Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Torrent users beware

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

pete wrote:
    I trust i'm not the only one that remembers the old days?

hometaping2.jpg

And surprise surprise, it didn't.

home_taping.jpg

Heh,heh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I remember the good old days before a lame 12 year old downloading torrents was considered elite. I remember the 0day ftp sites and the fxp boards. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Just removed the name of the groups mentioned, it's slightly bending the rules, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What can IRMA actually do? Are ISPs even allowed disclose information to them or is that in violation of the Data Protection Act? And even then, do ISPs log all bittorrent traffic, and what if you use private trackers, how can IRMA trace what gets sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thanks to all this furore I decided to go and get the new peer guardian and I must say this version is a good bit better then the old one - yes it crashed and screwed up my PC but once I got it up and running it's actually quite stable (crosses fingers) and it also blocks trojans and ads and other nasty stuff......nice stuff. It also doesn't seem to be overheating my PC any more :) Recommended!

• Advertisement

Thanks to all this furore I decided to go and get the new peer guardian and I must say this version is a good bit better then the old one - yes it crashed and screwed up my PC but once I got it up and running it's actually quite stable (crosses fingers) and it also blocks trojans and ads and other nasty stuff......nice stuff. It also doesn't seem to be overheating my PC any more :) Recommended!

Got a link?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OK i only have broadband the past month or so.
    Im new to all this torrent talk.
    Ill be honest it has me a wee bit worried,since i got bb i admit to dloading 2 divX format movies about 700 mb each,the rest has been game patches and mods.
    This kind of talk i must say has given me a reason to decide to stay away from the torrent site i have just become a member of.
    Am i over-reacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

<Rev. Lovejoy>short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but</Rev. Lovejoy>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

digitaldr wrote:
    Has anyone actually tried Freenet?

I've run a Freenet server for a number of years now.

Dcully wrote:
    OK i only have broadband the past month or so.
    Im new to all this torrent talk.
    Ill be honest it has me a wee bit worried,since i got bb i admit to dloading 2 divX format movies about 700 mb each,the rest has been game patches and mods.
    This kind of talk i must say has given me a reason to decide to stay away from the torrent site i have just become a member of.
    Am i over-reacting?

The IRMA only covers MUSIC and really only the sharing of RIAA owned music is what they're aiming at. So far videos aren't affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

IRMA will be suing Kazaa, Edonkey, Gnutella and WinMX users, just like the BPI (British Phonographic Industry). The ISP's in the UK did not put up much of a fight ,so expect exactly the same here.

If you do get caught expect a demand for several thousand Euro or the threat of a court appearance. You will need to wipe your hard disk and dispose of any burned copies of cd's you don't legally own to IRMA's satisfaction.

Will the ISP's advise their customers that IRMA have requested their specific details?
    Going to court may not be a bad idea - if IRMA can't produce a hard disk or cd-rom seized from you in court with the offending material.

Was equipment seized from you in a lawful manner? (Judge Curtin defence)
    Are the courts going to accept the ISPs logs as the sole basis of proof?
    Will the courts even understand the concept of IP addresses, subnet masks, frames and packets, UDP and TCP?
    How accurate are the ISP's logs?
    How often do you change the hash codes on your MP3 files?
    Can IRMA prove that the material in question is copyrighted (remember its 50 years in Europe, so its legal to share some of the early Elvis Presley stuff and public domain material)
    If you share personal data (e.g. your C.V.) and copyrighted material at the same time this can be used against you as well. Hint: Check what you are sharing.
    There are loads of other possible defences as well.

If the Gardaí don't seize your equipment I reckon you can mount a credible defense and same yourself a few thousand Euro.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Infini wrote:
    Got a link?
    First link in Google when you type in Peer Guardian :: http://www.methlabs.org/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...or, you could just stop illegally sharing music.

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...or, you could just stop illegally sharing music.

Or boycott music from RIAA record labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

you cany pay for better privileges on some file sharing programs!! I would imagine these are the people who would be hit first?

As far as i know Paying with your credit card stands up in court as strong enough evidence!!

It wudnt be in a short enough time frame to claim it was stolen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

mp3.jpg

It hasn't really happened yet, but P2P will kill off CD sales. Just as CD killed off cassettes, and cassettes killed off vinyl. That's not a bad thing, it's a natural evolutionary process. At the moment, Artists aren't making any money off of P2P. This is a bad thing, and those to blame for this are the record companies. It's impossible for them to stop P2P, all their attempts so far have led to better P2P systems. They will eventually have to realise this, and work out a way so that people are properly compensated. Their current online attempts are pretty pathethic. They tried to transfer their existing model over and it's not working nearly as well as it should. In the few years that it has been running, iTunes has made about $250m iirc. But there are over a billion songs traded on P2P networks every month. If they worked on getting a cut of this, even just 1c per song, then everybody is happy. Artists get their money, no overheard costs for the record companies other than those associated with collecting money from users, users can pretty much afford to download as much music as they like.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MrPinK wrote:
    It hasn't really happened yet, but P2P will kill off CD sales. Just as CD killed off cassettes, and cassettes killed off vinyl. That's not a bad thing, it's a natural evolutionary process. At the moment, Artists aren't making any money off of P2P. This is a bad thing, and those to blame for this are the record companies. It's impossible for them to stop P2P, all their attempts so far have led to better P2P systems. They will eventually have to realise this, and work out a way so that people are properly compensated. Their current online attempts are pretty pathethic. They tried to transfer their existing model over and it's not working nearly as well as it should. In the few years that it has been running, iTunes has made about $250m iirc. But there are over a billion songs traded on P2P networks every month. If they worked on getting a cut of this, even just 1c per song, then everybody is happy. Artists get their money, no overheard costs for the record companies other than those associated with collecting money from users, users can pretty much afford to download as much music as they like.
    It seems to me you're mixing two completely separate issues. The point that new technologies tend to eliminate older ones is correct. The reason for this is that the new technologies tend to deliver specific benefits that supercede the features of the old. CDs offered vastly superior sound quality to cassettes - that's why they superceded them.

Online delivery of music doesn't have the same overwhelming set of distinct advantages. The sound quality tends to be somewhat lower (if not always noticeably so to the casual listener), and there's no value-add like inlay booklets, multimedia content etc. There's one distinct advantage to the P2P delivery mechanism: it's free.

The growth of P2P is not a part of the natural evolution of delivery mechanisms; it simply shows that people want something for nothing. Maybe when commercial music download services reduce their costs, P2P will fizzle out. Somehow, I doubt it.

MrPinK wrote:
    mp3.jpg

LOL this one's quite funny too. :)

First link in Google when you type in Peer Guardian :: http://www.methlabs.org/

Nice. It's got anti-ad and anti-spyware features too. Great find. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

oscarBravo wrote:
    The sound quality tends to be somewhat lower (if not always noticeably so to the casual listener), and there's no value-add like inlay booklets, multimedia content
    A feature of the current setup alright, but there's no reason it would have to be if done right. Record companies could release official torrents with lossless format files, pdf booklets, multimedia content.
    The growth of P2P is not a part of the natural evolution of delivery mechanisms; it simply shows that people want something for nothing.
    Even if it wasn't free, getting the content deliveried directly over the interent without any physical medium was always going to be the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

So at the heart of it, if I use Shareaza to download American TV programs (like I am now, via torrents) am I screwed? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

So at the heart of it, if I use Shareaza to download American TV programs (like I am now, via torrents) am I screwed? :(

Completely, totally, utterly, deeply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're right of course Paul, but I think we might see a move towards downloading-as-the-norm quicker than you think. First of all there's the rapidly increasing download speeds, which we're just starting to see here in Ireland, as a shadow of what's happening elsewhere in the world. Although the major speed increases are happening in big urban areas - and they are major increases, as you know - that's where most of the music-buying public probably live anyway, and let's be honest, that's where most of the people are. The faster those connections get, the closer to perfect digital copies we get without being a burden on our connections.

Now the phrase "perfect digital copies" is one that strikes fear into the label's hearts (or it would if they had any), but as you've argued yourself in our previous discussion, nothing can stop physics. Connections will get faster as scientists push the limits of technology, and people have already proven that they want faster connections. If people want, ISPs will deliver, and the labels on their own - no matter how powerful - aren't going to be able to stop that. This means that, in time, people are going to download music - perfect digital copies of music - and the label's will have but two choices: Piss or get off the pot.

Right now, they're trying to do both, and the metaphor covers this nicely too: They're pissing all over themselves with everything they try. Every DRM solution they've come up with has been broken, or has broken people's computers. Every downloader they've sued has created ten more. Every Wilco they screw with pushes another ten bands to the indies. And it's this last screwup that's most likely to kill them: the indies know that CDs are becoming the exception; the indies know that the big money for artists is in performance, and they aren't fighting that; the indies know about the long tail, and are already leveraging it.

Most importantly the indies know that the distribution networks that define big labels are going to be on the way out in five years, and will be dead in ten. By then the minority of people that still want to buy CDs will be ordering them from terminals in their local supermarket, and having the entire thing delivered over the Internet, and produced and printed right in front of their eyes. The majority will be happy with their electronic copies of artwork and inserts, and even if they aren't, there's nothing stopping those self-same machines taking their downloaded copy and swapping it for the "real thing"; for a fee of course.

On price, well, perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I believe that most people ultimately want to be honest. So I believe that if the prices were reasonable and no barriers are put in the way of my using my music fairly, the majority of people will take the honest route.

adam

Not yet, the IRMA only represents the music industry here and so far the only lawsuits in other countries have mostly been against BT tracker operators, music and movie filesharers. Have heard nothing so far on TV shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mr. Pink wrote:
    A feature of the current setup alright, but there's no reason it would have to be if done right. Record companies could release official torrents with lossless format files, pdf booklets, multimedia content.

Which would work, to a point. Afterall, BT trackers can pick and choose what IPs they want to allow to download, so if someone was issued a digital reciept on purchase, they could use this access the files. The tracker will know when the entire file has been downloaded, so the download code embedded in the reciept can be retired at that point. If handled properly, a keychain of reciepts can be kept on a users machine if they need to prove purchase for redownload, and the tracker can be set to require manual validation for redownloading, so that the system can't(!!) be abused.

The only problem here is how you would sign a reciept to an individual, and not a machine, which is the root of all modern DRM issues...

dahamsta wrote:
    On price, well, perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I believe that most people ultimately want to be honest. So I believe that if the prices were reasonable and no barriers are put in the way of my using my music fairly, the majority of people will take the honest route.

True I'd be happy to pay for music (if they even sold what i'm interested in here) but tbh unless they 1) get rid of the restrictive and pain in the arse DRM and 2) people don't need a credit card to pay for music they're just wasting their time. They can't beat the P2P networks so if they wan't to get anywhere they'll either have to work with them or offer something that the p2p networks can't (ie. something physical).

The only problem here is how you would sign a reciept to an individual, and not a machine, which is the root of all modern DRM issues...

And how would they solve the problem if say a persons machine died (ie.HD failure). If DRM is tied to a machine then it can't be backed up properly to another system in the case of system failure. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Infini wrote:
    And how would they solve the problem if say a persons machine died (ie.HD failure). If DRM is tied to a machine then it can't be backed up properly to another system in the case of system failure. :(
    Therein lies the enigma... The only way I could see that it could be would be to require the user to register all devices that the file would work on. But of course, how many people are willing to do that? Its hard enough to get people to register one machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

oscarBravo wrote:
    What makes you think it's (allofmp3)illegal?

Apparently it operates under Russian copyright law and therefore they pay tiny royalties. I think it says somewhere on their that they can't comment on the legality of downloading from outside Russia - I don't know if it has been ever tested in the courts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

U2 and Paddy Casey? Good thing I listen to foreign music. :cool:

Advertisement