Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awake [NBC - US] [** Spoilers **]

• 04-02-2011 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

From Lone Star creator Kyle Killen:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/03/nbc-pilots-inception-office/

Next, Lone Star creator Kyle Killen has sold what’s described as an “Inception-style” drama to the network. REM is a “procedural hybrid which follows the simultaneous and parallel lives of a detective who can not let go of any aspect of his fractured family after a horrible car accident."

^ i picked this out 'cause it sounded the most interesting, dunno....too high concept for NBC and Americans, another Lone Star debacle?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Casting news: One of the hottest actors this pilot season, Jason Isaacs, is off the market. After fielding more than half-dozen offers, Isaacs has settled on the lead role in NBC's drama pilot REM, from Lone Star creator Kyle Killen and 20th Century Fox TV. In addition to starring, Isaacs will serve as producer on the project, described as an Inception-style thriller. It centers on a cop (Isaacs) who wakes up after an accident to find he is living in two different realities. The casting of Isaacs lifts the contingency on the pilot, exec produced/run by former 24 showrunner Howard Gordon. 20th TV-based Tim Minear serves as a consulting producer.

REM brings Brit Isaacs back to 20th TV where he starred in the drama pilot for Fox Pleading Guilty last season. Additionally, he developing and producing a drama project at 20th TV's cable division Fox 21. Safe, set up at FX, is being written by Chris Gerolmo.

Brotherhood star Isaacs had been in demand since the Showtime drama ended in 2008. He was first pursued in the 2009 pilot season but was unavailable because of commitments to the Harry Potter movies, in which he plays Lucius Malfoy. Last pilot season, he received eight offers and went with Pleading Guilty. Isaacs, repped by Gersh, the Collective, U.K.'s Independent Talent and attorney Karl Austen, will next be seen in the final Harry Potter movie and the Taylor Lautner starrer Abduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was about the band :o

Issacs was great in Brotherhood

Tim Minear dont have much luck with shows all get cancelled sooner or later

That '70s Show alum Wilmer Valderrama, The Practice veteran Steve Harris and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit co-star BD Wong have been cast opposite Jason Isaacs in NBC's drama pilot REM, from Lone Star creator Kyle Killen and 20th Century Fox TV. Also cast in the project, described as an Inception-style thriller, are Laura Allen (Terriers) and teen Dylan Minnette. REM centers on Detective Mark Britten (Isaacs), who wakes up after an accident to find he is living in two different realities, one in which he has killed his son Rex (Minnette) and one in which he has killed his wife Hannah. Valderrama will play Detective Richard Vega, Britten's gregarious new partner in one reality, while Harris will play a seasoned, cynical, wry-humored police detective who's Britten's partner in the other reality. Wong will play Britten's therapist in the reality where he has killed his son. Allen will play Rex's tennis coach, who has become his confidante in the wake of the recent loss of his mother. Valderrama's casting stems from his talent deal with 20th TV.

Source, whatcha think?.....Deadline!

Very detailed review of the pilot script....be advised, you're warned of spoilers galore, i personally think the concept is too complicated and high brow for network tv, it screams cable for intelligent viewers:

http://travisyanan.blogspot.com/2011/03/pilot-script-review-rem.html

• Advertisement

Very detailed review of the pilot script....be advised, you're warned of spoilers galore, i personally think the concept is too complicated and high brow for network tv, it screams cable for intelligent viewers:

What an absolutly ridicolous statement. I hate this belief that only intelligent drama can be shown on cable while network TV is only there to showcase cookie cutter fare. Plenty of great adult drama on network TV, filling your show with sex and violence as tehy can do on cable does not instnatly make it intelligent or adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I miss LoneStar, but I'm looking forward to Killen's new project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Preview Trailer

Probably what I'm looking forward to most of the new season.

NBC has ordered new dramas Awake formally known as REM, stars Jason Isaacs as a police detective who's involved in a traumatic car accident and wakes up in two fractured realities. The project comes from Kyle Killen, creator of Fox's short-lived Lone Star and 24's Howard Gordon. Wilmer Valderrama, Cherry Jones, Steve Harris, B.D. Wong, Michaela McManus, Laura Allen and Dylan Minnette also star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

whens this airing?

:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/10/awake-production-shutdown-after-5.html

^ this is VERY bad news!!!!! :( ...Lone Star curse strikes once more!

Production on NBC's Awake has been shutdown after five episodes to undergo creative retooling and rewrites.
    Awake has an order for 12 episodes for season 1. This production hiatus was done at the request of the writers/show runner who needed more time to work on script changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Already? And it hasnt even aired??

They couldnt pull the "being dead" thing for an entire season could they???

Well the managed 6 with Lost so anythings possible i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus.. that's not good!

Probably the one new series I was most looking forward to! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Still no news of a premiere date but there is a new promo out for it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

With all the NBC failues piling up....can they afford not to show it?, they have two shows left that hold ANY ratings hope: Smash/Awake.

NBC is in a bad way, CW bad....The Firm flopped, Chelsea flopped, all it's comedies and dramas are flopping......they've got nothing to lose now showing Awake!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/07/nbcs-awake/

Awake...too smart for network tv?

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/1215968

^ too many dragged up on reality shiite imo!!!!!!!!

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Still no news of a premiere date but there is a new promo out for it.
    March seems likely!
    More replacements will be cycled in come March, including NBC's dreamlike drama Awake and (finally!) AMC period drama Mad Men, which started its last season back in July 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Said it from day one, this is never going to work.

They clearly don't know what to do with it.

Poor NBC.

• Advertisement

• A show like this would work on HBO, but I'm not sure if anyone else would. I remember listening to Mark Kermode, the movie critic and also a good friend of Jason Isaacs and he was commenting on how much Isaacs hated TV in America, how cut throat it was. It seems he didn't have much hope for it all along.

Ridiculous move by NBC if it gets shelved!

Says a lot about network TV if NBC are worried that viewers may not "understand" or "get" it..

.. they are aware that people who enjoy network TV and cable TV are not mutually exclusive.

I feel worse for Kyle Killen... the guy seems to have more of a spark for writing than 90% of those in the business right now and the poor guy can't catch a bloody break!

• If anything it shows how little the American networks view the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Basq wrote: »
    Ridiculous move by NBC if it gets shelved!

Says a lot about network TV if NBC are worried that viewers may not "understand" or "get" it..

.. they are aware that people who enjoy network TV and cable TV are not mutually exclusive.

I feel worse for Kyle Killen... the guy seems to have more of a spark for writing than 90% of those in the business right now and the poor guy can't catch a bloody break!
    Says more about the general viewing public really. NBC will give it a go but it's guaranteed to fail.

I don't think it's about viewers not "getting" or "understanding" it.

It's more about being worried that viewers will be less inclined to tune into a show that involves a certain amount of commitment.

Alias co-star Kevin Weisman is joining the cast of NBC’s upcoming Awake in a recurring role as a mysterious character called Mr. Blonde (EW)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    as a mysterious character called Mr. Blonde (EW)

Hello Mr. Blonde, I've been expecting you

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Just marking this for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

This looks really promising. Fingers crossed it sees daylight soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Finally a premiere date - March 1st.

From Kyle Killen's twitter
    Awake - Thursday March 1 - Appointment television for at least 40-50 of you. Only takes three aired episodes to crush our old record folks!

• Advertisement

• What do they mean by the record?

Advertisement