Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

• 13-04-2010 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

A thread on all current events of Leinster rugby!

Fixtures, Results, Player Form, Injuries, Team Selections, Transfers, Competitions, Up & Coming Players etc.

As it stands, Leinster are into the semi finals of the Heineken Cup and are playing away to Toulouse! It's a very tough encounter and is one we'd have to say will require another massive and famous performance such as the Quarter Final against the same team in 2006 or the Seim Final against Munster in 2009.

At the moment, injury concerns are Luke Fitzgerald, who's out until the end of the season, or towards the very end of the season at best, and Sean O'Brien, who will be out until next season.

Rob Kearney is currently out with a small injury, as with Johnny Sexton and Brian O'Driscoll, all of whom are being rested this week in the lead up to the Magners League clash with the Ospreys. All are expected to be fit for the semi-final clash.

FORWARDS: Leo Cullen, John Fogarty, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Nathan Hines, Bernard Jackman, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Kevin McLaughlin, Malcolm O'Kelly, Mike Ross, Rhys Ruddock, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner, CJ van der Linde, Stan Wright

BACKS: Shaun Berne, Andrew Conway, Gordon D'Arcy, Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, Simon Keogh, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Eoin O'Malley, Eoin Reddan

The Ospreys have named a full strength squad for the Ulster clash on Wednesday and having played at the weekend also, may see some of their stars rested for the trip to Dublin, which may hopefully see Leinster edge one step closer to top spot in the Magners League and home advantage for the play-off semi's and possibly final.

Shaune Beirne talked about Leinster aiming for a double and coming into the business end of the season, despite a couple of long term injury concerns and some walking wounded, Leinster look well placed to compete for both cups.

A massive game against Toulouse away and home wins v Ospreys & Edinburgh in the Magners League should see us compete in both finals!

Exciting times! Nervous times! But a great time to be a Leinster fan.

Discuss! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be about 95% sure at this point that Leinster will win the ML. Victory over Ospreys on Friday will more or less guarantee top spot and a home semi and final. Tough to see them being beaten from there.

Toulouse away will be a defining game for Leinster's season, but I think an ML title and a HEC semi will be a successful season.

Chieka is certainly leaving Leinster in a far better position then he found them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

To get you in the mood for the Semi-Final Clash, here are some golden moments against Toulouse in the past that Leinster must look to do again in order to claim another victory over the European giants!

Arguably the greatest game in Heineken Cup history, also with arguably the best try in Heineken Cup history, by Denis Hickie.

And most recently, Leinsters victory over Toulouse in the RDS

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be about 95% sure at this point that Leinster will win the ML. Victory over Ospreys on Friday will more or less guarantee top spot and a home semi and final. Tough to see them being beaten from there.

Toulouse away will be a defining game for Leinster's season, but I think an ML title and a HEC semi will be a successful season.

Chieka is certainly leaving Leinster in a far better position then he found them in.

Home final as well?

castie wrote: »
    Home final as well?

Top qualified finalist gets a home final

Top qualified finalist gets a home final

Ah okay hadnt heard that. Assumed it would be a neutral venue.

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »
    Ah okay hadnt heard that. Assumed it would be a neutral venue.

Not much point having a Leinster-Munster final in Murrayfield or a Glasgow-Edin final in Thomond/RDS though. Competition isn't at the level of the HEC were masses would travel for the final so this is pretty necessary.

There are no capacity requirements as far as I know, so the overwhelming likelihood is that the semi and final will be in the RDS. The only semi opponent I would have any concerns about would be Munster, and even then I'd make Leinster fairly decent favourites (famous last words I know).

Not much point having a Leinster-Munster final in Murrayfield or a Glasgow-Edin final in Thomond/RDS though. Competition isn't at the level of the HEC were masses would travel for the final so this is pretty necessary.

There are no capacity requirements as far as I know, so the overwhelming likelihood is that the semi and final will be in the RDS. The only semi opponent I would have any concerns about would be Munster, and even then I'd make Leinster fairly decent favourites (famous last words I know).

After the 2 league wins and the HEC win youd have to really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Where did you hear O'Brien was out until next season, Jackass?

I was under the impression he would be back in May sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

The branch has said they would look at Croker for a Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

What's the score with Sexton for the HEC Semi? According to RTE he may be a doubt for the game....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/0413/sexton_leinster.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

My dad was in they gym yesterday nad he saw Kearney there with one of those boot things on his foot. He was doing all sort of exercises there. Have also heard he was out the night of the game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Luke got some serious steps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Arguably the greatest game in Heineken Cup history

A response to that assertion deserves a thread of it's own :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Injury news in today's Indo. http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/bad-break-2135348.html
    • Sexton - Major doubt for semi final. Unlikely to make it with only 18 days to go and a 3-4 week recovery period.
    • Kearney (ankle ligaments)- Out for Ospreys game, but probably okay for semi.
    • Drico (knee) - Out for Ospreys game, but probably okay for semi.
    • Horgan - Didn't train but should be fine for Ospreys.
    • D'Arcy - Didn't train but should be fine for Ospreys.
    • Sean O'Brien - Race against time to be fit for Semi's. Won't get played if he doesn't play in the game v Glasgow the week before.

