Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Yip you will have to restore your pre-mango backup before you can install the full mango update when it becomes available.

Current plan is still the same as last month: you will still need to return to an MO/OEM supported state (Build 739x) before you will receive the update to move to the final update. This was also covered in the post above

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2011/07/27/wpsdk-beta-2-refresh-for-mango-devs.aspx

That's not to say it wont change before then, just make sure you don't lose your backup or you'll be back to square 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I had to send my LG Optimus 7 back to price gaurd because of random restarting, that quickly became constant restarting. Does anyone know what might have caused this?
    Now my tracking number for An Post isn't working?!?!

Can someone check if it is working if they have ordered/sent something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Now my tracking number for An Post isn't working?!?!

Can someone check if it is working if they have ordered/sent something?

Why are you posting this in a "Windows Phone 7" thread? "Online Buying & Auctions" no?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Still no issues with mine at all. Still use my Desire as it has greater flexibility and apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Hi all, I'm lookiing for a budgeting app that has a version for pc and iPad.

Has anyone tried gps tuner yet? I bought it last week. Big downside is the lack of offline searching. Other than that its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Handy video for those that want to update to Mango Beta 2 easily. Considering doing it myself later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Handy video for those that want to update to Mango Beta 2 easily. Considering doing it myself later tonight.

Love being able to finally see that on my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

This post has been deleted.
    I'm slightly confused by the reference to uninstalling the MFG app:confused: I presumed it was a "secret" LG engineering menu - not something that could be installed or uninstalled. I got one of the German LG Optimus 7 phones for my wife a few weeks ago. She's very happy with it, but I can't get MMS working:( Using the MFG feature I couldn't see any list of network profiles. Any ideas? Can you provide a link to the post on the Vodafone thread, please?

edit - I had a good look at the config.xml file displayed when you select "Current Network Profile". It's configured for Germany (as expected). There are no *.xml files listed in Network Profiles. I'm trying to get this working on Vodafone.

fat-tony wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm slightly confused by the reference to uninstalling the MFG app:confused: I presumed it was a "secret" LG engineering menu - not something that could be installed or uninstalled. I got one of the German LG Optimus 7 phones for my wife a few weeks ago. She's very happy with it, but I can't get MMS working:( Using the MFG feature I couldn't see any list of network profiles. Any ideas? Can you provide a link to the post on the Vodafone thread, please?

edit - I had a good look at the config.xml file displayed when you select "Current Network Profile". It's configured for Germany (as expected). There are no *.xml files listed in Network Profiles. I'm trying to get this working on Vodafone.

Does LG not provide a network profile app from their marketplace to switch network settings?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    None of the Irish providers are on the list, I emailed LG about this but they had no idea what I was talking about :pac:

Lol thats shamefull considering Samsung and HTC provide an app in their marketplace to spare all the hassle :S

Whats the point of having an app that doesnt have all the settings :S

Then LG wonders how come no one wants to buy their phones :S

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I emailed LG support in the UK and they had no idea what I was talking about. It was as if I rang Apple and started talking about Win 7 issues.

I dont think they would be used to those sort of questions. For some reasons OEM's and Carriers cant understand why would you use a phone that was meant for one carrier on a different carrier.

Id say you would have more luck on XDA trying to get this working? :D

Bit of Mango Flavor to welcome on coming mango updates :D

Hoepfully have it next week :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=674781&stc=1&d=1312304440

Does LG not provide a network profile app from their marketplace to switch network settings?
    I downloaded that today. While it appears to run, it does not actually enable MMS. If you list the config.xml file in MFG after running the LG app, there are settings specific to vodafone.ie MMS visible. So it looks like it does make an attempt to set up the phone but the details are not accurate. Now, if I could edit the config.xml file directly, maybe I could complete the job...:)

As regards my confusion about MFG - I discovered afterwards that after you enable it, it then appears in the app list like any other app:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Any signs of a Dublin Bus app yet? ;)

I got my LG Optimus today. Hooked it up to a USB port on my laptop and it started in German. I chose English as a language and since then it just shows the LG symbol and nothing else happens. Have a gotten a dodgy one?

Have you put your SIM card in and connected it to a charger? If you connect it to a USB port on a PC with a data cable it is probably looking for Zune to update it. If you don't have an adapter for the supplied charger I suppose you could leave it connected to the PC for a while to charge and then check out the basic features with a SIM installed. I just did basic configuration and left it on charge for an hour or so before installing the SIM. You will need Zune installed on the PC to install updates and to transfer files etc. unless you are going to get into fancy beta firmware modding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

VanZan wrote: »
    I got my LG Optimus today. Hooked it up to a USB port on my laptop and it started in German. I chose English as a language and since then it just shows the LG symbol and nothing else happens. Have a gotten a dodgy one?

If your phone is still hanging, try a factory reset:

http://www.lg-phones.org/lg-optimus-7-factory-reset.html

Phone is nuts. It shuts off by itself, other times "LG" stays on the screen and nothing else happens. Then other times the "LG" keeps flashing. I *think* I've gotten a dud but as I've never had a smartphone before I'm not quite sure if it's normal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sounds very much like a dud unfortunately. Very much worth trying the hard reset mentioned above though.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Sounds very much like a dud unfortunately. Very much worth trying the hard reset mentioned above though.
    Tried doing the hard reset and "Cold Boot" appeared but still having problems. Christ I'll have to translate all that crap that came with it to figure out how to return it to Germany. :mad:

• Advertisement

Could anyone whos got an LG check to see if they can access the LG App Store?

Since I updated to Mango Beta 2, I havent been able to connect to it. The regular App Store works fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I can't either, though the LG apps still appear in the normal Marketplace, so it's not too bad.

Could I just ask one final thing about my LG Optimus 7 before I send it back and stop annoying you guys? When I first turned it on earlier today connecting it to my laptop it worked for a bit then went on the blink. Later tonight I reopened the box and tried plugging it into the mains. Again it worked for like two minutes before restarting and either displaying or flashing "LG".

I remember years ago when you got a phone you had to charge it for like a day before being able to use it. Could this be what the problem is? I'd check the manual only I have it all packaged up to send back and also it's in German.

I remember years ago when you got a phone you had to charge it for like a day before being able to use it. Could this be what the problem is? I'd check the manual only I have it all packaged up to send back and also it's in German.
    I strongly doubt that makes a difference. :o
    I can't either, though the LG apps still appear in the normal Marketplace, so it's not too bad.

I didnt know that. Not like it matters, there are no worthwhile apps in it :mad:

DjFlin wrote: »
    Could anyone whos got an LG check to see if they can access the LG App Store?

Since I updated to Mango Beta 2, I havent been able to connect to it. The regular App Store works fine though.

When U update to mango U lose access to oem marketplace

Could I just ask one final thing about my LG Optimus 7 before I send it back and stop annoying you guys? When I first turned it on earlier today connecting it to my laptop it worked for a bit then went on the blink. Later tonight I reopened the box and tried plugging it into the mains. Again it worked for like two minutes before restarting and either displaying or flashing "LG".

If the battery is flat it will take a while before the phone responds. Charge it overnight or at least for an hour or two as I suggested. Don't attach it to a PC until you verify that it's working or is a dud. Have you put a SIM in it?

DjFlin wrote: »
    I didnt know that. Not like it matters, there are no worthwhile apps in it :mad:

The Play To app is really nice. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Can anyone tell me if leaving 3G and Data Connection always "on" on my LG Optimus 7 will drain the battery a lot? Will it like double battery consumption or will it only use a small bit more? Does anyone here leave both those settings on always, and if so, how much battery life do you get from the phone, as im getting just about 2 days from every charge every time currently.

Can anyone tell me if leaving 3G and Data Connection always "on" on my LG Optimus 7 will drain the battery a lot? Will it like double battery consumption or will it only use a small bit more? Does anyone here leave both those settings on always, and if so, how much battery life do you get from the phone, as im getting just about 2 days from every charge every time currently.

Turning it off will save some battery, but not a massive amount. Personally, I only turn 3G if I'm using the data connection. The standard connection is fine for calls and texts.

• Advertisement

Okay, this is more to vent than anything else. But if anyone has any good ideas on this, I'd really appreciate them!

I've got a big update for Irish Train Times finished. I sent it off to Microsoft for testing and certification, but it failed because it throws an IsolatedStorageException when the app is resumed.

Here's the really fun part: the app only throws an Exception when I'm not ****ing debugging it! When I'm running it on my phone via Visual Studio 2010 it doesn't happen. It does if I start it from the phone with no debugger. And I've no idea how Microsoft worked out it was an IsolatedStorageException, because it doesn't give me any clue as to how it crashes or where. I only know it's an IsolatedStorageException because that's what's mentioned in the submission report.

Damnit. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement