Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easter Nitelink Service

• 02-04-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

How come there is no Nitelink service on Sunday? I was suppose to be going to a gig in the city centre on Sunday night but the thought of splashing out €35/€40 for a taxi has now put the breaks on those plans.

Date of Service: - Nitelink Service:

Thursday1st April - No Nitelink service
    Friday 2nd April - No Nitelink service
    Saturday 3rd April - Normal Nitelink service
    Sunday 4th April - No Nitelink service
    Monday 5th April - No Nitelink service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

There should be a Nitelink service every night. I don't care if they aren't profitable, it's a public service and Dublin Bus get millions from the taxpayer annually anyway.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates handing money over to taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sulmac wrote: »
    There should be a Nitelink service every night. I don't care if they aren't profitable, it's a public service and Dublin Bus get millions from the taxpayer annually anyway.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates handing money over to taxi drivers.

That's all well and good but other services would be withdrawn/scaled back to compensate for it. I've often gotten the Nitelink on a SATURDAY night and there's only been 3 or 4 people on it. Many of the others i've seen going out at the same time had similar patronage. They must be losing massive money on the service at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There's never been a nite link on a bank holiday Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's all well and good but other services would be withdrawn/scaled back to compensate for it. I've often gotten the Nitelink on a SATURDAY night and there's only been 3 or 4 people on it. Many of the others i've seen going out at the same time had similar patronage. They must be losing massive money on the service at the moment.

Dublin bus have already scaled back their Nitelink service, they used to have a Nitelink that left at 12:30am then another at 2pm most nights then have a full 30 minute service Thursday through to Saturday. But now their are no Nitelink service at all apart from Thursday, Friday & Saturday (I learnt this the hard way in February when I was stranded and had to hand over nearly €40 for a taxi).

But I am really surprised that their will be no Nitelink service on Easter Sunday.........town is bound to be packed because of the bank holiday the following day so their decision makes no sense at all. Maybe the taxi regular threw a few quid in the direction of Dublin Bus so taxi drivers could have a bumper night out? It wouldn't surprise me! :pac:

At the end of the day the transport system in this country is actually quite embarrassing tbh. Most major cities have decent public transport systems that provide a service to the public beyond midnight EVERY night of the week, but then again most major cities have decent metro and tram lines but that's for topic another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It doesn't go any Sunday anyway. Easter Sunday is not even a massive night out. It didn't go on Paddy's Day...but did the night before?

It's incredibly limited, don't expect anything..except for the last Nitelink to leave early.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Raekwon wrote: »
    no Nitelink service at all apart from Thursday

There isn't even Thursday Nitelinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In terms of extra services Bank Holiday weekends are not recognised by Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

There isn't even Thursday Nitelinks.

I just checked and you're right, the Thursday night service has been totally scraped, so the Nitelink service only runs on Friday and Saturday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I really hate this. After paying out over €1000 for an annual ticket you find there is no overnight transport. I refuse to use a taxi when on my own dime. On St. Patricks night I walked the 2 hours home from town. It was refreshing and I was €30 better off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ah the good ol days of being the ONLY passenger on a Monday or Tuesday nitelink are well and truly over.

Was really handy,the driver would just take all the main roads and drop me outside my house,I'd be home in 15 mins,if it went the proper way through mazes of estates,it would take nearly an hour!

Must have lost ridiculous amounts of money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There's never been a nite link on a bank holiday Sunday.

There certainly were Nitelinks on Bank Holiday Sundays until 2008. They operated at 0030 and 0200.

Lack of usage however meant they got the chop.

Advertisement