Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The first broken promise of the new government?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

jmayo wrote: »
    I find it a bit rich that lenihan's greatest apologist is off the mark so fast about this. If only you were as good at criticising the inefficiences and wastage of the last government. :rolleyes:

In case you haven't noticed Kenny is leading a coalition government, and not just a government with FG, so not all FG policies or promises will be implemented :rolleyes:

Funny though you have failed to mention they cut salaries immediately and they are going to cut the perks of ministers.

Also I noted you failed to mention how they are only sending 8 ministers overseas for St Paddy's Day.

That would be 8 as opposed to the ff led government you have luaded so much on here that sent over 20 ministers/jnr ministers, hangers on, etc.

Nice personal attack there... thanks:rolleyes:

While the other things are laudable, the purpose of the St particks trips abroad was to generate interest in Ireland. We are one of the few small countries (only?) that gets an annual private audience with the president of the USA so its only right that we should try to maximise our exposure. By only sending 8 I hope the country doesn't miss out on something because the short term optics are good.

I'd be against the further paring away of ministers salaries because politics shouldn't be for the rich but it also shouldn't make you rich either. If the rewards are not enough then you get bad people and it also attracts corruption. I'd rather the state pay a large salary than having a ministers pay being topped up on the side by a business parson tbh

Its pretty clear to me that the new govt either didn't understand the workload on the government parties when they were in opposition or just need jobs to go around to keep everyone sweet. What else that they have the ability to deliver - outside of economics - that they will go back on?

http://research.finegael.org/news/y/1012375/article/
    Enda Kenny wrote:
    Cut 8 Junior Ministers, 10 Joint Oireachtas Committees & End Committee Chair Fees - Kenny
    Fine Gael National Press Office Press Release
    Leinster House Contact: Enda Kenny TD
    Dublin 2 Ciarán Conlon Leader
    Ireland 086 2391947

Wednesday 11th March 2009

Cut 8 Junior Ministers, 10 Joint Oireachtas Committees & End Committee Chair Fees - Kenny

Radical Overhaul of Dáil & Seanad Proposed by FG

The Fine Gael Leader, Enda Kenny T.D., has set out proposals to radically overhaul the operation of the Dáil and Seanad that Fine Gael would welcome being included in the upcoming Emergency Budget and would introduce if elected to Government. Included in the package of proposals are a reduction by 8 of the number of Junior Ministers, cutting the number of Joint Oireachtas Committees by 10, ending the practice of paying fees to those holding positions on those Committees, no Ministerial pensions to be paid while the Member is still serving in either House of the Oireachtas, direct elections for 20 of the Seanad seats and extending the Dáil sitting week from 3 to 4 days.

"The political system has to wake up and realise that it has to radically change the way it does its work and start reflecting some of the realities facing the Irish people. Fine Gael will be producing further policy proposals on the wider economy and public services over the coming weeks but before that it is essential that as political leaders we set out the type of changes that we would make to our work environment. That is why I am happy to set out today the changes that Fine Gael would make to the way the Dáil and Seanad operate, that can be included in the April Budget and which we would implement if we were elected to Government.

"Some of the highlights (more detail in policy document attached - or contact FG press office) of the proposals that our Environment Spokesman, Phil Hogan and Foreign Affairs Spokesman Billy Timmins, prepared for the Party include;

1. Reduce the number of Junior Ministers by 8 to 12, inclusive of Chief Whip and European Affairs Minister.
    2. Extend the Dáil sitting times to 4 days per week.
    3. Reduce ministerial staff allocated to work on constituency matters to 2.
    4. 20 of the 60 Senators to be elected directly by the public based on 5 Senators from each of the Euro constituencies. These elections to take place every five years on the same date as local and European elections.
    5. Six Senators will be elected by all Graduates after each general election.
    6. Extend the power of the Dáil Committees to hold people to account - in particular introduce new Constitutional amendment to reverse effect of Abbeylara decision.
    7. No special payments to be made to senior management in Civil Service or agencies arising from failure to discharge their remit.
    8. Reduce the number of Joint Oireachtas Committees by 10 from 19 to 9.
    9. No allowances will be paid for committee chairperson, vice chairpersons or convenors.
    10. No ministerial pensions should be paid while a member continues to serve in either house of the Oireachtas.
    "This new arrangement on Ministerial pensions and Committee Chairs should apply to all relevant members simultaneously.

"Apart from these proposals Fine Gael would also propose to reinstate FOI legislation as originally enacted to help ensure a more transparent form of Government. Finally, Fine Gael is also proposing the establishment of an Electoral Commission, which would take over the electoral functions of the SIPO. Its function would be to;

- The conduct of elections
    - The registration of voters
    - The registration of political parties
    - The monitoring of election expenditure
    - The determination of constituency boundaries and the number of representatives in both Dáil and Seanad
    - Advising the Minister on electoral reforms
    - Setting the date for elections to be prescribed in set 5-year terms, unless the Dáil is otherwise dissolved.

"Fine Gael is serious about getting this country back to work and back on the right track. As political leaders we have to put our own affairs in order and show that we recognise the scale of the problems facing ordinary workers. Fine Gael is prepared to make the correct changes and show leadership on an issue that we all have direct responsibility for."

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Just as they are about to knock on doors, can people remind me of the promises ort government broke since they came to power.
    I would like to get some answers off them before I decide who to vote for..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Just as they are about to knock on doors, can people remind me of the promises ort government broke since they came to power.

Well, you could start with " not another cent", followed by "no cuts to education" and then " no more prescription charges". Doubt they'll stick around too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Why do you feel the need for others to prompt you with questions to ask canvassers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Valetta wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need for others to prompt you with questions to ask canvassers? :confused:

Bacause the list of broken promises, abuses of power, scandals and incompetence is so long that sometimes you need a reminder of all of it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement