Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thread closed

• 19-11-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

To whom it may concern, im not quite sure if this is the correct thread for this or not but if it is in the wrong place feel free to move it, thank you.

Approx a week ago I started a thread in the angling forum on the topic of poaching and the set up of several pages on a social media site. After several responses to my initial post the thread was closed by a mod who stated that it was a troll magnet, although not one of the responding posts was of that nature! I sent a PM to the mod looking for clarification as to the closure of the thread to which I have recived no reply.
    Best regards,
    Gumbo1
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can't resist observing that trolling should be an acceptable thing in angling circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

Well I'd be guessing that although as you say the thread had yet to attract troll comments, the mods made a judgement call based on prior experience with poaching based threads as they perhaps inevitably descend into mayhem? That's just my guess for what it's worth!

Thread in question is here.

Not a Forum I've ever ventured into so can only guess it's as Zombie said above...not a busy forum so maybe not trolling but a lure for general keyboard fisticuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The mod has already stated why it was closed.
    This thread is a troll magnet. closed

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

As I stated, I have already seen the reason that the mod gave for closing the thread and that's what I'm looking for clarification on! The thread was closed befor any troll like comments were made! Could the thread not have been left open until such a time as a troll arrived to allow genuine anglers have a chat about this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sounds like a clear case of pre-emptive modding rather than reactive modding. That is generally a good thing. (I assume) The mod will have seen this type of thread many times before and it's inevitable decent into tit for tat bickering. This is simply closing the stable door before the horse bolts.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement