Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reporting Mods.

• 16-11-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be fair when a mod is reported any action or not is made public to ensure there is no favouritism?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

kneemos wrote: »
    Would it be fair when a mod is reported any action or not is made public to ensure there is no favouritism?

A Mod should receive the same treatment as other users. So to answer your question it would not be fair when a mod is reported any action or not is made public, as that's not what happens to "normal" users.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Depends on
    Would it be fair when a poster is reported any action or not is made public to ensure there is no favouritism?

They are after all posters too, if you are going to name and shame one then you have to name and shame all "to ensure there is no favouritism" right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Depends on

They are after all posters too, if you are going to name and shame one then you have to name and shame all "to ensure there is no favouritism" right?

most mods in my experience will name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mods are, first & foremost, regular posters. If you report a post made by a poster who happens to be a moderator - It should be treated the same as any other reported post.

If you feel that there is bias in favour if the mod you should contact the CMods of the forum in which you think the mod is getting away with something that they shouldn't.

If you are not satisfied with that - start a thread in Help Desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mods are, first & foremost, regular posters. If you report a post made by a poster who happens to be a moderator - big dea. It should be treated the same as any other reported post. If you feel that there is bias in favour if the mod you should contact the CMods of the forum in which you think the mod is getting away with something that they shouldn't.

If you are not satisfied with that - start a thread in Help Desk.

How would I know if there was bias or not?

• Advertisement

Up to you really. If you have a specific concern about a mod, use your head & take one of the suggested actions.

Up to you really. If you have a specific concern about a mod, use your head & take one of the suggested actions.

Can't do anything without evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

you're basing your opinion on what you've read on here, so you could copy and paste the unsanctioned reported posts into your help desk thread.

you're basing your opinion on what you've read on here, so you could copy and paste the unsanctioned reported posts into your help desk thread.

How do I know it's unsanctioned?

How do I know it's unsanctioned?

Yellow or red card shows beside the reported post if sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yellow or red card shows beside the reported post.

Not always. Sometimes sanctions are not visible.

Not always. Sometimes sanctions are not visible.

I'm guessing the op is on about posts that would warrant a card.

Sometimes you get a pm/friendly warning telling you not to be a dick/stop acting like a dick (as i did last week) would you not consider that as "sanctioned"?

Some posts warrant a forum ban, which isn't visible. Mods may also send a pm asking the poster to pull up their socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In a past life when I was a mod I got a couple of cards/warnings.

I think most mods know when they cross a line and take it on the chin.

I certainly (and Id be confident that pretty much every other mod would be exactly the same) didn't hold a grudge to any reporter or anything of the sort.

If you think a mod is abusing their powers OP then dont be afraid to PM one of the admins. Reports of shenanigans are always taken extremely seriously.

Sometimes you get a pm/friendly warning telling you not to be a dick/stop acting like a dick (as i did last week) would you not consider that as "sanctioned"?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some posts warrant a forum ban, which isn't visible. Mods may also send a pm asking the poster to pull up their socks.
    Many mods choose to make it visible, either by editing the information into the offending post (or the latest in the series of offending posts) or in a separate post.

I think that is good practice, as it assures other users that bad behaviour has consequences.

Many mods choose to make it visible, either by editing the information into the offending post (or the latest in the series of offending posts) or in a separate post.

I think that is good practice, as it assures other users that bad behaviour has consequences.

That is not always possible, sometimes you end up removing multiple posts and just stopping the bad behaviour from derailing a whole thread. So while an on thread mod warning may be visible, it could be generic and not aimed at a particular reported post.

No.

So you think a note should be added stating a post had been sanctioned? How much work do you reckon that would add onto a mods day? In fact it would probably cause mods to leave.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No.

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What point would it serve?

Mods get carded/warned all the time and they get the appeals denied at DRP too.

Well, not all the time. But they're certainly not some immune species to being carded

So, all you have is a hunch & no evidence of an issue or wrongdoing? Yet you ask if boards would change its rules regarding visibility of actions on reported posts where the poster happens to be a mod...?

Seriously, if you think that it is such an issue - PM a CMod or start a thread in HelpDesk.

So, all you have is a hunch & no evidence of an issue or wrongdoing? Yet you ask if boards would change its rules regarding visibility of actions on reported posts where the poster happens to be a mod...?

Seriously, if you think that it is such an issue - PM a CMod or start a thread in HelpDesk.

Don't have a hunch nor did I ask anybody to change any rules.
    It's Feedback.I made a suggestion.

Steady yourself.

So you think a note should be added stating a post had been sanctioned? How much work do you reckon that would add onto a mods day? In fact it would probably cause mods to leave.

I didn't say that. You asked me a direct question, and I answered it directly.

I didn't say that. You asked me a direct question, and I answered it directly.

So that's another no then?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

That was an answer to a question asked. Do I think a friendly pm from a mod could be classed as a sanction.

So that's another no then?

Yes.

Yes.

Well it's impossible to debate with someone who chooses to give one word answers so i'll leave you go on your merry way.

Well it's impossible to debate with someone who chooses to give one word answers so i'll leave you go on your merry way.

I'm not deliberately being short, is more that my answer covered my point of view on "friendly PM's from mods" not being considered a sanction. No offence intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I was a mod in a past Boards life and I even got banned, not just infracted (numerous times).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement