Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frank Sherwin's view of Northern unionists

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

When did someone here say all unionists are bigoted?

Do you agree that most hate crimes, racist attacks, sectarian incidents in the North are carried out by loyalists? Or do you disagree with all the links and the PSNI on that?

I have not looked into those reports.
    Strange most foreign people live in what is deemed Unionist areas.
    Wonder why.

At least the PSNI record racist attacts, unlike most of the Garda.

The Immigrant Council of Ireland report a 55% rise in racist attacks in Ireland.

Don't really think many Prods were involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Outliers, and people of questionable sanity, aside the fact remains that Loyalist marching bands are an inherently sectarian aspect of union/loyalism.

Fact.

For you to keep posting a blanket post really shows you up as the bigot,
    Sorry, i use that word sparingly, but this time it is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

getzls wrote: »
    I have not looked into those reports.
    Strange most foreign people live in what is deemed Unionist areas.
    Wonder why.

At least the PSNI record racist attacts, unlike most of the Garda.

The Immigrant Council of Ireland report a 55% rise in racist attacks in Ireland.

Don't really think many Prods were involved.

You must be trolling!

First of all, where did you see that Protestant communities have significantly higher numbers of immigrants? Any details on that or are you making the silly mistake of assuming they do because I've said more attacks on them take place there?

Secondly, pointing to the South and saying racism is bad here too is fine if I want comparing quality of life or claiming we're better down here but it's nothing, absolutely unrelated to what we're discussing and start a thread on it and I'll probably join you in condemning southern Irish people for their racism on a separate conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

More than 90 per cent of all racist attacks over the last two years in Northern Ireland have occurred in loyalist areas [...] Jade Taylor, 13, was left badly shaken and bruised after she said she was assaulted by racists at Glengormley High School.

Many of the racists' targets have been vulnerable women and children including Alison Antoine, a black nurse, who was intimidated into leaving her home on the loyalist Rathkyle estate in Antrim Town

theguardian.com

'Loyalists' targeting innocent people going about their business. But sure isn't that what so-called loyalists always did Getzls?

getzls wrote: »
    For you to keep posting a blanket post really shows you up as the bigot,
    Sorry, i use that word sparingly, but this time it is justified.

What exactly is bigoted about pointing out the inherently sectarian nature of loyalist marching and the Orange Order?

Be specific.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

"Loyalists linked to 90 per cent of race crime"
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/oct/22/race.ukcrime

"This sentiment has also been expressed by the Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC), the PSNI, and the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee which has to date acknowledged the significant synergy that appears to exist between Loyalist paramilitary groups such as the UVF and the UDA, and racist violence which targets ethnic minorities."
    http://www.irr.org.uk/news/an-assessment-of-racial-violence-in-northern-ireland/

UVF 'behind racist attacks in south and east Belfast': Loyalist paramilitary group behind attacks says PSNI
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/uvf-behind-racist-attacks-in-south-and-east-belfast-loyalist-paramilitary-group-behind-attacks-says-psni-30153199.html

It's wrong to suggest racism, bigotry and intolerance is only found in one community in the North but loyalism as an ideology contains structures of thinking much more conducive towards intolerance.
    That's to small a sample size, 33 attacks in total, that could be explained by one or two feuding families, immigrants perhaps living in higher numbers in certain areas or many other reasons. but I am sure you will agree that the sample size is to small to paint a true picture.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/twenty-racism-attacks-reported-since-start-of-2014-256585.html

this is a report shows in the republic of Ireland there were 20 attacks in the first 20 days of 2014. does that mean the Irish are more racist than us British up north? of course not, most of these "racist" attacks are just attacks, if a family is being antisocial, constant party's, loud music, aggressive to locals etc and receive the ire of said local community it's hardly a racist attack, they are actually being treated equally. Roma gypsies moved into the holy lands in belfast, the constantly robbed houses, emptied bins in the street, stood in gangs harassing locals etc etc. Was it racist of the local nationlist community to try and put them out? was it hell. Most of these attacks are jumped on by various groups keeping themselves in jobs.

gallag wrote: »
    That's to small a sample size, 33 attacks in total, that could be explained by one or two feuding families, immigrants perhaps living in higher numbers in certain areas or many other reasons. but I am sure you will agree that the sample size is to small to paint a true picture.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/twenty-racism-attacks-reported-since-start-of-2014-256585.html

this is a report shows in the republic of Ireland there were 20 attacks in the first 20 days of 2014. does that mean the Irish are more racist than us British up north? of course not, most of these "racist" attacks are just attacks, if a family is being antisocial, constant party's, loud music, aggressive to locals etc and receive the ire of said local community it's hardly a racist attack, they are actually being treated equally. Roma gypsies moved into the holy lands in belfast, the constantly robbed houses, emptied bins in the street, stood in gangs harassing locals etc etc. Was it racist of the local nationlist community to try and put them out? was it hell. Most of these attacks are jumped on by various groups keeping themselves in jobs.

You're right Gallag that 33 cases isn't nearly enough to extrapolate wider statements about ideology. You convinced that that Guardian headline is misleading, getting a percentage (90%) from a sample of 33 is meaningless!

But the other links provide stronger evidence, including police reports indicating 750 hate incidents in one year. Plus, they all acknowledge that the majority of those hundreds of reports come from communities with strong loyalist organisations:

"While racism is not the exclusive expression of one section of the community, there is a high correlation between racist attacks and areas which are staunchly Loyalist and a traditional heartland for affiliation to prominent Loyalist paramilitary groups such as the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and Ulster Defence Association (UDA)."

There's hundreds of reports, as I've already said, showing hate crimes and sectarian actions emanating more from some communities than others. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

In my own personal experience, there is absolutely no doubt that religious bigotry is much more pronounced in Irish Protestants than Catholics. There are undoubtedly Catholic bigots out there and many liberal Protestants who haven't a bigoted bone in their body. But when it comes down simply to religion, its largely a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Frank Sherwin was independent TD for Dublin North-Central who served between 1957 and 1965. He was quite a hardline republican, as can be seen by his memoirs, Independent and Unrepentant.

In it, he writes "the solution to the northern problem is for the British Army to get out... The Orangemen would not last a week against the northern nationalists supported by southern government. If the Orangemen did fight it would be a good thing in the long run as it would clear the northern area of foreign bigots".

Obviously, Sherwin is advocating a bloody civil war. However, I do think that more people (particularly south of the border) have sympathy for his views that they'd care to admit. I certainly have seen similar sentiments expressed on Boards.ie and similar online discussion forums.

The British government actually considered ethnic cleansing and even had a paper written to discuss ita s a viable option

(I cant post a link, im anew user google "british government papers ethnic cleanisng")

I think its from a different era. Remember the nationalist community were severely under the cosh with state policies that were bigoted. There seemed to be no shifting the orange viewpoint that Catholics were inferior due to their religious beliefs and the penalties being inflicted on them were somehow right.

He was wrong to make that comment about even Orangemen, but the opposite viewpoint was not just a quote from one politician.

It was actually state policy in NI to keep northern Catholics as second class citizens, and to ignore and collude with those who would attack and murder them.

I'm not just talking about the last troubles either: the Catholic population fell from one third of northern citizens to a quarter in first 10 years of NIs existence.

(the population of Protestants in the 26 counties fell also but most of that occurred between 1910-20 when the idea of a six counties raised its head. That was the precedent for the trend of Protestants withdrawing from Catholic controlled areas. The reason was to do with what they have been conditioned to believe will happen to them under Catholic majority control. The religious movements in NI are thus a sub-set of the religious religious partition of Ireland. Republicans could (but don't) point to the fact that Catholic controlled councils have behaved fairly removing the fear of discrimination as a valid reason for arguing for the Union.)

We have thus a British solution for a very Irish problem. That points to the fact that ultimately British governance must take overall responsibility for the huge issues in Ulster (and Ireland before partition).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

demfad wrote: »
    I'm not just talking about the last troubles either: the Catholic population fell from one third of northern citizens to a quarter in first 10 years of NIs existence.
    Much the same happened down south where "protestants as a percentage of the population dropped from 10% to 6% in the twenty-five years after Independence" (source).

• Advertisement

Much the same happened down south where "protestants as a percentage of the population dropped from 10% to 6% in the twenty-five years after Independence" (source).

Absolutely and the treatment of Protestants in the south is shameful post-1922. I will say though that if the debate is whether both sides can be sectarian, then yes, both sides can be. If the debate is are both republicans and loyalist groups equally sectarian, then the obvious answer is definitely not. Again if the question is who right now is carrying out the most sectarian and hate-based intimidation and attacks, then the official stats point to loyalists gangs. This isn't "my side is better than yours" argument but a genuine appraisal of a situation that needs interventions.

Absolutely and the treatment of Protestants in the south is shameful post-1922.

In what way?

Jesus. wrote: »
    In what way?

Of course there's a massive debate to what proportion were voluntary or involuntary but possibly up to 40,000 Protestants left the south in the 1920s. Big Houses were burnt and obviously not always as a strategic move on the part of the IRA. Then you have incidents like the sectarian Fethard-on-Sea boycott and a handful of sectarian motivated murders. Overall though, it's fundamentally different from the sectarian nature of Northern Ireland and the experiences of the nationalist communities there since 1922.

Again, Irish republicanism is an inclusive ideology and non-sectarian by its nature. We can't equate republicanism and loyalism when talking about sectarians and regressive, hate-based ideologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You're right Gallag that 33 cases isn't nearly enough to extrapolate wider statements about ideology. You convinced that that Guardian headline is misleading, getting a percentage (90%) from a sample of 33 is meaningless!

But the other links provide stronger evidence, including police reports indicating 750 hate incidents in one year. Plus, they all acknowledge that the majority of those hundreds of reports come from communities with strong loyalist organisations:

"While racism is not the exclusive expression of one section of the community, there is a high correlation between racist attacks and areas which are staunchly Loyalist and a traditional heartland for affiliation to prominent Loyalist paramilitary groups such as the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and Ulster Defence Association (UDA)."

There's hundreds of reports, as I've already said, showing hate crimes and sectarian actions emanating more from some communities than others. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand.

Denying it is one thing, explaining it another.

Had anyone looked at experience in other countries? For example, racist attacks in a homogenous community are very rare. The greater the homogenity, the less racist behaviour.

If Catholic areas were ethnically cleansed of Protestants and others over a period of 30/40 years whether deliberately through targeting or through an avoidance of such areas by new arrivals, then they would be relatively homogenous and there would be less racist attacks.

Godge wrote: »
    Denying it is one thing, explaining it another.

Had anyone looked at experience in other countries? For example, racist attacks in a homogenous community are very rare. The greater the homogenity, the less racist behaviour.

If Catholic areas were ethnically cleansed of Protestants and others over a period of 30/40 years whether deliberately through targeting or through an avoidance of such areas by new arrivals, then they would be relatively homogenous and there would be less racist attacks.

Interesting idea but there was a massive global survey conducted on racism a year ago which showed homogenous countries tended to have very high levels of racism and discrimination. This backs up a lot of studies.

While I do see where you're coming from I don't think nationalist communities have any more or less diverse populaces than unionist locales anyway. What makes you think Catholic areas might be more homogenous?

Is it not pretty bigoted to say if someone is a Protestant or unionist they are more likely to be racist? The same people saying this would of course throw a fit if someone said black people are more likely to commit crime while posting various statistics to back that claim up. Bigots calling others bigots. I noted a trend to revise history and claim one side was indeed "better" this of course ignoring the fact that some of the worst atrocities and the bulk of the killings carried out by Republicans even to this very day, I see the same people make a thread every time a unionist insults a language or people protest a flag/March etc but where are their threads on the almost weekly republican murders/attacks/foiled attacks/arms finds etc?

Much the same happened down south where "protestants as a percentage of the population dropped from 10% to 6% in the twenty-five years after Independence"....

Many Protestants had positions with British Institutions before partition (e.g British army) and obviously these institutions shifted operations outside the 26 counties.

Also many Protestants who worked and lived in the border counties chose to move residence the short distance across the border to (be in the Protestant dominated or British controlled jurisdiction presumably).

Ne Temere affected Protestants who wanted to marry Catholics obviously.

There is no comparison with what happened in the 6 counties however. Many Unionists try to claim reciprocal sectarianism in the Free State. That is ludicrous. The Protestant minority were protected and retained their position as an elite class in Irish society.

