Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

• 15-10-2011 1:03pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,787 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The new home for off-topic discussion, or cycling related points not worthy of their own thread

For anyone interested, the old Broomwagon is here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Seamus,

Those mudguards can be fitted much better to give you better coverage from spray. There's room to slide the stay through the little fittings that attach to the guard before you tighten them and then cut down the stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,787 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

See what I did then?

It's been very lonely in here for the past couple of hours, so it's nice to see a few familiar faces paying a visit

Anyway - just to keep on topic - that was never a free-kick - we woz robbed of 2 points ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Broomwagon is dead
    Long live Dr Ferrari's Camper Van

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The ref blew the full time whistle 3 posts early!
    He also got the last post as I predicted.;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyway - just to keep on topic - that was never a free-kick - we woz robbed of 2 points ....

Robbed ! Your keeper was man of the match ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Broomwagon is dead
    Long live Dr Ferrari's Camper Van

The Broomwagon shall live long in the memory.
    Dr Ferrari's Camper Van is a silly name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Pppft! Mods can't even count around here!!

/peace out :P and have fun in your new wagon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Given it's name, I don't think this thread should be a sticky or even consistently inside the Cycling forum.

I think it should move around from forum to forum so as to be hard to find mobile and available on the spot to cater for varied training needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good idea, we should also sign off all posts with initials that won't ever possible be linked to us.

- D.V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Or we could each have a Camper Van nickname. Mine would be Beethoven.

Take the skinheads bowling.

Congrats to anyone who got that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chakattack wrote: »
    Seamus,

Those mudguards can be fitted much better to give you better coverage from spray. There's room to slide the stay through the little fittings that attach to the guard before you tighten them and then cut down the stay.
    Didn't think of cutting the stays actually.
    The problem with the front one is that as it is, there's only a couple of mm clearance between the mudguard and the V-brake cable (you can see this in the picture). So if I drop the rear of the guard, the angle of the nose causes it to rub off the brake cable. I suspect the problem is the huge clearance between the tyre and fork crown. I'll need to get some kind of small plate which attaches to both fork and guard and lets me drop the hangar/bridge of the mudguard down closer to the wheel.

Cutting the stays might work for making the rear guard neater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Or we could each have a Camper Van nickname. Mine would be Beethoven.

Take the skinheads bowling.

Congrats to anyone who got that one ;)

It's a Cracker!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

There is a slight oddness on here this evening I think (the whole forum, not just the SADDLE BAG thread as I will always call from now on) so I'm off to watch Die hard 2, might be back after some wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

seamus wrote: »
    Didn't think of cutting the stays actually.
    The problem with the front one is that as it is, there's only a couple of mm clearance between the mudguard and the V-brake cable (you can see this in the picture). So if I drop the rear of the guard, the angle of the nose causes it to rub off the brake cable. I suspect the problem is the huge clearance between the tyre and fork crown. I'll need to get some kind of small plate which attaches to both fork and guard and lets me drop the hangar/bridge of the mudguard down closer to the wheel.

Cutting the stays might work for making the rear guard neater though.

I had the same problem for a while, thought it was down to frame size until it dawned on me one day that I could get the guards much tighter. :D

They are very finnicky but persevere and you can find a good "sweet spot"

215125_1988212071243_1421573097_32223612_45773_n.jpg Dublin bus you could learn from this.

Dublin Bus already know how to fit into that gap!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Anyone have any advice on how derailleurs fare on African dirt roads? Is a rolhoff hub going to perform noticably better than a deore front and rear mech tied to some bar-end shifters?

Anyone have any advice on hour derailleurs fare on African dirt roads? Is a rolhoff hub going to perform noticably better than a deore front and rear mech tied to some bar-end shifters?

I would think yes, IGH plus chain case equals flawless(ish)

Maybe I should have phrased that differently, is the IGH going to perform well enough to merit the cost of buying it? Thereby pretty much doubling the cost of the trip.

• Advertisement

Probably not, I'm sure the deraileur set up would work just fine, but if you're going to continue to use it after the trip then the Rohloff may be a good investment, some people don't seem to like them, my friend is a service agent for them but thinks they're pants, they can be troublesome at the start so I wouldn't buy one and head off on a tour straight away, but after the run in period and some adjustments they work super IMHO, a close second to S.A. but with a wider ratio.

That was an epic game of rugby, maybe the best I've ever seen:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Holyboy wrote: »
    I would think yes, IGH plus chain case equals flawless(ish)

(I'm sure you know this, I'm directing this at the Tonyandthewhale)

The major advantage of the Rohloff is that the indexing is internal to the hub, as opposed to Shimano and Sturmey systems where the indexing is in the lever.

I'd expect that this makes the Rohloffs fundamentally more reliable and easier to maintain, because the biggest end-user issues with IGHs are down to cabling issues, and once the shifting is off you can damage the hub internals.

Rohloff uses two cables, and is usually actuated with a proprietary shifter (gripshift, I think). Not sure if it's possible to use friction shifters - you'd need two of them obviously.

I have read that Rohloffs are very draggy in some gears.

In any case, I don't think taking an IGH to the arse end of nowhere is a particularly good idea, as you could be waiting weeks for spares. For the same reason, 26" wheels are apparently preferable to 700c.

At least when a derailleur system goes wrong you can see what's broken and jerry-rig a fix. I crashed a bike earlier and the year, ripping off the mech hanger in the process, and it only took a couple of minutes with a multitool to convert it to singlespeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Aluminium hybrid complete with Dura-Ace & Cosmic Carbones.

178188.JPG

Spotted in Tokyo. I like the "Please don't touch sign". I wouldn't with a bargepole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Holyboy wrote: »
    That was an epic game of rugby, maybe the best I've ever seen:)

Second half was fairly boring for the most part, was never going to live up to the first 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Lumen wrote: »

At least when a derailleur system goes wrong you can see what's broken and jerry-rig a fix. I crashed a bike earlier and the year, ripping off the mech hanger in the process, and it only took a couple of minutes with a multitool to convert it to singlespeed.

Good point, I think I'll stick with what I know and put the extra into a good set of pretty much everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Do posts get locked after a while so that we can't edit them? Just noticed that through fecking about with picasa I broke a link to a pic in the photos thread, but either there's no button to edit my post anymore or I'm blind and can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah, it vanishes after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,787 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mfdc wrote: »
    Do posts get locked after a while so that we can't edit them? Just noticed that through fecking about with picasa I broke a link to a pic in the photos thread, but either there's no button to edit my post anymore or I'm blind and can't find it.
    You have 48 hours to edit

PM me the details and I can edit it for you though

EDIT - link now fixed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement