipp and Ballina trains.

A few 2800 sets have already gone south to Limerick for driver training.

Whatever about disposing of the Alstom DARTs that never worked, or the MK3s where you could at least make the case of staff savings and operating effencies, this move totally baffles me. The 2700s were repainted and lightly refurbished to remove gangways in the past year, at a cost of thousands per set I would assume.

Does anyone have any more information? Am I alone in thinking this is slightly scandalous, if true(which I am not sure of yet)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

As a guess, I would say that this is an indication of the intention to reduce services and cut out branches, thus less stock is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

corktina wrote: »
    As a guess, I would say that this is an indication of the intention to reduce services and cut out branches, thus less stock is required.

That's true. If things work out properly we will have a network set up for fast and express travel between Dublin and the few other other population centers(Cork, Limerick, Galway and a couple of the larger towns along the way). Buses can handle the minuscule demand currently served by branch trains in Nenagh and South Tipp.

It would be nice if IE were a bit more open and transparent about their future plans, but I guess they can't make any plans, they can just operate the services the DoT tells them to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless they just want rid of anything and everything made by GEC Alsthom in Spain, there's no reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Following a pattern, getting rid of more reasonably young stock for no obvious reason apart from wanting to waste millions on new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2600s to go back on Ballina Branch when 2700s go from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Following a pattern, getting rid of more reasonably young stock for no obvious reason apart from wanting to waste millions on new stuff
    I can't see them getting new stuff for quite some time, by the time they shut down more lines they will have ample rolling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I can't see them getting new stuff for quite some time,

new stuff only arrived recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    When the new 22000s come on stream
    No need to book the farewell special just yet then :rolleyes:

new stuff only arrived recently.
    They would have all been ordered several years back when things were good and before they scuttled the MK3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The IRRS are now advertising one of their infamous farewell specials for the 2700s. It will take in Ballybrophy to Limerick and Limerick to Waterford.

• Advertisement

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20176/FORM%2012%2002%20%20%20%202700%20OUTING.pdf

Wow, that's mad, I guess it really does confirm it then.

On a discussion on RUI the issue of the "last train" to and from Waterford has come up again. Back in April 2010 and the south Wexford closure I was kicking around the thought of extending the Limerick Junction 2700 set arrival at 2027 into Waterford up to Carlow. This would give a connection to the last northbound service ex Carlow and also a connection from the last southbound to Carlow. This would mean a transfer across the footbridge at Carlow though.

Normally I would scoff at the notion of replacing the current 2700 with a 22000, a 100mph 200 seat set for tens of passengers at 40mph (I may have done some scoffing along those lines with respect to the WRC).

Now the Waterford-LJ set is the only 2700 working out of Waterford to my knowledge. Should it be replaced by a 3 x 22000 then the Carlow transfer would become unnecessary - the 2010 ex Heuston (also a 3 x 22000 I understand) would simply run through to Waterford and the service ex Waterford would pick up the Carlow traffic heading back north, essentially a set swap, assuming the crews could exchange sets at some point to get back to their bases. A no change service would be more convenient for the passengers.

Additionally, being an all-22000 base would mean having a spare 22000 on hand on Sundays to extend any 3-car runs to 6 where useful which the 2700 is useless for at present as well as offering some possible crewing opportunities to make best use of rosters.

The cherry on top would be the explosion of rage from the Wesht if they got "stuck" with 2800s while the Clonmel line was fully converted to 22s :D

dowlingm wrote: »
    No need to book the farewell special just yet then :rolleyes:
    Hungerford wrote: »
    The IRRS are now advertising one of their infamous farewell specials for the 2700s. It will take in Ballybrophy to Limerick and Limerick to Waterford.
    :o

I guess Rotem have got off their ass and fixed at least some of the "block 2" sets to free up 2800s to replace the 27s.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the DOT don't do something to ensure these do not get scrapped or "Mark 3"ed, I'd be amazed. Forcing them to be stored for a putative private operator entry (the EU exemption from that will fall soon) would be the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

A 2700 farewell special... I feel old (at 23!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hungerford wrote: »
    Will there be food available?

Will there be food available?

Yes, Rail Gourmet will be providing catering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What will happen to the hybrid 2600/2700 set, 2609/2716? All the work that went into that. It spent months in Scotland and then almost another half year in Drogheda to get it into service.

I take it that will be scrapped too. I doubt 2609 will be able to act as a spare car for the 2600 fleet again with all the work that was done to it to enable it to be a 2700 D1 or D2 car. So it looks like the first 2600 loss.

It will be interesting to see where the 2700s are parked up into rustage. Will the scrapping of the Mark 3s be "justified" by "we've nowhere to park the 27s"?

Their aircon units should be removed and the DMUs shrinkwrapped. When CIE finally have their trainsets removed from them by Austerity maybe Porterbrook or Angel Trains or HSBC Rail will find a use for them.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20176/FORM%2012%2002%20%20%20%202700%20OUTING.pdf

Wow, that's mad, I guess it really does confirm it then.

"Catering will be provided on the special train by Rail Gourmet" :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So not the usual fare. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So not the usual fare. ;)
    Bags of crisps warm sandwiches and warmer bottles of sparkling water:) and no I don't want to speculate about the sandwich fillings:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

A 2700 class preservation society? ;)

dmcronin wrote: »
    A 2700 class preservation society? ;)
    That's only if they have enough room for them in Moyasta. :p

It's always important that IE have the excuse "shure we've no stock" available at all times, and if that means scrapping, well... :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If the 2700s are being withdrawn, what rolling stock will be deployed on the Limerick to Galway line?

2800s by the looks of things - 2805/6 is already down in Limerick. 22000s will be taking over 2800 duties in Greater Dublin and they have large commonalities with the 2600 fleet in Cork. 2700 fleet is an outlier. Of course, this was probably known last year when IE was spending money boarding up gangways and repainting said 2700s into "fake 22000" livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

What would then be deployed on the Limerick Junction - Waterford Line?

Surely a 3 car 22000 would be overkill for this line?

What would then be deployed on the Limerick Junction - Waterford Line?

Surely a 3 car 22000 would be overkill for this line?
    They could always do away with the middle bit and have just two cars. :p

• Advertisement

The 5-car 22000 laid up in Inchicore implies that even if you can (operate minus a B carriage), they don't want to.

Advertisement