Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some help needed - Car broken down

• 23-05-2007 11:15am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically my gears have been jamming for a while now, and I of course ignored it and last Friday in the middle of Merrion Square she gave up the ghost.. Well I lie, she made it as far as my job which is just off Merrion Square and she's been sitting in our car park ever since.. I'm a girl and know nothing about cars, I asked one of lads in my job to try move it on Friday evening, it went as far as our gate and completely jammed up, took a lot of revving to get it just to move back into the car park.. I think I'm gonna have to get a tow truck in to move it, how much would I be looking at paying for this service and also do car garages still do those scrappage deals?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated :o:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Get your garage to quote you.

What type of car is it, how long do you have it, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

What do you mean they were jamming? As in you had the clutch down, you couldn't put it into gear (ie. gearstick wouldn't move?) or you put it "in gear" but when you pressed the accelerator nothing happened? Or did the gearstick just get stuck and you couldn't move it?

Just trying to figure out whether it is your 1) clutch 2) gearbox 3) gearbox linage stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Based on the fact that you say the gears were 'jamming' and that it 'took a lot of revving' to get back into the car park, I think maybe your clutch might be slipping.

If you car is in an undergound car park, getting a recovery vehicle in may not be possible. Check to see if your insurance company offer a recovery service - some do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No its down an alleyway crosstown... C.D.

Yeah I had the clutch down but the gear stick wouldnt go into gear and it would make a screeching sound...

Fey, it's a 95 Micra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

sounds like the clutch. Most places will charge 4 hours labour for that. Just try and get a quote. Also the standard part cant be more than 150 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Someone made an excellent point that you may have recovery as part of your insurance. If you do, then avail of it. The recovery guys can usually give you an idea of what the problem is, too. Alternatively, you could join the AA, wait 24/48 hours, and get them to tow you; always a great service to have on hand, especially with an older car.

If you get a repair quote, just make sure that the repair isn't more than the value of the car. This may sound harsh, but it can happen with older cars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys :)

Advertisement