Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap insurance for 18 year old

Options
  • 13-02-2013 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi, I am about to purchase my forst policy in my own name and am wondering what is the best comparsion site to use to get cheap insurance. The car I'm about to insure is a bmw 318is. Any help apreciated. So far all the sites I have visited have declined me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hahahahahaha

Good luck to you is all I'll say!

I presume you're on a Learner Permit?

Expect to pay thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Good luck with that op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I recently got quoted 7k to insure a similar car a a new driver, a 316 from '99. and I am considerably older than 18

you are going to seriously need to adjust your definition of what cheap is.

I would suggest selling it and getting a cheaper to insure car, or be prepared to kiss good bye to putting petrol in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

best comparsion site to use to get cheap insurance.

www.comparethemarket.com

Sorry OP could not resist.

I would say you have little to no chance of getting insurance on that, let alone the cheap one.

I'd consider changing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hahahahahaha

Good luck to you is all I'll say!

I presume you're on a Learner Permit?

Expect to pay thousands.
    Is that a pic of a bmw on ur profile alan? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I had an e36 316I 1.9 as my first car on a learner permit it was 3000 for the insurance with quinn now liberty insurance. that was on a learner permit with no previous insurance policies. it worked out at 180 a month after paying the lump up front. It was a very fun car especially on a wet night. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

So far all the sites I have visited have declined me.

Thanks

You will have to ring them for a quote

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Hi, I am about to purchase my forst policy in my own name and am wondering what is the best comparsion site to use to get cheap insurance. The car I'm about to insure is a bmw 318is. Any help apreciated. So far all the sites I have visited have declined me.

Thanks

Majority of insurers will have restrictions on that model for under 21s/25s/30s Im afraid, best bet is to ring round. If you are declined a quote, request it in writing. If you cant get a quote from any company, you can refer it on to the declined cases committee of the IIF.

Best advice is swap it for a corsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 q0d53kbvsi6rgy

Well, Thanks for the advice but I just got quoted for €2443.61 for third party insurance on a 1.6 petrol 1996 bmw e36 316 from Fbd insurance and that is probably the best deal I'm gonna get so I might consider one of those. Is this a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

if you want to pay 2.5k for insurance and can afford it, sure its a great idea.

you may regret it later tho.

Id keep ringing around a few different companies to see if I could get better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 q0d53kbvsi6rgy

if you want to pay 2.5k for insurance and can afford it, sure its a great idea.

you may regret it later tho.

Id keep ringing around a few different companies to see if I could get better

Is it a good car?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Does it have to be a BMW ??
    Not often will some on this forum(or anyone) tell you to just get a smaller but sporty car like a honda civic 1.5.
    From your other choices you'd probably wouldn't mind it and you'd only get a normal a$$raping from insurance for it.

Make sure to try Brittons insurance. €1400 for me 19 on provisional under nobody for a 1.4 vvti corolla. Its plenty fast (too fast for a learner imo :P:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Well, Thanks for the advice but I just got quoted for €2443.61 for third party insurance on a 1.6 petrol 1996 bmw e36 316 from Fbd insurance and that is probably the best deal I'm gonna get so I might consider one of those. Is this a good idea?

I just got a renewal from first Ireland recently, they've recently started using an underwriter called sertus.

My insurance last year was €960 third party on my first policy provisional. This year I got a renewal of €490 fully comp on a full licence. :O

If you go onto the sertus website they'll tell you what brokers they use, pick one and ring it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Is that a pic of a bmw on ur profile alan? Lol

Not just any BMW, it's MY BMW!

OP, 2.5k on that car is nuts. I noticed you've stepped down from your 318is:p

Being honest, I reckon you'd have more fun in a small car, than a bloated 316, that wouldn't pull you out of bed. A 3 door 1.6 ford focus can be a great looking car, cheap to buy, reliable and they look pretty good even now.

The 316 would break your heart, old car, would need work doing no matter what and those engines weren't known to be the greatest in the world!

Advertisement