Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finally taking the plunge

• 02-03-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Well - finally taking the plunge - theory test booked in - absolute beginner. Little bit scared.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Get into good habits early, because they are a killer to shake if you develop any bad ones.

If you are a person who learns well from reading and writing, write down all the steps for all the different maneuvers and then read them every day.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theismnationwide
    these guys have some fantastic free videos which you can use as revision.

After you have the steps down, pick one or two sets of instructions a day and go to a car park or just sit in your car. Practice doing the maneuvers in a clear space where you don't have to worry about other people or cars, but check around you like they are there.

For instance, if you pick one day to practice the steps for turning left:
    Stick the car into first, set off slowly forward
    Check mirrors,
    signal left,
    look left as if you are looking into the imaginary road you are turning into,
    check left mirror again,
    make a 90 degree turn left,
    stop the car.

A good way I found to practice getting out into traffic fast was to sit in a car park facing a main road, and then pretend that I am actually going to pull out onto it. I'd look at cars as if I was at the exit of the car park, and then when I see a gap I'd turn so I'm parallel to the road.

I hope that made sense... basically I was away from the road, pretending that I was pulling out onto it. When I saw a gap in traffic I would do the same maneuver as if I was really pulling out onto it, but I'm still IN the car park. Of course you need a quiet car park, GAA pitches are great for this as theyre usually empty outside of matches and they are usually just off a main road.

be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them when you do. Some full drivers are impatient, don't let them put you off if they start beeping or anything like that. If you're sitting at a bad roundabout and you miss 100 chances to get out, just remember that it's better than being forced out by someone pressuring you from behind and crashing into the side of someone.

If in doubt, DONT
    Especially for the first few months of your driving, if you feel any doubt about the safety or right of way of a maneuver, just don't make it.
    unless you are 100% sure that what you are doing is safe, do not do it. Do not assume anything.

Expect everyone around you to make mistakes and drive accordingly

So much to tell, but you'll experience it all in good time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Thanks so much Nipper!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I will seem and feel daunting. You'll get over that.

Study hard for the theory test. There can be some tricky questions, don't dive in with an answer. Read the question, read the answers then read the question again before answering.

Once you've passed it, apply for your licence as soon as you can afford it. Once you have that go straight to an ADI you've been recommended.

Just take things nice and easy and you'll be fine. Any good ADI will make you feel at ease.

Before long you'll enjoy learning to drive. It's a great experience. Embrace it!!!

Advertisement