Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Deck or not to Deck?

• 28-06-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

kkkkkkk-1.jpgMy parents were thinking of getting some decking in a small area near the house that gets the sun, so we got a few people into give us quotes,

one particular company suggested that if we were going to do that part why dont we do up to the house so that when they come out the decking is right beside them and less steps etc.

what i want to know is it a good idea to have decking right up to the house or would i be better off just doing the area i was going to do which gets the sun a lot were as the part up to the house does not recieve as much sun..

im a bit concerned about slipping rain, frosty, weather, if its on your door step with decks particulary elderly people, also thinking right up to the house whats going on beneath lol.

any suggestions or ideas be great also if it was not up to the house it would be only on the right part of diagram half it the brown part

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Decking can get very slippery when it is wet and the grooves hold the dirt so regular cleaning is a must. Also rodents love the cover of timber so it is very necessary to have some sort of access so as poison can be laid. I wouldn't recommend decking right up to the house. Its just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi Faolteam,
    I hope I'm not going to upset your decision.Decking can look great and be ideal in an ideal situation.Wet weather is not ideal for decking.It does require maintenance.It can be slippy when wet and does discolour.Some of the timbers used are supposed to look weathered and not stained.The type of timber used is very important.There are several available.Ask the supplier if it has been pressure treated, what type of timber it is, has it been stained etc.Is there a better one?Remember that the cost of laying the deck should not increase if you select a higher quality timber.If it is a small area why not invest a little extra.There is also a manufactured/ plastic board which is maintenance free and in different colours.It also gives a better wet grip but is not cheap.
    A deck should be laid on a cleared area and totally enclosed/ sealed.Rodents etc should not be given any entry point but they should not be a major deterrent to getting a deck.Why not take some time to visit the providers to check out the materials your self.
    I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Decking can get very slippery when it is wet and the grooves hold the dirt so regular cleaning is a must. Also rodents love the cover of timber so it is very necessary to have some sort of access so as poison can be laid. I wouldn't recommend decking right up to the house. Its just my opinion.
    i have a problem with these wooden decks, they will rot in time if they are not treated with top notch preservetives which cost a lot and you have to get a lot of this stuff to cover the whole area nooks and crannies as well once a year, also have to be powerhosed first, nuts and bolts rusting,
    all that work and expense for just maybe 10 to 12 weeks a year, i have a cement patio, box hedge surrounding, all i have to do is hose down patio, and clip box once or twice a year, take about an hour to do, no rotting, will be there in 20 yrs time, and very little outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi Goat,You have a point but not about rot.Pressure treated timber will not rot.Deck boards should all come treated though I would tell people to ask their supplier.All screws and fixings should be galvanized metal, no rust.The colour of the deck is down to personal choice.In the U.S most decks are left to the elements to colour.I was asked by a U.S timber supplier why people in the "U.K" want to stain the boards??The only secret here is to use a high quality product, which will be more expensive.It will not need to be done every year.You pay for what you get.Most deck layers will not know or want to know the difference.Never use a power hose on timber.A simple deck scrub brush will do.
    Laying a patio involves work too.You do have a point about the practical side though.Each to his/her own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

I have some decking in Dublin, was seriously considering putting an extensive decked area in a country property. But when i saw the work involved in maintaining the small decked area in Dublin I quickly decided to opt for a non decked area in country prop. If I could turn clock back I would not have put in decked area in Dublin. Far too much maintenance required, our climate is not really suited for decked areas. Just my tuppence worth !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

secman wrote: »
    I have some decking in Dublin, was seriously considering putting an extensive decked area in a country property. But when i saw the work involved in maintaining the small decked area in Dublin I quickly decided to opt for a non decked area in country prop. If I could turn clock back I would not have put in decked area in Dublin. Far too much maintenance required, our climate is not really suited for decked areas. Just my tuppence worth !

Secman
    yes you are right about the climate, dampness would cause algae during winter months, we are now in july and look at the mist rain and dampness still,
    also my neighbour has this top notch pressure treated stuff, now it is only two yrs since it was built, looking far shabbier than my cement patio which i wash with a bit of bleach in spring, and my beautiful box hedge, mine is 16 yrs old, look better as yrs go by, cost nothing ever, just a clip and a wash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

For the reasons stated above; flagstones or combinations of flags and washed stone/gravel (river gravel). Stamped cement/concrete.

reclaimedyorkdetail1.jpgFH000043.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Hi Faolteam, Before I start it is only right that i declare that decking is one service my business provides along with paving.
    A lot of good points being made here but a lot of misinformation too.
    Pressure treated timber will not rot and will give years of service. Decks do require some maintainance but if done correctly no more than a concrete patio. Decking needs to be cleaned and a finish applied annually this should take an hour or two a year. Outside of that regular sweeping should suffice.
    As for slippery when wet, imprinted concrete and flagstone are actually worse.
    Like any outdoor surface if moss is allowed to build up it can be very slippery.
    I have decking in my own garden and do annual maintenance for customers and can honestly say the decks look as good now as they did the day they were completed.
    If you need any further advice feel free to pm me.

Hope this is of help to you - enjoy the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

http://www.wesellstoneni.com/?tid=3&section=53

Its easy to do , drains well and is non slip

Advertisement