Didn't realise SOB was so close to a return. Might make the ML semi and then either final if we get that far. Good"injury" news at last. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I hope they don't rush him. Nothing worse than seeing a semi-fit player on the pitch, with match rust to boot.

shawpower wrote: »
    [*]Sexton - Major doubt for semi final. Unlikely to make it with only 18 days to go and a 3-4 week recovery period.
    [*]Sean O'Brien - Race against time to be fit for Semi's. Won't get played if he doesn't play in the game v Glasgow the week before.
    [/LIST]

Bollocks to the first point, though I didn't realise SOB was so close to being back so that's great. If he's fit for the semi then fantastic, as Leinster really miss him, but if not then a few good performances at the end of the ML should see him on the summer tour.

McFadden has to start against Toulouse if Sexton is out. Leinster will need to take every point going and I wouldn't trust either Berne or Nacewa to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Bollocks to the first point, though I didn't realise SOB was so close to being back so that's great. If he's fit for the semi then fantastic, as Leinster really miss him, but if not then a few good performances at the end of the ML should see him on the summer tour.

McFadden has to start against Toulouse if Sexton is out. Leinster will need to take every point going and I wouldn't trust either Berne or Nacewa to do that.

Drop D'Arcy? Not an easy decision to make and I cant see Cheika making it.

I agree with you BTW

Drop D'Arcy? Not an easy decision to make and I cant see Cheika making it.

I agree with you BTW

Well if Kearney doesn't make it you could move Nacewa to full back and put McFadden on the wing, or drop Horgan for McFadden (he wasn't great against Clermont anyway). It would probably require McFadden to get game time at wing over the next couple games though, and considering BOD is out its far more likely he'll find himself in the centre.

It's a tough one, but Clermont themselves showed what can happen when you can't kick goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well if Kearney doesn't make it you could move Nacewa to full back and put McFadden on the wing, or drop Horgan for McFadden (he wasn't great against Clermont anyway). It would probably require McFadden to get game time at wing over the next couple games though, and considering BOD is out its far more likely he'll find himself in the centre.

It's a tough one, but Clermont themselves showed what can happen when you can't kick goals.

Yep we totally need a top class kicker for this. We're not gonna be running in tries under the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

durkadurka wrote: »
    Yep we totally need a top class kicker for this. We're not gonna be running in tries under the posts.

god help us if mcfadden is our no. 1 kicker in the semi. Can do a job but certainly not a top class kicker.

• Advertisement

nosco wrote: »
    god help us if mcfadden is our no. 1 kicker in the semi. Can do a job but certainly not a top class kicker.

McFadden is Leinster's best kicker (including Sexton).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Theres nobody else is there? Berne didn't impress me, to say the least, when i saw him a few times this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

McFadden is Leinster's best kicker (including Sexton).

wrong. He's an average stand in kicker, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

McFadden is a quality kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I'd be confident in McFadden kicking the relatively basic ones with ease, but as for kicks from the touchlines or from distance I would definitely want Sexton in there to take them.

Perhaps it's just me, but if McFadden and Sexton were both regulars in the Leinster team I would have McFadden kicking the dead ball every single time. I would like anyone to point out to me one single game in which McFadden has been less than excellent from the tee.

As far as I am concerned he is both a more natural kicker of the ball and a better one than Sexton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Have to say, Sextons kicking as a whole has really impressed me, but he has had some bad blips, but he's getting there and could well end up being a consistant 85% kicker. He was over 90% for a good chunk of the season.

McFadden is a superb kicker though. He's probably better than Sexton. Nice to have the option though, and he'll more than likely be regular Leinster after the world cup. Can't stress enough though, his future is at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

There's a lot of negativity floating around about the current situation at Leinster. I don't think our performances have been great since christmas, and yet we're 4 points clear at the top of the magner's with a game in hand, and are through to the semi's of the HEC. not bad for a team not firing on all cylinders!!!
    Our injury concerns are a HUGE worry i agree, but at least we're in with a chance!!
    This draw has been terrible for leinster. first clermont now toulouse. who's blody next? the all blacks?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭curts82

This draw has been terrible for leinster. first clermont now toulouse. who's blody next? the all blacks?:eek:

Worse than the All blacks..........Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 sarah_lennon

not true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement