Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU want NCT yearly from 6yrs old + NCT for bikes and scooters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Mot in the UK is every ear after the car is 3 years old, which results in better minded cars. Mot fee is £54.85 which is around €70 at todays rate.

It would not be any harm to have it every year.

At least Paddy would have to take better care of his car.
    Do you find Simon take better care of his car?

Generally I don't have much of an issue with yearly tests post 6 YO, but it is an inconvenience and is more time away from work.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It is an inconvenience. But you can take the car in early morning, late evening (at least in Little Island and Blarney you can!), and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

cisk wrote: »
    bmstuff wrote: »

I think the UK has it fairly nailed down. They have fair tax and a proper enforcement system, SORN etc. MOT seems to work well.

There is no mickey mouse stuff and inconsistency which we have in Ireland.

Despite nct etc , Uk cars are still in better nick overall, now the roads have a lot to do with that, however the mot has served the uk well and personally I think this every year nct is a feckin rip off. Nct it today hit a feckin pothole tomorrow and the same pothole again six months down the road. If they are going to screw the motorist at least fix the roads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

furtzy wrote: »
    Definitely should be in place for motorbikes.

Nope. Belgium - Home of the EU - doesnt test bikes, so why should we ?

On a practical level, it'd cost a fortune, as well. Considering how few bikes there are, Applus wouldn't touch it.

And, seeing as so few people actually have bike licences, they can't ride them, either. No one is getting on any of mine, period.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

mitosis wrote: »
    I think there should be a mileage qualification also. Perhaps cars over 80k should be annually tested regardless of age. And, yes, that lights issue really needs enforcing.

Looks like they are proposing something like that:

"Key elements of the new proposals include

Compulsory EU wide testing for scooters and motorbikes. Motorbike and scooter riders, particularly young riders, are the highest risk group of road users.

Increasing the frequency of periodic roadworthiness tests for old vehicles. Between 5 and 6 years, the number of serious accidents related to technical failure increases dramatically (see graph in MEMO/12/555 attached).

Increasing the frequency of tests for cars and vans with exceptionally high mileage. This will bring their tests in line with other high mileage vehicles such as taxis, ambulances etc.

Improving the quality of vehicle tests by setting common minimum standards for deficiencies, equipment and inspectors.

Making electronic safety components subject to mandatory testing.

Clamping down on mileage fraud, with registered mileage readings.

In all cases, the proposals set common EU wide minimum standards for vehicle checks, with Member States free to go further if appropriate."

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/12/780&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

In terms of priorities it's all wrong. There's still people on the road who can't even drive properly. Proper testing and licencing first please. Then maybe law enforcement..........

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

This is great news. I'm sick of seeing numerous cars driving around with broken headlights and taillights. Some people really are too ignorant to have their car serviced every year and need to be forced to do so.

I'm with you on the lights alright, what it takes 5mins max to change a bulb.
    also cant stand people going around with out of focused lights blinding ya at night. and ya don't even have to go to a garage anymore too, since they have them focus reflectors at petrol stations now which are very handy. The brits might have a sh1t mot but they have more respect for there's and others cars. I've lost count of chiped paint marks ive got in car parks at this stage.

squod wrote: »
    In terms of priorities it's all wrong. There's still people on the road who can't even drive properly. Proper testing and licencing first please. Then maybe law enforcement..........

Ya I'd be all on for retaking test every 10 r 15 years, since the test that would of been done 40 r 50 years ago is alot different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

mhigh86 wrote: »
    Ya I'd be all on for retaking test every 10 r 15 years, since the test that would of been done 40 r 50 years ago is alot different now.

Let me guess, you just passed your test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

kuro2k wrote: »

I think he's German...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's every 6 months down here in NZ, but then again it's only $40 (€26) so it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What is the major aim/improvement for the citizen in changing this to six years?
    That is the question I would ask.
    Does it make the roads safer? (What are the statistics for accidents I wonder, how many accidents are caused as a result of mechanical failure or indeed how many accidents involve cars without valid NCT's * how many with valid NCT's for that matter)

I'd agree with one of the previous posters, at this point the aim of this state should be to improve the drivers themselves, not the car they drive. Would save far more lives and as such, money in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

kippy wrote: »
    I'd agree with one of the previous posters, at this point the aim of this state should be to improve the drivers themselves, not the car they drive. Would save far more lives and as such, money in the longer term.

How do you propose we solve the problem between seat and wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Your maths don't add up :rolleyes: What about the test that would of been done 16 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Onikage wrote: »

1. More comprehensive training and testing to take account of various scenarios that are currently not covered. Perhaps a few hours of very basic theory of why accidents happen and their effects on the pocket and the lives of those involved in either school or training.
    2. Better enforcement of the current laws in relation to learner (and indeed fully licensed) drivers.
    3. Mandatory refresher training/test every five(or alternative) years.
    It wouldn't be rocket science but in my opinion would have far greater impact on road safety than the NCT ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Onikage wrote: »
    I think there should be a one day course for all road users. That's a lot of people sitting a course but if we started doing it every 5 years it might be manageable.

It would cover our own typical driving but also things like road use from cyclists perspective of motorists and vice versa.
    Cyclists seem to becoming worse, more inexperienced people making all the wrong moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

1. More comprehensive training and testing to take account of various scenarios that are currently not covered. Perhaps a few hours of very basic theory of why accidents happen and their effects on the pocket and the lives of those involved in either school or training.
    2. Better enforcement of the current laws in relation to learner (and indeed fully licensed) drivers.
    3. Mandatory refresher training/test every five(or alternative) years.
    It wouldn't be rocket science but in my opinion would have far greater impact on road safety than the NCT ever had.

I wholly support every one of these proposals and similarly despair because not one policy maker in the country would have the spine to implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The whole point of this legislation seemingly is to improve road safety.

How many crashes/deaths are caused by 6 to 10 year old cars, which haven't had an NCT within a year, where the cause of the accident was mechanical and where the cause would have been prevented by an NCT.

This whole thing is bollox and is all about the €. SIMI btw are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Can't wait for the posts "moron in the NCT dropped my bike".

I wonder how long it will take for the following newspaper article "NCT mechanic claiming compensation after being crushed when customers bike fell on him during a routine NCT"

• Advertisement

kuro2k wrote: »

No, why do you think that, being driving 12 years.

corktina wrote: »
    I think he's German...

Were all german now, didn't you know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The whole point of this legislation seemingly is to improve road safety.

How many crashes/deaths are caused by 6 to 10 year old cars, which haven't had an NCT within a year, where the cause of the accident was mechanical and where the cause would have been prevented by an NCT.

This whole thing is bollox and is all about the €. SIMI btw are a disgrace.

I dunno. How many were involving a car with no functioning brake lights? How many collisions where a car had no driver's side headlight and an extra bright passenger side one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Perhaps a few hours of very basic theory of why accidents happen

That's very good point, as plenty of people just don't understand why accidents happen. All they hear on tv or radio is that accident happened. It's never really revealed what and how it happened.

I heard many times from different drivers who caused an accident something like that: "I don't know how could it happened. I was within speed limit and car just suddenly skidded for no reason. I couldn't do anything".
    People really think it's that simple, that if you are obeying the law, you are not going to be in accident. Which is obviously not true.

In relation to above quote I heard many times. Being within speed limit doesn't give any safety guarantee. Cars don't just suddenly skid for no reason. There always is one, and it's crucial for the good driver to understand what are those reasons. And in the end, even if car skids, there's always something you can do. It's just drivers who don't want to learn appropriate skills to be able to recover from skid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another revenue scam thinly veiled under the guise of "safety" that of course (as evidenced by this thread) most will just swallow and even cheer!

As already pointed out, this will do nothing to address the large number of people already driving illegally without NCT, tax or even insurance. We'd need enforcement to catch those which of course is minimal in this country seeing as resources are primarily focused on catching those "crazy maniacs" doing 130 on an empty motorway/dual carriageway :rolleyes:

All these accidents we hear about where people lose their lives are of course tragic, but the causes are rarely revealed. If they were of course it might dispell the "speed kills" myth once and for all (can't have that), or it could even reveal some uncomfortable facts about suicide as poor feckers who can't see any other way out of the mess so many now find themselves in get drunk and run themselves into a tree :(

What this will do is squeeze people like myself who already spend a ridiculous amount on tax (purely because I can't afford a newer one), maintenance (roughly €400-500 a quarter) and fuel bills.

But hey, cheer on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

We all know speed causes 255% of accidents. So I don't know why we need an NCT at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have my car serviced at the end of every year and my mechanic charges me €100/120 new break pads as well and now i will have to pay another €50 a year to nct it ffs i'm sick of this sh1t. This will just make me not have the car serviced every year sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

I honestly don`t know what you people are on about. The institution of National Car Testing, or as you all know NCT is NOT state operated, nor state funded and most certainly the money you pay does not go towards any road safety features and/or improvements.

As of 1st of September, 2010 all test being carried out by the almighty Applus+ Car Testing Ltd.-a privately owned and operated company just as any other. It is out there to make profit at all cost, profit that in turn can be used to fund lobbies and put pressure on politicians and muppets to push through legislations that force you and me to test our cars yearly for double profit.

It is no rocket science, really..

EDIT: I just want you to all know that all that horse**** about cars being unsafe or breaking down every year due to age(jeez, replacement parts suppose to be brand spanking new no??)or general wear and tear is just hot air. A 15 years old car that is being serviced and fitted with replacement parts like shocks, suspension, steering parts is just as reliable and safe as a new model rolling out from a factory line.

EDIT: And a quick further reading clearly reveals that Applus+ was taken over by Carlyle Group in 2007, a global asset firm, whose influence in global politics is very apparent ;)

This is great news. I'm sick of seeing numerous cars driving around with broken headlights and taillights. Some people really are too ignorant to have their car serviced every year and need to be forced to do so.

That has nothing to do with NCT. A huge amount of one-lighted cars as-is HAVE an NCT. What is needed is simple enforcement of existing legislation.

The RSA's own figures for mechanical contribution in accidents, is less then 5%-10%.

This is just another money-grabbing exercise.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I'm with you on the lights alright, what it takes 5mins max to change a bulb.

5 minutes on a car made years ago, maybe. On a Megane it's 2 hours and € 200+.....

http://m.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/01/car-motoring-headlight-bulb-renault?cat=money&type=article

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4&v=nXCZ2v-nIF4&gl=IE

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement