Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrolux RM123 Fridge

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 way electrolux fridge and it works fine on gas and 230 but I can't get it to work off the engine battery when I'm driving. Just checked a copy of the manual I down loaded and it says I should run the fridge off gas or mains first and then it will say cold off the engine when driving, didn't work on holidays so I don't think it's working.

The 12V is conneced by a socket and plug. I've checked as best I can appears to be getting power and the element reads low about 2 ohms which is right for 75W. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Has it a Red switch for the 12v? They burn out a lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No there is a red switch for the gas ignition, its working fine. The 12 V is connected by a plug / socket looks like a cigarette lighter only smaller.

059300.jpg

On a long drive (two hours) is it reasonable to expect the fridge to cool down from off or do I need to run the gas first to get it cold? It's not at all?

It should certainly get some bit cold . But I've never seen a fridge connected via a plug for the 12v , I'd chop that off firstly and make a proper connection , with insulated crimp connectors .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

on 12v those fridges take a fairly heavy load. I would have thought that a plug and lead was not man enough for it. In any case you will get a lower amount of voltage( current) loss if you upgrade to heavier cable.

I think they are meant only to hold temperature on 12 v but I suppose that does involve a certain amount of freezing. Certainly we used ours in Spain and no bother on 12v.

We also had a pc fan running to cool the cavity behind the fridge, which made an amazing difference to the overall effectiveness whilst running on gas/230v or 12v.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    It should certainly get some bit cold . But I've never seen a fridge connected via a plug for the 12v , I'd chop that off firstly and make a proper connection , with insulated crimp connectors .

I imported the van from Japan and that's how it came, I have to assuem that it once worked so I don't want to cut anything but I'm starting to woinder if the GND connection is gone. I get +12V with a uper phase testor I got that works on low voltages as well, but the GND could be gone.

I'll take it apart at the weekend.

• Advertisement

the RM123..they have the controls at the bottom IIRC? The 12v Switch , is it Orange so , if not Red? You won't be taking the fridge out regularly , so I'd still chop off the plug , and also earth the Fridge body to the chassis . The Gas pipe should be earthed anyways .

pandos wrote: »

We also had a pc fan running to cool the cavity behind the fridge, which made an amazing difference to the overall effectiveness whilst running on gas/230v or 12v.

For that very reason the Fridge vents on the newer Adrias and similar were doubled in size . The PC fan works perfectly too . :)

I know all about the fan in france it was practically non stop had to switch to gas at night.

By the way I've a zig CF8 it gets dam hot running off mains, is that normal.

The front of it? Is the back of it in free air? It shouldn't get that hot tbh .

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    The front of it? Is the back of it in free air? It shouldn't get that hot tbh .

The front panel was say 45 deg at 50 you will move your hand. It's from Japan so it's 100 V operated, to get around that I installed a 230 to 115 V transformer, so it's getting 115 not 100V. I contacted zig about what the secondary of the transformer should be but they never got back to me, might take a measurement (I'll add that to the list of jobs). Or I can install a small fan at the back but there is air vents.

A friends van does the same the thermal trip goes sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement