Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noisy Brakes when Braking

Options
  • 06-09-2014 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all :

Was in very steep hill area today going down hill.

The brakes have now started making loud grinding squealing noises when I apply the brakes.

And ideas? Have the brake pads gone? Going? Will they need immediate attention? I am 120 miles from home at moment. If it's brake pads will they need immediate attention to avoid further possible damage or is 120 miles journey possible and then get them fixed?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Assuming that the pads are not relatively new then you can safely assume that the pads are worn and the rivets on the pads are scraping against the brake discs, this causes a squealing noise as you describe, the pads need to be replaced but they should be OK until you get to a garage on Monday, just apply the brakes gently until then.

When were they last replaced as new pads will also squeal for a while until the protective coating wears off.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thank you very much Stanford. I have the car serviced pretty regular and it's not long though the NCT. I could get the car serviced here but in a bit of a pickle because I'm up the north and garages obviously shut tomorrow and not sure if I could even get it serviced Monday without having to pay a premium.

On the up side, the Glens of Antrim are very beautiful, but they play havoc with the brakes!

Sounds like the pads at near the end of their useful life as you are putting them under more pressure than usual if you are braking going downhill.......get them changed next week if you can as if you leave them too long they will score or mark the break discs and thats an expensive job replacing those, otherwise take it easy but do get them changed next week.

Good luck in the Glens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks again Stanford. Any ideas as the approximate cost that a good garage might charge to have the pads replaced, presuming no other damage? Just in case I am able to get them done up here. I haven't got a clue about these things.

PS: boards absolutely rocks in times like these. Your advice is very much appreciated.

If you find one of those tyre change places like Advance Tyres they should be able to change the pads for about €40 in a jiffy but I don't know if you'll find one open tomorrow, there is no need to incur the expense of going to a garage: on the basis that you will be back in the South on Monday just pop into one of those tyre change/exhaust chain garages and look helpless!! Its a fast and easy job, don't stress too much about it, you will be fine until you get home on Monday

• Advertisement
Advertisement