Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainman1

I've used acupuncture for chronic seasonal grass hayfever and never looked back, most of my life I couldn't leave the house during the early summer even when using perscription antihistimines, but after acupuncture I was able to cut the grass in June, it took a few sessions with the acupuncturist in the first year, then one session before the season started for two years after that, I haven't been back to the acupuncturist for the past two seasons and my hayfever is now all but gone, just get the odd sniffle when cutting the grass that a Zirtek soon gets rid of. Acupuncture worked really well for me, but I'm sure, like everything else, this may not be the solution for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Rainman1 wrote: »
    I've used acupuncture for chronic seasonal grass hayfever and never looked back, most of my life I couldn't leave the house during the early summer even when using perscription antihistimines, but after acupuncture I was able to cut the grass in June, it took a few sessions with the acupuncturist in the first year, then one session before the season started for two years after that, I haven't been back to the acupuncturist for the past two seasons and my hayfever is now all but gone, just get the odd sniffle when cutting the grass that a Zirtek soon gets rid of. Acupuncture worked really well for me, but I'm sure, like everything else, this may not be the solution for everyone.

Cool, I'll probably give it a go and report back how I get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sinlaw

I know this thread is a bit old but maybe this info will benefit someone. Something I found that really helped certain hayfever symptoms and sinus symptoms was a 'neti pot'. It's not really for the faint-hearted but it does work, it's cheap and it's 100% natural. As far as I'm aware, they are used as part of yoga training. It basically involves irrigating the sinuses with a solution of salty water. Up one nostril ... out the other! :)

I'm not entirely sure how but it seems to clear the eyes and ears too.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Is it possible to get hay fever now? Ive never suffered before apart from when in NT in Australia, but im home from college, totally miserable, streaming nose and my eyes are streaming also, in fact there almost dry there so sore..im sneezing crazy but no cough or anything else flu like My partner reckons i have hayfever but is it possible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Is it possible to get hay fever now? Ive never suffered before apart from when in NT in Australia, but im home from college, totally miserable, streaming nose and my eyes are streaming also, in fact there almost dry there so sore..im sneezing crazy but no cough or anything else flu like My partner reckons i have hayfever but is it possible?

All hayfever is, is an autoimmune response to pollen in the atmosphere. At the moment- while the pollen count may not be high- its entirely possible that there may be other particles in the atmosphere that you're sensetive to. It mightn't be traditional hayfever- but its not a million miles away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Yep it think it's possible... My sinus' are acting up since yesterday feels excatly like the hayfever i get during the summer which is awful i don't get the sneezing or sore eyes. I get sore throat, headache, blocked nose and severe fatigue:(
    Has anyone here got themselves tested to see what they are allergic to?
    I was advised to start taking antihistamines now to build up immunity for the summer, has anyone esle been advised to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

take a spoon full of raw honey everyday, as raw honey has pollen in it and it will help to build up a resistens to hay-fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sounds like what I have which is allergic rhinitis. Its basically the same as hayfever except it's a reaction to dustmites rather than pollen. These are found indoors pretty much everywhere although some places are worse than others. Central heating also seems to exacerbate my problem I'm nearly worse in the winter because I don't get as much fresh air. Same medications work for it though as it's essentially the same reaction to a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Have been suffering hayfever since I was sixteen and it has ruined summer for me. I know it seems very early to be discussing it but spring is a commin' and I have decided to take preventative measures to tackle the problem rather than just the symptoms. I have been taking luffa complex every day for about two weeks now so we'll see how it goes when hayfever season comes about.

One thing though, shortly after I started taking the tablets I started getting mild hayfever-ish symptoms - runny nose, itchy eyes, itchy skin - in February?? Could this be a side effect of the luffa? Has anyone had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i suffer very bad all year round. the worst time is usually when it starts in january until october. i found avamys nasal spray the best,it clears my nose but at the same time it irritates my throat and i end up with throat infections all the time.
    i just discovered something brilliant though,
    its a nasal rinse from neilmed. its basically a plastic sqeezy bootle you fill with water and a little sachet mix(salt&bicarbonate) and you flush your nose. its a bit weird the first time round but you get used to it soon.
    its the best thing i ever tried and its natural and cheap, way better than all the chemicals i used all my life
    http://www.neilmed.com/ire/sinusrinse.php
    i only used it for a few days now but i can finally breath through my nose and dont have to carry tissues around anymore
    its available online of the official site and in some pharmacies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Realised that already hay fever is here. Amazing.

has anyone tried immunotherapy/desensitisation?
    im on the waiting list for it(6 months to get an appointment) and have high hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

ge_ch wrote: »
    i suffer very bad all year round. the worst time is usually when it starts in january until october. i found avamys nasal spray the best,it clears my nose but at the same time it irritates my throat and i end up with throat infections all the time.
    i just discovered something brilliant though,
    its a nasal rinse from neilmed. its basically a plastic sqeezy bootle you fill with water and a little sachet mix(salt&bicarbonate) and you flush your nose. its a bit weird the first time round but you get used to it soon.
    its the best thing i ever tried and its natural and cheap, way better than all the chemicals i used all my life
    http://www.neilmed.com/ire/sinusrinse.php
    i only used it for a few days now but i can finally breath through my nose and dont have to carry tissues around anymore
    its available online of the official site and in some pharmacies

Do you know if there are any pharmacies in Dublin that stock the sinusrinse product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pandora_mole

Nearly all pharmacies in Dublin stock this Neil Med Sinus Rinse. I don't know where you are, but I have always found it easy to pick it up anywhere. Dundrum Town Centre Pharmacy on the third floor also has it, as does the main pharmacy in Stillorgan. Quite a few pharmacies in town stock it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just wondering what price people are generally charged for Neoclarityn 5mg tablest?

Usually I just pay the DPS fee as I get a lot of medication, but recently pruchased them on their on own and was absolutely shocked to be charged €24. Someone else picked them up for me so I wasn't there myself, but I'm genuinely wondering if this is a mistake?

Just wondering what price people are generally charged for Neoclarityn 5mg tablest?

Usually I just pay the DPS fee as I get a lot of medication, but recently pruchased them on their on own and was absolutely shocked to be charged €24. Someone else picked them up for me so I wasn't there myself, but I'm genuinely wondering if this is a mistake?

The wholesale price is €10.78- so yes, its entirely possible that the retail price is €24. While I don't often admit it- at €24 for a box of 30- its actually one of the cheapest in Europe (Neoclarityn is sold as Aerius or Azomyr elsewhere in Europe- and typically the wholesale price is 15-20% higher than in Ireland. Its not an OTC medication, and is very expensive elsewhere).

Have a look at Neoclarityn's little brother- Clarityn- it retails at €17-18 a box for 24 tabs, even in the UK its retail price is over £10 a box of 24 (you might get it at slightly less than a tenner in some of the larger chains, but thats the sort of range).

Clarityn and Neoclarityn are both expensive medications........

smccarrick wrote: »
    Neoclarityn is sold as Aerius or Azomyr elsewhere in Europe

Thanks for that info, I got Aerius perscribed by my gp when I lived in Switzerland and I found it was the only one that worked for me.
    Everybody wants to give me Zyrtek, but it doesnt do anything.
    When I asked my GP about Aerius he had no idea what I was talking about.
    I usually take Clarityn when I'm really bad. What is the difference between Clarityn and Neoclarityn? Is it stronger? Can you get that over the counter?

smccarrick wrote: »
    The wholesale price is €10.78- so yes, its entirely possible that the retail price is €24. While I don't often admit it- at €24 for a box of 30- its actually one of the cheapest in Europe (Neoclarityn is sold as Aerius or Azomyr elsewhere in Europe- and typically the wholesale price is 15-20% higher than in Ireland. Its not an OTC medication, and is very expensive elsewhere).

Have a look at Neoclarityn's little brother- Clarityn- it retails at €17-18 a box for 24 tabs, even in the UK its retail price is over £10 a box of 24 (you might get it at slightly less than a tenner in some of the larger chains, but thats the sort of range).

Clarityn and Neoclarityn are both expensive medications........

Thanks for the information - I guess I just think 80c per day is an awful lot for antihistamine.

Unfortunately I found Clarityn useless. That said, I don't find Neoclarityn much better. The only drugs that have ever worked for me are Xyzal or the Kenelog injection. However, I might as well take a sleeping tablet as take Xyzal and my doctor is reluctant to give me Kenelog more than once a year so I have to wait it out until closer til summer.

The joys of having year-round hayfever! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Piriton are excellent for hayfever although I can also use them as sleeping tablets cause anytime I take them I end up asleep within the hour. Although when I wake up the hayfever is gone :D

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Piriton are excellent for hayfever although I can also use them as sleeping tablets cause anytime I take them I end up asleep within the hour. Although when I wake up the hayfever is gone :D

You're lucky you find Piriton good, since they're OTC and relatively cheap. Unfortunatley I don't find they do anything for my hayfever.

I have found then good for skin allergies in the past, and insect bites etc. I work with animals a fair bit and often end up with a really bad reaction to harvest mites in summer and I have found Piriton good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Am winding down my first attack of the season which was caused by dust from tidying out a wardrobe. I have spent the last few hours sneezing, itchying and having a bizarre urge to claw my own eyes out so bad is it. I normally get Kenalog but am taking a break from it this year unless totally avoidable as when I got it in 2008 & 2009 the summers were washouts and light ones for hayfevers.

My entire nose is blocked and I freed it out this morning with Otrivine (great decongestent) but you can only use it for temporary relief and you cannot take it too much

Between Hayfever, rainy summers and fecking midges I would gladly trade our so called "summers" for anything. Thankfully I depart for Australia in July for a few weeks so that will give me restbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Stinicker wrote: »
    Am winding down my first attack of the season which was caused by dust from tidying out a wardrobe. I have spent the last few hours sneezing, itchying and having a bizarre urge to claw my own eyes out so bad is it. I normally get Kenalog but am taking a break from it this year unless totally avoidable as when I got it in 2008 & 2009 the summers were washouts and light ones for hayfevers.

My entire nose is blocked and I freed it out this morning with Otrivine (great decongestent) but you can only use it for temporary relief and you cannot take it too much

Between Hayfever, rainy summers and fecking midges I would gladly trade our so called "summers" for anything. Thankfully I depart for Australia in July for a few weeks so that will give me restbite.

The climate here has to be one of the worst for allergies. I was living abroad for the last few years and my allergies weren´t as bad and in extremely dry areas they were completely fine. I come back here and they´re terrible again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Are there any other options than Kenalog??

Been reading that they dont use it in England any more and it has a ton of side effects but its the only thing thats ever worked for me.

Tried most of the tablets and they did nothing for me. I get it really badly, itchy eyes, runny nose, scratchy throat and so on, god i hate summer.

Triple dose of Neoclarityn, zirtek, manuka honey and pollen traps- and I still can't breath this morning........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Is anyone else finding their symptoms especially bad this year? Also wondering if anyone has gone to either of these clinics before?

http://hayfeverclinic-ireland.com/hay-fever-clinics-ireland.aspx?id=33

http://hayfeverclinic-ireland.com/hay-fever-clinics-ireland.aspx?id=19

I haven't gone myself, but I'm thinking of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is anyone else finding their symptoms especially bad this year? Also wondering if anyone has gone to either of these clinics before?

I don't know really I think this year very good for me personally and I never went for the Kenalog injection I think my susceptibility to Hayfever may be waning. A few simple tips such as keep the A/C on in the car to filter out pollen, dust and other pollutants. Luckily I escape the summer in ten days and am looking forward to the nicely icely in Australia of all places and will go skiing in the Perisher Blue, no hayfever there for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

I've gotten a touch of hay fever for the past few years since moving to the country. Usually when the farmers are cutting the grass which is this time of year but it only last a couple of weeks, nothing more then a running nose. This year - it's really bad - I mean bad bad. Can't breath, eyes are just blood shoot, chest is killing me from breathing, nose and eyes running and major lack of sleep over all of this. Last time I went to the doctor must have been over 5 years ago, I would have to be dying before I pay to be told that I'm sick! I've made an appointment for tonight I'm that bad.

I have all of the symptoms on here - http://hayfeverclinic-ireland.com/

Does anyone suggest that I get the injection or not?

Thanks
    Jim

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Does anyone suggest that I get the injection or not?

Thanks
    Jim

I always get the injection, every year for the last 5 and this is the first year it hasn't worked. I am absolutely dying!! i am getting little relief from piriton. arrgghh,I'm fit to cry!!

only thing is, I always have to get my injection in April (May at the latest) this is what my GP told me as it apparently takes so long to kick in??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's really bad the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

:(
    ChewChew wrote: »
    only thing is, I always have to get my injection in April (May at the latest) this is what my GP told me as it apparently takes so long to kick in??

I went to my doctor last night, I was a bit concerned about the pains in the chest from breathing and thought I may need something to sort it out. I asked about the injection and was told by my GP that if I wanted the injection I would have to sign a waiver form as the injection is no longer recommended :confused: as it can cause kidney and/or liver failure :eek:. It would seem that kenalog is a massive dose of everything you need to combat hay fever :rolleyes:, now they've decided or discovered that it's too much at once and is leading to problems :(. I did a bit of googling this morning and I think I was right to take the GP advise, side effects are a concerned.

As for it being really bad this year, well thinking about it that last 3 to 4 years have been very wet summers, I can't remember any long period of good weather like this so that probably helped us with the hay fever.

I been told by the GP to expect to get hay fever regularly from now on.

And on top of all of that I got eaten alive last night when watering the veg garden. Bloody insects!

Advertisement