Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Anyone know how to change the number of rings before the phone goes to voicemail? I've got a HTC Mozart if it helps...

Thats a network thing. Ring you Carrier CC and ask them to increase the ring to the max.

The phone doesnt controll when it goes into voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Still haven't gotten it back. I speak German, but you could use Google translator or something. I asked for a replacement, regretting that now. I paid €11.85 for registered shipping, doubt I'll get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    This lack of MMS is really starting to annoy me. I do remember being able to check them online if your phone doesnt support them, or am I making that up?

Yea I used to do that on my old Nokia. Not sure if you can still do it but I assume you can.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    This lack of MMS is really starting to annoy me. I do remember being able to check them online if your phone doesnt support them, or am I making that up?
    I remember doing that for my uncle. He was on vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone using an Omnia, what's the best sat nav app for UK and Ireland? Need to get one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Can anyone tell me what the windows phone is like for connecting to other PC's and networks? Also what its like for streaming and file compatibility? Are there file browser apps, movie/music codecs? Currently looking to change from an iPhone. Have an android honeycomb tablet and I like the PC-ness of it. This has me thinking an Android phone might be very useful. Would prefer a windows phone as I'm a c# developer and it'd be good to play around with making some apps, but on the other hand I want the best OS/hardware out there. It's funny to talk about simple things like connecting to your network, opening a folder and streaming/downloading movies/music/documents as a "nice feature". My gut instinct is that windows are going to have this thing as restricted (if not more so) as the iPhone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

My gut instinct is that windows are going to have this thing as restricted (if not more so) as the iPhone.

It's pretty much level with the iPhone in terms of restrictions. No file browser, limited streaming (LG phones have a DLNA app, other phones will probably get it when the mango update is released soon). Like the iPhone it's possible to "jailbreak" which can enable some of this stuff, and there's an officially supported jailbreak coming soon, although it's a little unclear what exact functionality that'll enable and existing jailbreak methods and the functionality they enabled will probably be locked out by the mango update.

On the plus side if you're already familiar with C#/silverlight apps are very easy to write with VS2010 (including the express edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

It is not as restricted as iPhone, You can stream Music/Videos directly from the phone via Zune (US Zune Pass a/c required) or Skydrive. The Zune client is very nice compared to iTunes, with the Nokia Partnership (Make the best HW) there will be huge amount of WP devices next year

simi956 wrote: »
    It is not as restricted as iPhone, You can stream Music/Videos directly from the phone via Zune (US Zune Pass a/c required) or Skydrive. The Zune client is very nice compared to iTunes, with the Nokia Partnership (Make the best HW) there will be huge amount of WP devices next year
    Well I suppose that is something, but having to do stuff via zune is complete pants. Does zune have codecs to allow unsuported formats such as mkv and ogg? And can these then be streamed to the phone? I see there is a WHS app which is a better option. I suppose downloading files off the network and internet is impossible?

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    My gut instinct is that windows are going to have this thing as restricted (if not more so) as the iPhone.

It's pretty much level with the iPhone in terms of restrictions. No file browser, limited streaming (LG phones have a DLNA app, other phones will probably get it when the mango update is released soon). Like the iPhone it's possible to "jailbreak" which can enable some of this stuff, and there's an officially supported jailbreak coming soon, although it's a little unclear what exact functionality that'll enable and existing jailbreak methods and the functionality they enabled will probably be locked out by the mango update.

On the plus side if you're already familiar with C#/silverlight apps are very easy to write with VS2010 (including the express edition).
    Not sure about jailbrraking it. Have my iPhone jail broken and quickly became tired of it. Having to wait for cracks before you can update and stability problems for some cracks. And there's no need to jail break an android phone as you already get full functionality. But An official jailbreak sounds interesting, especially if this will open up things for developing apps.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Delete Please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

So the final build of Mango was leaked, and I installed it on my Optimus 7. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Hasn't really been cleaned up like it should have been.

DjFlin wrote: »
    So the final build of Mango was leaked, and I installed it on my Optimus 7. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Hasn't really been cleaned up like it should have been.

its RTM for wp7. Not for the whole package. Remember your running new software on old firmware. Its not optimized properly

Or was there something else?

its RTM for wp7. Not for the whole package. Remember your running new software on old firmware. Its not optimized properly

Something else. haha.

I've pointed it out before. Minor things really, but irritating none the less.
    If you open up the Music Hub and play a song, then hold back, the mutitasking pane will show you all the steps you used to get to the song. So you have the song, the library, and the Hub. Its not just the Music Hub this happens in.

Twitter is still a little lacking in WP7 too. I'd like to be able to veiw my followers, follow/unfollow people etc.

No option to veiw contacts by groups in Chat.

I dont know if this next one is the Apps fault, or the OS's, but Live Tiles are always sketchy as hell, sometimes they wont refresh for days on end.

In other news, I've switched back to using my Irish account. I miss having Artist Images in the Music Hub, and being able to browse the Podcast Marketplace (Though some of you folks seem to be able to get it). I do enjoy being able to use my real Xbox Live account again though. The Games Hub has been greatly improved.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, has only using Mango tried using the Local Scout feature? I can open it, but it never finds any places. I've tried adding stores and such to the database using the "Suggest Changes" option, but I'm not sure if that function actually does anything here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

A great thing about the WP7 when compared to the iphone is the FM radio, especially when travelling.