Here's an extract from "facts and figures of the Belfast pogrom" that will give people an understanding as to why so many Catholics were forced out and an understanding as to why the "troubles" have repeated themselves again and again in NE Ulster.

"A MEETING of all the Orange elements in the ship-
    yards was called for the dinner hour. Hundreds
    of chalk marks on the wall had been telling those
    in the know to '* Remember the 21st." The
    meeting was a huge one, composed mainly of well-
    paid stay-at-homes who had had the time of their
    lives during the Great War, and it was addressed
    by men of the same stamp.

Immediately after the meeting a violent onslaught
    was made upon the Catholic employees as well as
    on a dozen or two of Protestants who refused to
    bow the knee to Carson. They were peremptorily
    ordered to clear out. Being in a minority of less
    than one to six, they could not put up a fight with
    any hope of success. Those who could get quietly
    away accepted the inevitable. Many came in for
    various kinds of attack. Hundreds were sur-
    rounded and kicked. Several were thrown into
    water, twenty-five feet deep, and pelted with bolts
    and other missiles as they struggled for life. Even

according to the Orange Press — which, as we shall
    see, has hardly admitted any Orange delinquencies
    — men swimming from their pursuers were pelted
    back from the opposite bank, and one man had to
    swim for safety to Sydenham, a mile distant. No
    one was killed outright, but nearly a score of very
    seriously injured were conveyed to hospital, and a
    large number of others badly hurt were treated at
    home. Since that day, now over two years ago,
    no Catholic — with the exception, I understand, of
    one or two office hands — has been allowed to earn
    a living in Belfast's chief industrial concerns, the
    shipbuilding yards. {See letter of Councillor Baird,
    a Protestant expelled, page^o,)

When all was over, and the Catholics cleared out,
    a force of military arrived, and the pogromists, as
    the Northern Whig (Protestant) informs us,
    *' received the forces of the law with cheers, and
    the singing of loyal choruses."

The victims of this pogrom — mostly from the dis-
    trict known as the Falls — went to their homes
    depressed and broken enough, one may suppose.
    In the evening, crowds from the notorious anti-
    National district of the Shankill, not content with
    what had been done, assembled at the ends of
    streets leading into the Nationalist quarters and

kept up a menacing and offensive demonstration.
    An ugly situation developed. The military duly
    came on the scene. Some rounds were fired. Three
    Nationalists, who were going about their legitimate
    business, were killed and seven seriously wounded.
    The Orange^ aggressors got away almost without
    a scratch. In the meantime, in Ballymacarrett
    (which is the portion of Belfast built on the south
    side of the River Lagan, and where Catholics
    number less than ten thousand out of well over a
    hundred thousand), wholesale looting of Catholic
    shops, and violence to Catholic residents, were
    going on quite unchecked. Such are, in very brief
    outline, the events of the first day of the pogrom
    in Belfast,
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Was listening to mr Nolan a couple of days ago and a young man from Co down phoned in and basically said that all unionists should be forced out of the country and that we where nothing but colonists with no right to live in 'Ireland'. Republicans / nationalists politicians are hands down better at the game of propaganda, but propaganda in a nutshell is nothing to do with being truthful or honest, completely the opposite, its a game of lies and half truths. The ugly truth that many republicans / nationalists try to hide is that bigotry is just a rife amoung the republican community as it is in unionists community, its just better hidden

Of course there's a massive debate to what proportion were voluntary or involuntary but possibly up to 40,000 Protestants left the south in the 1920s. Big Houses were burnt and obviously not always as a strategic move on the part of the IRA. Then you have incidents like the sectarian Fethard-on-Sea boycott and a handful of sectarian motivated murders. Overall though, it's fundamentally different from the sectarian nature of Northern Ireland and the experiences of the nationalist communities there since 1922.

Any people that were forced to leave by the barrel of a gun or any big houses that were burned during the civil war would have been down to the IRA (sectarian or political enemies - probably both). The State itself was fighting against the IRA so that charge can't be leveled at the FS Government. Almost half of the first Senate was made up of Protestants despite them being only a very small percentage of the population.

