Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage Typewriter: which one, how much?

• 20-08-2014 10:28pm

Has anyone ever bought a vintage typewriter?

I want one. I don't know why. I know Tom Hanks has an app for that but a big chunky old 'desktop' still appeals. Purely for for ornamental value. It doesn't necessarily have to work properly and I'm not in it for resale value.

Questions:
    - Which ones should I consider?
    - Where do you buy such things?
    - How much should I spend?

I might spend €100-€200 if it was really nice looking. Donedeal has a few, some of which look decent. It's just hard to know whether you're being ripped off as the prices vary so much. eBay also has hundreds but there are postage costs which can be prohibitive, particularly from the US.

Not in any hurry to solve this 'problem' but it's something I'd like to pick up at some point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say you'd get one for tenner or €20 if it's knackered.

Sold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd say you'd get one for tenner or €20 if it's knackered.

Prices have rocketed as they've become hipster items.

Charity shops outside the city centres are your best bet.

MYOB wrote: »
    Prices have rocketed as they've become hipster items.

Charity shops outside the city centres are your best bet.

Damn hipsters.

Wait, does this mean I'm a hipster? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Damn hipsters.

Wait, does this mean I'm a hipster? :cool:

Check in the mirror if you have a beard.

• Advertisement

Time to shave. And melt all those vinyl records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I have a typewriter, now tell me where to find these rich hipster yokes (whatever it is). :D

I think they live on the internet somewhere. Stick on your Google goggles and go hipster hunting!

Advertisement