Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to understand the relationship between republicanism and anti-drugs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Godge wrote: »
    If you go back to the 1980s, they set up a large number of anti-drugs groups. For a number of reasons, these groups failed to eliminate drugs in Dublin. The cynics said that the reason certain groups got strong was the failure of drugs gangs to pay protection money to the IRA.

Total nonsense to be honest about it. The groups set up were Concerned Parents Against Drugs in the 1980s and the more effective COCAD in the 1990s. While many individual Republicans participated in these groups and were instrumental in their operation, they were community-based structures not under the control of any organisation in particular. The IRA may have lent tacit support to them at various times but they also kept a distance. André Lyder wrote a definitive book on the subject called "Pushers Out" which is vital reading for anyone seeking more information on the subject.

The reason you have a smack problem in Ireland is mass unemployment, desperation, deprivation and the age-old issue of people wanting to get off their tits for one reason or another. The IRA or anyone else can't prevent people getting intoxicated like.

Likewise the lark about the IRA using it to take money off dealers is propagandist rubbish with no basis in fact or reality.
    There is no doubt that in those times the hands of the IRA and their SF apologists were not clean on the issue.

Says who? The Sunday World? The Garda Special Branch? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Some posts deleted speculating about drug importation and naming an individual. Posters can pm me if they have any issues.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

Some posts deleted speculating about drug importation and naming an individual. Posters can pm me if they have any issues.

Naming an individual?? Looks like someone's gonna take a trip to the bog sans kneecaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

GerB40 wrote: »
    Naming an individual?? Looks like someone's gonna take a trip to the bog sans kneecaps.
    It was a dead individual. Curious how all sorts can be said about some dead persons but not others.. I expect lots of posts about Alan Ryan are to be deleted also

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97080

We even have a thread to discuss moderation if users so wish. I've no problem with my decision to delete what looked to be totally unsubstantiated posts, you can discuss it on that thread if you so wish.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

It was a dead individual. Curious how all sorts can be said about some dead persons but not others.. I expect lots of posts about Alan Ryan are to be deleted also

Shur that fiasco with the IRA members giving him a handgun salute while the Gardaí just watched on said an awful lot about justice in this country.
    As far as I know handguns can't legally be owned by civilians in Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong) and the IRA are definitely civilians. They can call themselves soldiers all they want, it doesn't change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

My post was deleted even though I was explaining that there was no evidence to back up the rumours.

Because I could hardly leave your post in isolation. Again we have a feedback thread to discuss issues with moderation so we can avoid off topic stuff like this.

Advertisement