Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish open tickets

• 25-06-2013 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for two tickets for this. If theres any going would jump on them. Would like with sunday grandstand, but beggars cant be choosers. Will take any.

Thks pm and i'll get right back.

Mods if this breaks any rules, apoliges and remove this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hi, looking for two tickets for this. If theres any going would jump on them. Would like with sunday grandstand, but beggars cant be choosers. Will take any.

Thks pm and i'll get right back.

Mods if this breaks any rules, apoliges and remove this.

First post on golf forum.

Well at least it is only Sunday and a grandstand you are looking for.

Want some Champs too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Want some Champs too ?

Im only asking fix. And if you don't ask you don't get.

There is nothing sinister going on here, just looking for some tickets. I have often helped ppl with soccer tickets on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Want some Champs too ?

Not exactly the way to welcome people to the Forum if so FDP.

OP, I don't think it's a sell out so you should be available from the website or even on the day

Im only asking fix. And if you don't ask you don't get.

There is nothing sinister going on here, just looking for some tickets. I have often helped ppl with soccer tickets on this site.
    Fair play then.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Has there been any update on the Irish Open for 2014? I thought I read somewhere that it was being moved in a week to the 3rd weekend in June? Any confirmation that it is the O Meara in Carton?

I only ask as I think it was around this time last year the tickets went on sale and they made a great Christmas present :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

Think there is an official announcement expected in the next week. By all accounts Fota are trying to get it.

big_drive wrote: »
    Think there is an official announcement expected in the next week. By all accounts Fota are trying to get it.

They should stick to carton for a few years.

I'd expect it to be Carton. The one thing that could swing it for Fota is money. The Chinese who have bought Fota want to get a high profile event there and they have the cash to make it happen while another venue may be restricted in terms of how much cash they can put into it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Really after last year and all the complaints of it being a bit bland?

Hope it's not on Monty course again tbh..

blockic wrote: »
    Really after last year and all the complaints of it being a bit bland?

Hope it's not on Monty course again tbh..

I know the course was bland - but I think the Irish open has been at risk at times - keep it in the one venue - build - the crowds were amazing.

I think this floating around the country is a bad idea , from a marketing and event development perspective. If in Carton again this year , they would have experience , improve it again, get return customers, and return vendors.

That is my angle - I know that is not popular. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I know the course was bland - but I think the Irish open has been at risk at times - keep it in the one venue - build - the crowds were amazing.

I think this floating around the country is a bad idea , from a marketing and event development perspective. If in Carton again this year , they would have experience , improve it again, get return customers, and return vendors.

That is my angle - I know that is not popular. :)

Agreed on not moving it around but I think a different base for it aside from the monty is the way to go. It's not a good course to beem around the world to promote golf in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I'm not sure about Carton. That was one of the worst visual experiences I've seen on the European tour in quite a while, I know the weather didnt help but those pictures of the course did not sell Irish golf.

It was a great event in both Portrush and Killarney, I thought the pictures from the latter we're amazing.

One thing I would like to know is the attendance rates at Carton, it didn't look near full on tv while at Portrush it was a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Disagree, the Monty is a pretty bland course and not great for watching.

fullstop wrote: »
    Disagree, the Monty is a pretty bland course and not great for watching.

Maybe O'Meara then - but the point I'm making is this - Oh where is the Irish Open on this year debate ? - is damaging to it as an event. It is November now - this uncertainty is bad for any major event. If they want to chop and change it ( grand) but at least announce it at wrap up of previous event. To build a successful tournament we need at least a 3 year plan.

I'm of the opinion last year was a great start - was near Dublin - just consolidate the event.

People use the Northern Ireland one as a reference - I think that was a once off and was always going to be massive - their first ever event up there. I think the crowds in Carton were the best in the South I have seen in a while. We can only hope upon hope that Rory sticks with the event. Somehow Tiger (not realistic).

Carton has the infrastructure and scale of grounds - parking , transport access , nice setting, near Dublin.

People will say - it is not about being near Dublin, ( I think it is) - And I'm not an everything in Dublin type of Dub at all. I think this needs to be near Dublin to keep it on safe grounds for a few years. Build it, don't chop and change , announce a new event every December or later. This is high risk and mad stuff in my view.

Even if it moves again to away from the Capital - just stick with a bit of a plan - (longer term)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Maybe O'Meara then - but the point I'm making is this - Oh where is the Irish Open on this year debate ? - is damaging to it as an event. It is November now - this uncertainty is bad for any major event. If they want to chop and change it ( grand) but at least announce it at wrap up of previous event. To build a successful tournament we need at least a 3 year plan.

I'm of the opinion last year was a great start - was near Dublin - just consolidate the event.

People use the Northern Ireland one as a reference - I think that was a once off and was always going to be massive - their first ever event up there. I think the crowds in Carton were the best in the South I have seen in a while. We can only hope upon hope that Rory sticks with the event. Somehow Tiger (not realistic).

Carton has the infrastructure and scale of grounds - parking , transport access , nice setting, near Dublin.

People will say - it is not about being near Dublin, ( I think it is) - And I'm not an everything in Dublin type of Dub at all. I think this needs to be near Dublin to keep it on safe grounds for a few years. Build it, don't chop and change , announce a new event every December or later. This is high risk and mad stuff in my view.

Even if it moves again to away from the Capital - just stick with a bit of a plan - (longer term)

I have to disagree with this. All you have done is mention the tournament been near Dublin. There were massive crowds at Portrush. There were massive crowds at Killarney both years (especially year 1). I think the switching of the tournament venue each year is exactly what the event needs. I went to all of the above venues. The one place I wouldnt go back to is Carton House. People can make a weekend of it at any course think that if we get a big sponsor and get the event to Fota then jump at it. If the money is big, the players will come and the crowds will follow.

I agree that stability may be required in having a fixed date but does it really matter that much that we need to know the venue in November?? I doubt it.

Poteen points well made.

The people who will make a weekend of it, are die hard golf people, as you are from your post. A big event needs more than the die hard golf fans - sponsor want a wider based community event. A National event. As golf fans , we tend to look at it as a pure golf event.

An example -

Last year I went with a nephew and a work colleague - they are not real golf people. They had a great day was very easy to get in and out of the event. I've been to Irish Opens with single road access and it is not very customer friendly. Portmarnock , Baltray. These 2 for example will go back next year no doubt - they will bring people. More people from Kildare and Maynooth area will see the event, the commercial potential , they will see it grow. An example would be a sponsorship from an INTEL or other major company in the area. Also, major business people in the area will develop ideas around the event. Staffing, product etc.

Yes all this can happen in Cork - I don't care where it is , once they grow the event - let it grow before you throw it around the country.

I Know where the All Ireland is next year - I know the date
    I Know where the Electric Picnic is next year - I know the date

It would be a major competitive edge if a long term plan was in place. I guarantee it is harder to get a major company to invest in an event without a long term plan.

Whilst they may have lost a few golf fans due to the poor course ( I agree a poor course) - they look like they are throwing away the community and word of mouth in the Dublin / Kildare area that worked well last year.

I just want to see the event being successful - I think we need a longer term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Poteen points well made.

The people who will make a weekend of it, are die hard golf people, as you are from your post. A big event needs more than the die hard golf fans - sponsor want a wider based community event. A National event. As golf fans , we tend to look at it as a pure golf event.

An example -

Last year I went with a nephew and a work colleague - they are not real golf people. They had a great day was very easy to get in and out of the event. I've been to Irish Opens with single road access and it is not very customer friendly. Portmarnock , Baltray. These 2 for example will go back next year no doubt - they will bring people. More people from Kildare and Maynooth area will see the event, the commercial potential , they will see it grow. An example would be a sponsorship from an INTEL or other major company in the area. Also, major business people in the area will develop ideas around the event. Staffing, product etc.

Yes all this can happen in Cork - I don't care where it is , once they grow the event - let it grow before you throw it around the country.

I Know where the All Ireland is next year - I know the date
    I Know where the Electric Picnic is next year - I know the date

It would be a major competitive edge if a long term plan was in place. I guarantee it is harder to get a major company to invest in an event without a long term plan.

Whilst they may have lost a few golf fans due to the poor course ( I agree a poor course) - they look like they are throwing away the community and word of mouth in the Dublin / Kildare area that worked well last year.

I just want to see the event being successful - I think we need a longer term plan.

I think we broadly agree on most things so. I always think that we should try play The Irish Open on a links course and especially now in 2014 when the event is said to be in June and also offers qualification prospects for The British Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As a resident of North Kildare , I thought last year's event was great !

I went along on the Sunday , on the spur of the moment , the missus dropped me at the gate and picked me up after , no traffic no hassle great access

The 3 towns ( Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth ) all received some money , I think from the Irish Tourist Board , and spent it welcoming the visitors , my town ( Celbridge ) for example had a street fest on the Thursday , closed the main st and had a big party , it was great fun and well attended.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    As a resident of North Kildare , I thought last year's event was great !

I went along on the Sunday , on the spur of the moment , the missus dropped me at the gate and picked me up after , no traffic no hassle great access

The 3 towns ( Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth ) all received some money , I think from the Irish Tourist Board , and spent it welcoming the visitors , my town ( Celbridge ) for example had a street fest on the Thursday , closed the main st and had a big party , it was great fun and well attended.
    Great stuff.

I can safely say if it was on next year there , you would be back and may even go with someone.

Anyway. I think we all just want it to do well.
    Great good will there. A sponsor should see that.

I am a big fan of links. But there are problems with entry and space at many of them. Very few are near big cities . Airport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I went to my first Irish Open last year at Carton House and thought it was great. Would definitely go back there again but to be honest probably wont if it's in Cork or Kerry (or anywhere that sort of distance away).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I went to my first Irish Open last year at Carton House and thought it was great. Would definitely go back there again but to be honest probably wont if it's in Cork or Kerry (or anywhere that sort of distance away).

I think if they are looking to promote tourism and indeed golf tourism in Ireland then they cant look past staging it in Killarney every year. Wonderful setting and they have the scope to improve the course in terms of difficulty so it doesnt get torn to pieces by the worlds best.

I think there's nothing worse than seeing a -24 as the leader

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Agree with you. Maybe a 4 or 5 course rotation policy like the Open. Pick a course in different parts of the country that has the capacity to hold such an event, near a major city and airport etc. Would provide variety yet certainty.

There's a few great links courses but the problem would be the lack of suitable infrastructure. Also some might not be lengthened or made hard enough to deal with the pros

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

No decision yet on 2014 venue??

"Meanwhile the European Tour confirmed the full 2014 Race to Dubai schedule will be announced on Sunday morning but with ‘TBC’ appearing next to the June 19 start for the Irish Open.

Keith Waters, Director of International Policy indicated the Tour is still looking to finalise a venue. However it seems the choice of venue is either the O’Meara Course at Carton House or Fota Island which hosted the 2001 and 2002 Murphys Irish Open."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/g-mac-staying-cool-as-race-to-dubai-heats-up-249729.html

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

No decision yet on 2014 venue??

"Meanwhile the European Tour confirmed the full 2014 Race to Dubai schedule will be announced on Sunday morning but with ‘TBC’ appearing next to the June 19 start for the Irish Open.

Keith Waters, Director of International Policy indicated the Tour is still looking to finalise a venue. However it seems the choice of venue is either the O’Meara Course at Carton House or Fota Island which hosted the 2001 and 2002 Murphys Irish Open."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/g-mac-staying-cool-as-race-to-dubai-heats-up-249729.html

Oh fingers crossed for Carton....purely from a selfish reason. I can get there in an hour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I think the Monty course wouldn't be so bland if they grew the rough.

It's designed as an inland-links and it is supposed to be tight. However, all they seem to do is cut down the rough and the challenge goes out of it.

So, I agree with Fix, just keep it at the Monty and grow that grass up!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Not sure if Fota would have the required teeth for the pros?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the Monty course wouldn't be so bland if they grew the rough.

It's designed as an inland-links and it is supposed to be tight. However, all they seem to do is cut down the rough and the challenge goes out of it.

So, I agree with Fix, just keep it at the Monty and grow that grass up!

Is it not planned to be on the O'Meara?
    I was under the impression that Carton had it for 2 years and it was supposed to be played on O'Meara for both of those years.
    The 2 new holes weren't ready this year but they're open now.

OM would look way better on the TV than Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Would like to see it at Fota next year, I believe Portrush are trying hard to get the event back in 2015.

• Advertisement
Advertisement