Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skiing Slovakia Dec 14/Jan15

Options
  • 31-03-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Well

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with the following with any recommendations or that?

6 first time skiers/ snow boarders thinking about heading out for NYE from 27/12/14 - 3/1/15 to Slovakia. Was thinking about flying Dub --> Bratislava then heading on the train towards Liptovský Mikuláš & Jasna. Just wondering if anyone had been before and if they'd recommend it? Is it easy to stay in LM and then go ski-ing in Jasna or would you recommend staying in Jasna even if it was more expensive?

Thanks.

All info really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i was there a few weeks ago but i know a few posters would have more detailed knowledge of the area.
    my tuppence worth.....

i found it expensive!
    lift pass was expensive , ski hire was expensive , food was expensive as was drinks.
    this is lauded as a cheap alternative to the Alps , everything was pricey around the slopes!

to give you an idea , pass was €40 hire was €35 per day
    at happy ends pub a pizza was €8 and a beer €3 and served by the rudest staff imaginable.
    thats a far cry from the €1 a pint that i kept hearing about :)

as beginners there was only one slope that i could see , a long slope to the above bar , bit pricey for that!

intermediate there is a lot to offer , i enjoyed the slope to the far right and far left offered a long cruising run.

few of the reds were very icy and the rental skis were pathetic and i wasnt bothered trying them for safety reasons.
    which was a pity cos the main run from the peak looked fun.

thats the slopes and immediate area , loads of ski buses to take you from LM and i would imagine thats where the cheaper food and drink is.

i preferred Bialka Tatranska in Poland , night skiing and more slopes catering to the beginners in the group.
    nightlife was limited but we ate like kings every night for next to nothing and the pints genuinely are only €1.30 even on the slopes.

i found Slovakia more greed orientated and quite western.

horses for courses but i preferred Poland and if i was spending the Jasna prices id be inclined to try austria instead.
    Zakopane or Bialka is perfect for beginners with night skiing and plenty of evening activities.
    flight to Krakow and a £2 bus to the resort.

that was my experience over 2 days anyways

Advertisement