Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fragmentation and Raid

• 05-10-2008 12:46am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any point in defragmenting the filesystem on a Raid 5 array?

I'm thinking: I'm not sure, but I'm questioning it because the individual files are spread over multiple disks anyway, so what's the point in a nice orderly filesystem?

The specifics of the array are:
    3 x 750G drives
    linux kernel softraid
    XFS filesystem
    About 90% in use.
    About 25% fragmented filesystem. :eek:

edit: I should say that I don't think the specifics are overly important, but I suppose some people might want them. It's more of a general discussion type question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

AFAIK the way RAID works is to have a number of similar/identical drives acting in concert. By their very nature, hard drives have data files stored paralell over a number of platters, i.e. parts of the file are read/written in paralell, increasing overall speed. Individual files are not stored solely on a single platter.
    RAIDing has the practical effect of increasing the number of platters in use for all data, as opposed to non-RAID setups where each drive acts independently. So yes, I would imagine there is a point to defragmenting RAID arrays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where's the harm?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where's the harm?

It's more of a curiosity. I ran the defrag last night anyway. I don't _fully_ understand how the filesystem fragmentation would affect the performance (if at all) given that the 3 disks are being read from anyway. I'm not sure if (for example) all 3 disks are read from in parallel and if so would a defragmented filesystem mean that there is less seek time? That's the theory on a single disk.

I am certain that there is some parallelisation of reading going on, as I get about 150MB/s read speed from the array and no single disk is capable of that.
    SeanW wrote: »
    Individual files are not stored solely on a single platter.

That's interesting. I assumed that with a single drive this was the point of a defrag, but of course parallel reads from multiple platters makes more sense. I'm still not getting the bigger picture of filesystem over raid5 though tbh.

Advertisement