Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare Route 4-Tracking Project

Options
  • 25-06-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Is it just me or does all progress on this project seem to have stopped. They were flying along for a couple of months. I am told that the bridges in Clondalkin are 8 months behind schedule. One of them was suppose to open in December 07. Does anybody know if the speed restrictions in the areas they are working are based on what work is going on and what time of day it is? Somedays train will crawl all the way to Celbridge others would fly along. I'm mainly on the 18:05 and 18:35 services.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

RC,
    I'm a daily commuter on that line. I don't know what the schedule was but I was thinking the same as yourself but then I noticed that in the space of a few days the bridges in Hazlehatch and at Clondalkin had been knocked.
    It looks like further work at Clondalkin/Cherry Orchard are on hold until the new stations are in place. It certainly would be nice to see more track going down.
    What is(or was) the scheduled opening time of the new track?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

According to IrishRail website the whole thing is early 2010. Not sure why it is going to take another 18+ months. I cannot understand why it should take that length unless it is going to take that to install new signals and test.
    As with everything else in this country the delay is built in so they can shout from the roof-top they bought it ahead of time and on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

JackieChan wrote: »
    RC,
    I'm a daily commuter on that line. I don't know what the schedule was but I was thinking the same as yourself but then I noticed that in the space of a few days the bridges in Hazlehatch and at Clondalkin had been knocked.
    It looks like further work at Clondalkin/Cherry Orchard are on hold until the new stations are in place. It certainly would be nice to see more track going down.
    What is(or was) the scheduled opening time of the new track?

the clondalkin bridge is finished but the one at cloverhill is way behind

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it just me or does all progress on this project seem to have stopped.
    There is a schedule gap in the works for July I think.
    Does anybody know if the speed restrictions in the areas they are working are based on what work is going on and what time of day it is?
    I imagine there is a general restriction in place and then they might have specific lower limits for specific locations at specific times. Changing the limits willy-nilly risks mistakes.
    Somedays train will crawl all the way to Celbridge others would fly along. I'm mainly on the 18:05 and 18:35 services.
    I imagine this is the usual train in front delayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There was some severe flooding in Hazelhatch some years back .

The 4 track project design appears not to have taken this fully into account and they proposed lowering the stretch of track that was flooded to permit electrification during the 2010 - 2015 construction of the Dart Interconnector.

Its back to the drawing board I have been told because the 4 track and the electification is to go 1km beyond the foot bridge and the other bridge beside it .

The old bridge is pictured here, it will be replaced.

http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=yqatk1&outx=1024&quality=70

The map showing 4 tracks west of it is here

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/pdf/Proposed_Main_works.pdf

Status Summary on Project from February Here

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20165/165%20News.htm
    OVERBRIDGE OB23 East of Hazelhatch: No work done, this bridge will be demolished and not replaced.

"Hazelhatch Station: New temporary car park was in place. New link road was under construction to allow OB23 to be closed. Platform face z-sections were partly in place for new up fast platform – in former car park. New foundations are being built for relocating the footbridge (OB24).

Celbridge-Newcastle Rd (OB25): Excavations for new approach to bridge were under way. Bridge is to be replaced, but work not started."

Not too complex to fix it I would think .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ANother 18months to go on this one, I wouldn't worry too much about the track laying as that's the last phase of the works. Building the stations is the priority right now and it's coming along well.

Advertisement