Sectarian motivated murders, again, wouldn't have been anything to do with the State. Anyone that perpetrated these crimes I presume were hunted down and brought to justice. The Fethard thing was a disgrace. But once again, it was more local religious bigotry than anything directed from the Government. Indeed the Taoiseach himself had to step in to end it.

What I will say is that it wasn't perfect for them. The RCC was basically ruling the roost and isolated religious communities basically had to stick to themselves and not upset the apple cart too much. In that respect they were marginalised and didn't have much of a voice.

But shameful? Na

junder wrote: »
    Was listening to mr Nolan a couple of days ago and a young man from Co down phoned in and basically said that all unionists should be forced out of the country and that we where nothing but colonists with no right to live in 'Ireland'. Republicans / nationalists politicians are hands down better at the game of propaganda, but propaganda in a nutshell is nothing to do with being truthful or honest, completely the opposite, its a game of lies and half truths. The ugly truth that many republicans / nationalists try to hide is that bigotry is just a rife amoung the republican community as it is in unionists community, its just better hidden

That's actually not true. Sectarianism isn't tolerated in nationalist areas; people just don't think that way-arent like that. The communities aren't mirror images of eachother.

You can see evidence of anti-Catholicism, sectarian attack right throughout the history of Ireland particularly in the NE. The opposite just is not the case.

At least you have conceded that its rife within the Unionist community albeit falsely trying to justify it by claiming the nationalists are no better in this regard.

• Advertisement

It's not bigoted to hate a bigot or to show, statistically speaking, attacks are far more prevalent in one community over another.

The question isn't if loyalism produces more sectarianism and bigotry. That's been answered by organisations that can't be described as pro-Republican (PSNI, British govt, etc). The question is why this is the case?

I'm starting to get a sense that some posters in this thread have no use for evidence or critical thinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Is it not pretty bigoted to say if someone is a Protestant or unionist they are more likely to be racist? The same people saying this would of course throw a fit if someone said black people are more likely to commit crime while posting various statistics to back that claim up. Bigots calling others bigots. I noted a trend to revise history and claim one side was indeed "better" this of course ignoring the fact that some of the worst atrocities and the bulk of the killings carried out by Republicans even to this very day, I see the same people make a thread every time a unionist insults a language or people protest a flag/March etc but where are their threads on the almost weekly republican murders/attacks/foiled attacks/arms finds etc?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332630

There's one I posted a few days ago about dissident Republicans. Where abouts are all these threads every time a unionist insults the Irish language you claim are all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

demfad wrote: »
    That's actually not true. Sectarianism isn't tolerated in nationalist areas; people just don't think that way-arent like that. The communities aren't mirror images of eachother.

You can see evidence of anti-Catholicism, sectarian attack right throughout the history of Ireland particularly in the NE. The opposite just is not the case.

At least you have conceded that its rife within the Unionist community albeit falsely trying to justify it by claiming the nationalists are no better in this regard.

See in my community we have a word for that and that word is bull****. The communities mirror each other differentiated only what church they go to. We are the same people, watch the same tv, support the same football teams, listen to the same music on the radio. The holier then thou attitude being displayed on here is frankly insulting

The communities mirror each other

That's wrong. Other than what's being discussed here with the problems associated with racism/sectarianism in loyalist communities there are significant differences.

There's an insignificant number of Nationalists who participate in marching and OO activities, those are a thing your crowd do. There aren't very many Union/loyalists who participate in Gaelic sports either as this would be viewed as a thing 'them'uns' do.

The vast majority of union/loyalists would identify themselves as British. The vast majority of Nationalists would see themselves as as Irish or some variation of Irish.

There are differing attitudes to education too if the 2-to-1 rate of Catholics outnumbering Protestants in NI Universities is anything to go by. Also, worryingly, Protestant boys from poorer backgrounds are seriously underachieving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

See in my community we have a word for that and that word is bull****. The communities mirror each other differentiated only what church they go to. We are the same people, watch the same tv, support the same football teams, listen to the same music on the radio. The holier then thou attitude being displayed on here is frankly insulting

Why then, does the likes of Gregory Campbell keep getting voted in? The man is an out and out bigot and look at the hypocrisy he displayed this week. That element needs to be stamped out but it needs to happen from within, you don't seem to even see it as a problem though.

PSNI, British government, human rights organisations, international research studies, etc, etc all disagree with you. The overwhelming evidence is that one side predominates in racist, sectarian and hate-based crime and behaviour. This isn't propaganda, of subjective opinion, or gut feelings, or republican myths. These are facts so if you disagree, try to use some stats and facts to do so.

There's vicious thugs on all sides and racists and bigots everywhere on these islands. But it's important to live in the real world and if we want to fix things, we need to be sensible and recognise where many of the problems lay.

Bull**** is when you cant substantiate what you say. Can you?

Ill say what i believe to be true. If theres one thing I cant abide its southerners and some northerners scurrying to aoid saying anything that might "insult" an Ulster Protestant.

There is a serious sectarian problem in the Loyalist community, there has been for centuries. Everybody knows this. For a people claiming to be British loyalists are actually far more insular (and Irish in that sense) than the Irish actually claiming to be Irish.

Your own historians acknowledge that the sectarianism that plagued Europe hundreds of years ago only really exists in loyalist areas of NI now and pockets of Glasgow.

If these facts insult you then youve got an issue with acceptance.

To claim the communities are a mirror image of eachother is frankly ludicrous.

Loyalism has behaved atrociously to Catholics for centuries. This was fueled consistantly by dispicable sectarianism. The type you wont find in the Irish Catholic mindset no matter how insulted that makes you feel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332630

There's one I posted a few days ago about dissident Republicans. Where abouts are all these threads every time a unionist insults the Irish language you claim are all over the place?
    one thread for so many attacks? Bravo anyway .

Junder, I suppose you just have to accept that we are on a primarily nationlist board, if we were on a more loyalist site the same argument would be made in reverse I.e them uns are worse! then of course the many agreeing voices become a circle **** of bigoted generalisation, as I said earearlier the same people would scream blue murder if you said black people are more likely to commit crime. The two articles posted here so far are not good enough to draw opinion never mind condemn an entire people, the first had a small sample size of 33 crimes, as I pointed out there were 20 racist attacks in the republic of Ireland in the first 20 days, and the second the author of the report went to pains to point out that though most attacks happened in loyalist areas it is also true that most immigrants live in loyalist areas, this naturally create problems with social cohesion I. e I know one family who's daughter was on a waiting list for housing seeing an African family get priority. This would affect every community around the globe the same way. I am sorry but you guys are being bigoted, yous are just using article and report selectively to "confirm" the bias you already hold.

one thread for so many attacks? Bravo anyway .

Junder, I suppose you just have to accept that we are on a primarily nationlist board, if we were on a more loyalist site the same argument would be made in reverse I.e them uns are worse! then of course the many agreeing voices become a circle **** of bigoted generalisation, as I said earearlier the same people would scream blue murder if you said black people are more likely to commit crime. The two articles posted here so far are not good enough to draw opinion never mind condemn an entire people, the first had a small sample size of 33 crimes, as I pointed out there were 20 racist attacks in the republic of Ireland in the first 20 days, and the second the author of the report went to pains to point out that though most attacks happened in loyalist areas it is also true that most immigrants live in loyalist areas, this naturally create problems with social cohesion
    I know one family who's daughter was on a waiting list for housing seeing an African family get priority. This would affect every community around the globe the same way. I am sorry but you guys are being bigoted, yous are just using article and report selectively to "confirm" the bias you already hold.

You haven't been able to really substantiate anything you've claimed there other than the usual last resort "the statistical analyses was dodgy" argument when you've no legs left to stand on.

From a guardian article: in 2005: 28 out of 31 were from loyalist areas, in 2006. 30 out of 33.

The anti-racist campaigners at the time singled out Loyalist areas as particularly troublesome "the overt assaults are happening in loyalist areas".

The people involved firmly believed that UVF members were behind the attacks.

In contrast Republicans in Belfast distributed welcome packs to new immigrants arriving there. Looks like the UVF have progressed from their usual game of attacking people based on their religion to attacking people based on their religion and/or race.

Who said loyalism wasn't inclusive?

• Advertisement

as I said earearlier the same people would scream blue murder if you said black people are more likely to commit crime.

I'm not sure they would to be honest. You'd only be stating a fact.

Its the reasons behind that fact that could cause argument, not the fact itself.

Advertisement