Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i hopefull master hand as playable character

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Another character with only Wii U screens. Still no idea if that's significant.

The more I see it the more I think it's just that the 3DS version is less developed and just taking more time to do models/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PentiKo

Trying to get the Irish Smash Community going if anyone is interested join the group below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1397757767105208/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Moar news

Subspace Emissary deconfirmed, instead they're trying to make bad-ass character intro trailers on par with the Villager/Megaman/Trainer ones for all chars.

"Extra mode" on 3DS (no details) as a compliment to standard versus play

"Character customisation" came up again. I'm fine with you giving us Gems Nintendo, but don't make it like tripping, let us turn it off if we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Sakurai wrote:
    "Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

And that is why we can't have nice things. Thanks a lot, Internet.

• Advertisement

And that is why we can't have nice things. Thanks a lot, Internet.

To be fair, I think this is more of Nintendo being stubborn and out of touch with modern realities.

Why should they care that people might consume their "movie", in a way that they enjoy more? I thought the MK9 story mode was awesome, but I certainly didn't PLAY it.

I like the idea of awesome character trailers though.
    Although a lot of the subspace emissary fmvs were fantastic, the story itself was messy and nonsensical, and the actual game mode got old pretty quickly.

It was also weird in the sense that Subspace Emissary had a seperate "balance" than the multiplayer modes. Jumps and attacks had different properties since it was mostly about platforming and killing minions as opposed to other players. For example Meta Knight falls like a rock between wing flaps so he can't bypass all the hard jumps. They choose to balance him THERE(?!?!).

If they spend less time balancing a dedicated story mode, and more (any?) time balancing the multiplayer this time, I'll be way happier.

It does kind of give strength to their anti-LetsPlay crusade though. The MK9 story mode was amazing, as was the Injustice story mode, and I personally feel that it should be the industry standard for FG story modes, but would devs really go to the trouble of making something so intricate if it's just gonna be uploaded to YouTube?

Ultimately though, I would be happier with solid gameplay if I had to choose between the two.

Either way, the character trailers they've released so far, as well as the ones for Sonic and Snake and Brawl, were really creative and well-made, so I'd be happy to see more of those.

but would devs really go to the trouble of making something so intricate if it's just gonna be uploaded to YouTube?

What though, is the downside of this?

What though, is the downside of this?

Many would disagree, but story mode in fighting games is a little too neglected. Fighting games by nature already have a skill-based entry barrier, where newcomers have to learn a significant amount about how to play before they can start succeeding, be it against the CPU or other players, and that often serves as a obstacle to enjoying the game, and discourages people from playing and buying other games in the genre.

Couple that with the fact that so little effort is made to establish why the characters are all there fighting each other and what their motivations are - you know, basic elements for any other one-player campaign - and you have even less reason to be attached to the game. Arcade mode + character endings is just archaic at this point, and doesn't really cut it.

A lot of players don't care at all about this aspect, and that's absolutely fine. But that doesn't mean it should be ignored entirely.

Mind you, this is just a general rant about fighting games on the whole. Subspace Emissary was fun, but as you said, a little ridiculous. At the end of the day, Smash is a crossover of a load of already well-established characters, and is about a child playing with his toys - that's just about all the story it needs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Many would disagree, but story mode in fighting games is a little too neglected. Fighting games by nature already have a skill-based entry barrier, where newcomers have to learn a significant amount about how to play before they can start succeeding, be it against the CPU or other players, and that often serves as a obstacle to enjoying the game, and discourages people from playing and buying other games in the genre.

Couple that with the fact that so little effort is made to establish why the characters are all there fighting each other and what their motivations are - you know, basic elements for any other one-player campaign - and you have even less reason to be attached to the game. Arcade mode + character endings is just archaic at this point, and doesn't really cut it.

A lot of players don't care at all about this aspect, and that's absolutely fine. But that doesn't mean it should be ignored entirely.

Mind you, this is just a general rant about fighting games on the whole. Subspace Emissary was fun, but as you said, a little ridiculous. At the end of the day, Smash is a crossover of a load of already well-established characters, and is about a child playing with his toys - that's just about all the story it needs.

That's not an answer to what he asked. He asked what's the downside to a game's story mode appearing on youtube- circumstantial evidence so far suggests that a games popularity on youtube leads to additional sales, not less.

• Advertisement

That's not an answer to what he asked. He asked what's the downside to a game's story mode appearing on youtube- circumstantial evidence so far suggests that a games popularity on youtube leads to additional sales, not less.

Well, now I just feel silly.

Yes, I was thinking that people wouldn't buy the game for a story when they can just watch it on YouTube, and the fact that Sakurai openly stated that as a reason for not going with a story mode this time.

But if evidence shows that it actually improves sales, than I can just hope that other devs don't subscribe to Sakurai's philosophy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

God forbid people enjoy what you've created Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

But if evidence shows that it actually improves sales, than I can just hope that other devs don't subscribe to Sakurai's philosophy,

No other dev subscribes to his philosophy since no other dev actively hates the people that play their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

This is horrible, really. It's like they know their majority market is now the bazillions of parents and grannies that bought a Wii for Wii Sports bowling.

"It's fine, we can act like stuck up retards now and still have good sales because hardly any of our consumers will notice for it to matter."

I had to think about it for a while. At first I was sad that they got rid of a campaign, then I realised Subspace was ultimately crap and dedicated character cutscenes would be awesome.

But seriously, is it too much to get a proper script writer, and make a GOOD campaign story with bitchin' cutscenes with all these established characters? You have the resources for this, Nintendo. Stop saying **** like "oooh we can't have as many characters as last time because some have to go on the 3DS and some gotta go on the Wii U".

The only thing they've used the internet for is to preemptively lower everyone's expectations with excuses and explanations on why they're not going to put as much effort into their games as they could/should. It's getting old fast.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, now I just feel silly.

Yes, I was thinking that people wouldn't buy the game for a story when they can just watch it on YouTube, and the fact that Sakurai openly stated that as a reason for not going with a story mode this time.

Well, the intuitive thing is to think the way you do. But speaking as someone who gets quite a few messages asking how to pick up or play game x or y because they're new and they saw something they like on youtube, there's a definite other side to it. I also get messages asking if I've played FG XYZ because people like my opinions and wonder if it's for them. This is from a tiny channel. Imagine how many people bought MK, for example, on watching max play through who were before MvC3 fans.

I actually do understand his point, to a degree- I think lets players should give a couple of weeks before spoiling narrative heavy games like RPGs so the devs can give the gaming public the experience they wanted to deliver- and as I said, the evidence is only circumstantial so far- but by and large I think the culture of effectively free promotion for a small bit of ad revenue is a good deal for game devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

To be honest, if they focus the time/space allocation on more characters/more balencing/better items/gameplay, then good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Nintendo have always been a heavy handed, anti consumer, smiling face while they stab you in the back, great bunch of lads.

Par for the course.

(also, I'm sure its just cheapness on their part)

p.s. Yu Suzuki is better than Miyamoto

p.p.s Wind Waker is a dose.

Petition Started To Make Reggie A Playable Character In Upcoming Smash Bros. Title
    We've seen some odd online petitions of late, but this new one really takes the biscuit — it's to get Nintendo of America COO Reggie Fils-Aime into the forthcoming Smash Bros. title on Wii U and 3DS.

The petition — which can be viewed here — seems absurd, but it is based on comments previously made by Fils-Aime himself. When he recently appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon answering questions from Twitter, he was asked if he would be appearing as a playable character in the upcoming brawler.

He replied:

"You have to ask that to Mr. Sakurai. He's the producer of the game, it's his game. But if he wants, my body is ready."

My gut reaction was to reject this outright, but apparently I'm in the minority.

I have no reason to like NOA or Reggie.

He heard about the "My body is ready" meme and quoted it?
    Good for him. Still don't care, still don't like NOA.

More ridiculous/obscure characters like Trainer and Villager please.

I would also settle for one of the nightmarefuel interpretations of Miyamoto

k-bigpic.jpg

Or my favourite:

22LiM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

160,000 Consoles in 3 months.

Worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/16/ex-nintendo-marketing-expert-says-super-smash-bros-melee-at-evo-is-a-dangerous-brand/

Everyone kind of knew this is probably the reason Nintendo pulled the plug on EVO, but still interesting to hear it from a guy who used to work for Nintendo.

Hey Guys,

If anyone is interested in playing Smash we have set up a Dublin group.

We also have an upcoming tournament in September too!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

PentiKo wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

If anyone is interested in playing Smash we have set up a Dublin group.

We also have an upcoming tournament in September too!

Cheers!

Will there be Brawl also?

Nutrient wrote: »
    Will there be Brawl also?

There actually probably will be!

Your bluff has been called Nutrient, you gotta show up now and enter Brawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

you gotta show up now and enter Brawl!

Fantastic, I can't wait!

Yeah I'll be hosting a brawl tournament too! :D

Tournaments being played:
    Melee 1v1
    Brawl 1v1
    Melee 2v2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Wii Fit Trainer finally confirmed for 3DS: smash_3ds_008_thumb1.jpg

Am I allowed to be proud of a scene I have nothing to do with?

Ah screw it, G'wan the Socal Melee!
    @jchensor: RT @SuperDojo: Smash Bros Players are the total opposite of the FGC. not only are they on time, i opened 30 mins early and we have 50+ peop…

@jchensor: RT @SuperDojo: Final Tally for today's Smash Bros Melee Tourneys : Teams : 24 Singles : 90 !?!?!?! Live Stream : http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

@jchensor: The last two RTs echo what I said at the PAX Prime panel: Smash community is perfect example of how "non-Capcom" game communities should be.

@AlexValleSF4: It's officially nuts to butts down here at Super Smash Sundays! Almost 100 players in the house! #SSS http://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/376823910458613760/photo/1

@AlexValleSF4: Not taking credit for building the SoCal Melee scene. Just making sure they have a frequent place to level up at with big bro @SuperDojo :)

@jchensor: To be fair, the Smash community still has the old school mentality because Melee had no online play. So traveling is in their blood.

@AlexValleSF4: FGC: Smash Melee outlasted the CvS2 scene and both games were released around 2001. CvS2 also had online community back in xlive1 days..

@AlexValleSF4: I love many FGs but I'm very impressed by the SoCal Smash Melee community so far. On time, come in numbers, lil to 0 complaints, good comp.

• Advertisement

Toon Link confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

main.png

It's Wind Waker Link, so there'll be no mind-f*cks when playing him on the Spirit Tracks 3DS stage.

Advertisement