One issue I am having is my list of radio favourites. On my old phone (N97) the RDS name of the phone would be saved and an alternative name could be applied.

All I seem to get on the wp7 is a list of saved frequencies. Is there any way to name them?

DjFlin wrote: »

Something else. haha.

I've pointed it out before. Minor things really, but irritating none the less.
    If you open up the Music Hub and play a song, then hold back, the mutitasking pane will show you all the steps you used to get to the song. So you have the song, the library, and the Hub. Its not just the Music Hub this happens in.

Twitter is still a little lacking in WP7 too. I'd like to be able to veiw my followers, follow/unfollow people etc.

No option to veiw contacts by groups in Chat.

I dont know if this next one is the Apps fault, or the OS's, but Live Tiles are always sketchy as hell, sometimes they wont refresh for days on end.

In other news, I've switched back to using my Irish account. I miss having Artist Images in the Music Hub, and being able to browse the Podcast Marketplace (Though some of you folks seem to be able to get it). I do enjoy being able to use my real Xbox Live account again though. The Games Hub has been greatly improved.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, has only using Mango tried using the Local Scout feature? I can open it, but it never finds any places. I've tried adding stores and such to the database using the "Suggest Changes" option, but I'm not sure if that function actually does anything here in Ireland.

Think local scout is for us only. No Bing local search here. So until everyone is using we won't really have local search in Ireland I think.

Think local scout is for us only. No Bing local search here. So until everyone is using we won't really have local search in Ireland I think.

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Can someone do me a favour please? I returned a faulty LG Optimus 7 to Price-Guard. They're saying I forgot to include the "network adapters". I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Can someone please list what came from with their LG Optimus 7 from Price-Guard? All I can remember getting is the phone, usb cable, earphones and a few booklets. I received no AC adapter...maybe that's what they mean by a "network adapter"?

VanZan wrote: »
    Can someone do me a favour please? I returned a faulty LG Optimus 7 to Price-Guard. They're saying I forgot to include the "network adapters". I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Can someone please list what came from with their LG Optimus 7 from Price-Guard? All I can remember getting is the phone, usb cable, earphones and a few booklets. I received no AC adapter...maybe that's what they mean by a "network adapter"?
    Have you told them? They said mine will be ready by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Have you told them? They said mine will be ready by the end of the week.
    I'm looking for a refund not a replacement. They're disputing my refund because they say I forgot to include "network adapters". I don't know what the **** they are referring to.

Nope I never got anything like that. I returned it because it was nuts. It either wouldn't turn on and "LG" would be frozen or the "LG" would flash repeatedly. When it did turn on it would turn itself off and restart. I bought a Galaxy Europa and had no such problems. Obviously there's a big difference between the two.

Hope I get my money back. Don't know what's going to happen now he's saying I didn't return the adapter and I'm saying I didn't get it in the first place.

Considering I never got the mains adapter possibly it was never getting enough juice? I used the usb cable with a usb plug adapter and plugged it into the mains though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can someone do me a favour please? If you're a vodafone customer. Go into your (preferably) Samsung Omnia 7, though I suppose the settings will be the same for all win 7 phones, and tell me what the WAP settings are?

My wife's phone isn't work on 3g data, so outside of wifi zones she has no web or email access. It's a business contract through work, but I bought her the phone myself. Vodafone don't support the omnia 7, they don't have any settings info up for the LG which they purport to support, and the wife can't ring up customer service cos it has to go through whoever is responsible for such things in her place of work. -They're not going to ring up vodafone customer care for every little technical issue she has.

Anyway, she managed to sort it for a while herself but now it's not working again, so if someone could tell me what the generic vodafone mobile internet settings are, that'd be mucho appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sound man. Worked a treat.

I feel a bit guilty though. It's like you're the cadbury's milk tray ninja, but I'm taking the credit :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In the samsung section of the marketplace there's a netwrok profile app, this lets you select your network and configures all the settings for you. It doesn't support all networks but it does support vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

VanZan wrote: »
    I'm looking for a refund not a replacement. They're disputing my refund because they say I forgot to include "network adapters". I don't know what the **** they are referring to.
    There would/should have been a charger supplied with the phone. It's a 2 pin european model which requires a shaver plug adapter to work with our 3 pin flat sockets. I wondered why you didn't charge the phone up when you got it and instead immediately connected it to your PC! Now I know!

fat-tony wrote: »
    There would/should have been a charger supplied with the phone. It's a 2 pin european model which requires a shaver plug adapter to work with our 3 pin flat sockets. I wondered why you didn't charge the phone up when you got it and instead immediately connected it to your PC! Now I know!

I just thought they didn't send it because I was in Ireland and we don't (obviously) use 2 pin models. I had bought one of these for my Kindle and used that with the USB cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Hi Guys,
    Any opinions out there on the best RSS reader for WP7? I have used Yomomedia with a Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC HD2). I see its not free on WP7 however. I don't mind paying for it, but I'd be interested in trying others that might be good first.
    Using an Omnia 7 btw.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement